E55K 'Sport' Setting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockits

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 E55K Estate; 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE;2004 E500 Estate;2005 Alfa GT V6;306GTi-6;206 GTi 180
Anyone know if the 'Sport' setting on the W/S211 does anything with engine power or is it just gearbox change settings and/or throttle response?

Wasn't sure if it was similar to the BMW 'M' button on most of their M cars that turns the engine up to max output?

Simply changes transmission shift points.

Thanks. Seemed to really sharpen up the throttle response or give a feeling of more power. However this could well be in the mind but certainly felt like it.

Could work or a remap by a previous owner give the same effect or outcome?

I'd guess that the sharper feeling is due to it holding onto the gears for longer and therefore being in a lower gear for a given speed. It could also be the fact that "S" means the car pulls away from a stop in 1st gear rather than 2nd (as it does in "C").

Exactly that. Does nothing to the engine/throttle or anything like that - the only difference you may be noticing is that the gearbox will hold onto lower gears for longer=better throttle response as the engine will be up in the revs more often.

I notice on mine when I press the S button, my fuel consumption goes mental.....

The 55 Kompressor engines run in one of two states, open and closed loop. This is dependant on engine load, RPM and throttle position. Closed loop is when the supercharger clutch is disengaged and reduces emissions and fuel consumption under light loads. Open loop engages the s/charger clutch and obviously the power kicks in. I think the difference you feel with sport engaged is because you are holding on to the gears and higher RPM and the supercharger remains engaged.

Savman has posted regarding this on the forum

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/1675341-post7.html

Supercharger is constantly engaged about 3500rpm. Above 1800rpm it engages depending on load.

Thanks all. Makes total sense & inline with my experiences. Very useful to know. Seems like a very good system with effectively a two stage process where you know where you stand.

Before I got the E55k I thought that there would be too much torque and not a great drive. Mainly after having a short ownership of a poor SL55. However I have to say I have been massively impressed with the E55k. Really very driveable and a great all round car especially as a 7 seater estate.

also s mode starts the car in first gear, C mode starts in 2nd

And C mode uses a higher reverse ratio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom