e55k Supercharge whine??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
I've seen lots of youtube vids etc with e55k's going mad and you hear the supercharger.

How loud should the charger be? can you hear it inside the car much? i've never heard mine inside but i have once outside.

Dont get me wrong the car flies, Really well, But ive not heard it?

I've had 300 hp cars and Brutus is another level but just wondering if the charger is working properly?

is there a way of checking? it has had a johnsons uprated pump btw and a pulley an map to suit its current mods.

Certainly could hear the 'charger whine in the CLS, especially as the revs rose. That high pitched whine along with the exhaust growl was very intoxicating.

And yes, I miss it ....

No i've heard the chirp just not the Howell/whine on boost ....... i'm going to use a private bit of tarmac with a friend to see if we can hear it ;)

I'm no mechanic but if you have a supercharger you will hear it if you don't you have an issue somewhere!

You'll hear the whine more if the charger spins faster (eg smaller SC pulley / larger crank pulley) and / or you get more cold air in via your intake.

That aside the cars are quite well sound proofed, plus if you have a noisy exhaust, then that may also lower the ability to hear the whine.

Jules

On my C32 I had the back opened up & a filter installed...you heard that OK:D

Could get a bit annoying on a longer trip, plus a E class is better insulated.
Thought you wanted a standard car...yours is one of the most modded :rock:...only kidding:thumb:

How old are you or more particularly your ears?

I rarely hear mine from inside the car, usually only when flooring it from very low speed when the ambient noise is much less, but my lad can hear it every time it kicks in.

Mine is a CLS though so the standard exhaust is much louder than an E.

I just have K&N drop-ins and you can hear the charger when it comes on all the time. It's not too intrusive though. To be honest you hear it more from the outside than the inside - Especially when you boot it!

I get the chirp too.

I think I only heard mine (chirp excluded) once I did the headers and exhaust.

Then I could hear it much more when driving it - especially under hard tilt!

Listen from 27 seconds:

[YOUTUBE]p3rAS2583Uk[/YOUTUBE]

:D

Honestly? Not as much as I thought I might when I first finally decided to sell it.

I've looked at the pictures since selling once or twice, literally.

I think about it when something crops up on here or someone mentions it, otherwise not.

I am enjoying the CL experience - but then that was the idea.

If I'd bought something pony, I would probably have regretted a lot more!

This is all very odd as I am quite a nostalgic person... maybe someday in the future I will hark back with more regret.

I think the relief of never being drawn into a fateful drag race on the road again and reduction in stress are the most overwhelming feelings at the moment!

When I see Gav's - I'm chuffed for him that he finally got one but I've never thought "I wish I still had mine".

Not to mention the multimedia I still have - you never got those sounds delivered like that in the cabin let's face it. :bannana:

Very odd.

I have EC 77mm pulley, uprated belt, ec headers, x pipe and no cats, and I have removed the plastic tray under the bonnet.

Yet I hear ZERO whine from inside the car. And Zero on the dyno...

Still on stock intake (paper filters)

The car made very healthy power just shy of 600bhp on a dynodynamics so its definitely working.

I have ec headers, x pipe and no cats, and I have removed the plastic tray under the bonnet.

The exhaust is the reason you aren't hearing the s/c whine. The E is very well insulated and the driver doesn't hear half of it.:D

Get someone you trust to drive the car past you whilst accelerating hard. You'll probably hear it then:bannana:

Very odd.

I have EC 77mm pulley, uprated belt, ec headers, x pipe and no cats, and I have removed the plastic tray under the bonnet.

Are you talking about an E55K? Your car shows as C63 on the left.

If so, mine was never that loud in the cabin.

I think I only heard it on full tilt.

Not sure why the clip BORKED above but this is the link to my old one - very audible from the outside (from 0:27s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3rAS2583Uk

Very odd.

Still on stock intake (paper filters)

The car made very healthy power just shy of 600bhp on a dynodynamics so its definitely working.

You mean the plastic water shield at the back of the bonnet? I'd keep that but remove the sound insulation foam that slots in it if you want more sound. Failing all that, upgrade to Weistec supercharger. They whine like a bitch even with all insulation and double glazing in place.

If you want more whine fit a wife and drive like a lunatic

If you want a roar tell her she can't buy anything as you need it for your car ...:bannana:

Are you talking about an E55K? Your car shows as C63 on the left.

If so, mine was never that loud in the cabin.

I think I only heard it on full tilt.

Not sure why the clip BORKED above but this is the link to my old one - very audible from the outside (from 0:27s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3rAS2583Uk

Yes my old car was a C63. Now have a E55K,

Ill have to reqruit somone to blast it past me :confused:

Ill have to reqruit somone to blast it past me :confused:

Or setup a video camera somewhere quiet and just drive past it.

Or ask someone else to film it whilst you open a can of whoop-ass on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom