E55k - Upgrades- which one first?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Upgrades- which one first?

This is a good upgrade order:

1. The driver (often the weakest link) - get advanced training and lose weight to increase power to weight ratio.

2. Brakes - ensure you have the best brakes and also that the brake cooling works to avoid heat transfer from discs to pads, to wheel hub and steering components. I once drove a car on track that had perfect brakes but set fire to its CV joints.

3. Tyres next

4. Suspension next

5 Safety equipment next, if it is a race car by all means fit a roll cage. Street car? - Nope don't fit a roll cage, as driving without a helmet in a car with a roll cage: the cage will kill you in an accident.

6. Now start to think about increasing BHP and Torques.

Are you seriously suggesting the driver looses weight? :wallbash:

Its a 1800KG+ Saloon car, not a Radical.

This is a good upgrade order:

1. The driver (often the weakest link) - get advanced training and lose weight to increase power to weight ratio.

2. Brakes - ensure you have the best brakes and also that the brake cooling works to avoid heat transfer from discs to pads, to wheel hub and steering components. I once drove a car on track that had perfect brakes but set fire to its CV joints.

3. Tyres next

4. Suspension next

5 Safety equipment next, if it is a race car by all means fit a roll cage. Street car? - Nope don't fit a roll cage, as driving without a helmet in a car with a roll cage: the cage will kill you in an accident.

6. Now start to think about increasing BHP and Torques.

1. Sorted - passed my IAM when I was 18 spent 5 years as an observer for the local group. Have raced in Porsche Club, completed several 24hr races, competed in VLN at the ring in an M3, and also ran my 69 beetle in classic endurance races including the ring. Road wise I keep on top of my road craft with an ex Police examiner.

2. What's the standard set up? And what's the upgrade route?

3. I'm a big fan of pilot sports, but never run a big saloon so what's rated?

4. Yup

5. Also yup - it's a road car

6. Ok.

And yes losing weight is always a good idea, not just for reducing unsprung weight but a fitter driver can concentrate harder for longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This made me laugh all the way to the KFC:D in the V12 to rebalance the power to weight ratio:devil:

Just responding to OP, whilst i have gone a good deal further than a few people with mods to a W211 E55, with my current experience within the last 2 years and more so yesterday at a charity track day where testing of some current performance cars on track were available, my advice to OP, is, if your proposing to track, Santa, Vmax or TV it would be worthwhile inputting the expense for improved performance over the OEM, however if not, please do not bother, the every day performance cars now, will outstrip any improvement you may see, it really is a total waste of your monies mate, it was quite a shock to me testing a couple of these cars, they where built for the performance, the w211 is a straight line car, but even now the number of cars that are out there to outrun even the straight line is increasing every day, leave your car as it is, spend your monies elsewhere, and just enjoy the car as it is, its awesome as OEM, to try and push further is like pouring money into a bottomless bucket, you will not be able to spend it fast enough, and with exception of one person within this forum, I would guess no body will get to keep up. The monies I poured into my own car, was within an era where the W211 E55 was current, but latest models and other marques have superceeded our car now,:( unfortunately that is progress. my money is wasted, but i have had some competitive fun with the car over the last few years, but its era is over as far as i am concerned. this said i look forward to the one guy here re designing his e55 engine, gearbox , drive chain to new levels not seen, that will be a fun e55 to see. :D

Sage Words Ricky - Thank you,

I started thinking about the upgrades form a " if its knackered I'll upgrade at the same time " the trouble is that very quickly turned into " Im gonna pimp my ride and even put a goldfish tank in it"

Its normally my mechanic that brings me back down to earth with a bump, so I appreciate your post

Whilst I don't disagree with Ricky and I was conscious of the car slipping behind, my previous E55K running at 600BHP held it's own against a lot of stuff and the chances of you meeting the new-breeds aren't all that high.

With split system cooling, a 77mm pulley, larger injectors and maybe even uprated charger, you could well be on for 650BHP > 700BHP in my old car.

But even at 600BHP I killed many many things quite easily.

I would say if you aren't short on cash, it's a "cheapish" hoot to get the car up to some really daft performance figures, and then move around in almost complete stealth.

OK, it might not handle like a GT-R but when you getting the satisfaction back of pulling away from heavy 5 and 6 figure cars, it was worth it.

Although that's why I sold it! :D

Here is my old car if you want to hear what it sounds like with the mods it had...

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/classifieds-cars-sale/213633-e55k-sale.html

Last edited:
The order I have done mine in as follows -

1st set of jobs
New S/C Pump
New front lower torque arms
New breathers
New Gearbox mount
E/C Remap
Geometry set up at Wheels in Motion

I then spent 3-4 months getting used to how much quicker the car was with working pump and map in place.

2nd set of jobs
Quaife Diff
Recon airmatic units (rear) and bladders welded to fix leaks
Gearbox fluid changed

I chose these mods after scaring myself a bit in the wet and the diff makes an enormous difference

3rd set of jobs
82mm E/C Pulley
E/C Headers
E/C Heat Exchanger
Remap redone (for free as done at Eurocharged)
New pads all round
Brake fluid changed

I did these 8 months after owning the car and wanting better noise and some more go.

I paid just under £10k for my 50,000 mile car

I have spent about £6k all in.

I have had about £50k worth of fun putting 10,000 miles on the car on all types of roads, lugging big loads around etc

Car is a total monster and drives like new either in limo mode or muscle car mode. There is no other car I could have bought for £16k that can do what my car can and it is set up exactly how I want it.

Next for me is to get the steering wheel retrimmed and made a bit thicker, there is a but of paint work to sort as some toe rag keyed two panels a while back.

The only other things I may do at some point is swap to the smaller UPD pulley and possibly the split cooling mod.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
£10k for 50,000 mile car - my how times have changed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a good think about it and changed my mind again :doh: I just love it to much :thumb:

Yeah welcome to my world. :rolleyes: :D

I sat on that merry go round for months!

Only sell it when you are absolutely sure (and even then, you probably never will be but if you know the time is right - force yourself!).

£10k for 50,000 mile car - my how times have changed!

Good cars with twice the mileage are not far off that!

It's not the mileage, it's the smileage!

Yeah welcome to my world. :rolleyes: :D

I sat on that merry go round for months!

Only sell it when you are absolutely sure (and even then, you probably never will be but if you know the time is right - force yourself!).

Good cars with twice the mileage are not far off that!

It's not the mileage, it's the smileage!

Mines a keeper for sure - will always get brought out to play for long trips with the family if nothing else.. and the occasional high speed run to the local tip :bannana:

Mines a keeper for sure - will always get brought out to play for long trips with the family if nothing else.. and the occasional high speed run to the local tip :bannana:

I hope for your sake it is.

If I had more discipline, I would still have mine and would have run it until the end.

Fantastic cars, they really are.

Cherish it as I doubt we will ever see the likes of these cars again - exactly as they are now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom