E55k v E63 v XFR

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Need to test seats out on the xfr. But by next year I may get away with 3 narrow boosters.

Need to test seats out on the xfr. But by next year I may get away with 3 narrow boosters.
The rear seats in the XFR are very flat, I wouldn’t be surprised if you got three seats across them.

The rear seats in the XFR are very flat, I wouldn’t be surprised if you got three seats across them.

The difficulty tends to be where the seatbelts go, the middle one is normally quite tight meaning if you squeeze them all in it isn’t safe at all.

The difficulty tends to be where the seatbelts go, the middle one is normally quite tight meaning if you squeeze them all in it isn’t safe at all.
You're right, you normally have to purchase seat belt extenders

You're right, you normally have to purchase seat belt extenders

To be fair I didn’t think of the extenders, I found that the booster would press on top of the buckle once it was plugged in if you get me, just didn’t feel safe to me.

I’ve a three and a half year old, a two year old and my youngest (who’s six months, in the first stage seat) all comfortable in the back of the E55 wagon (211) and now the E63 (212) - obviously three seats accross is a bit of a squeeze but they’re all comfy and safe, has never been an issue for us.

Having had both the older ones in the back of my 911 (until our youngest was born) I became quite adept at finding seats to fit securely - and that’s actually what I use in the centre of the 211 and 212, a Porsche branded Britax seat, forward facing for our 3.5 year old who sits in the centre - it’s a nice slim seat which works very well and is totally secure.

I think with a lot of these things if you’re unsure it’s best to consult the experts. Halfords and Mothercare are probably fine for more general tasks but weren’t any help with finding suitable seats for the Porsche. If I hadn’t found the proper Porsche seats I think Britax also make a very good quality and safe seat known as the two-way elite which has multiple fixings and can be either forward or rear facing as required, along with being compact in dimensions. I think quite a few of the 911 guys use those - so if it fits in there I’d say there’s a good chance they’d fit a 211 in the centre as well dependent on what the other two seats each side are like.

Google a company ‘In car safety centre’ who were very well regarded for advice and supplying suitable seats for these situations :thumb:

I’ve a three and a half year old, a two year old and my youngest (who’s six months, in the first stage seat) all comfortable in the back of the E55 wagon (211) and now the E63 (212) - obviously three seats accross is a bit of a squeeze but they’re all comfy and safe, has never been an issue for us.

Having had both the older ones in the back of my 911 (until our youngest was born) I became quite adept at finding seats to fit securely - and that’s actually what I use in the centre of the 211 and 212, a Porsche branded Britax seat, forward facing for our 3.5 year old who sits in the centre - it’s a nice slim seat which works very well and is totally secure.

I think with a lot of these things if you’re unsure it’s best to consult the experts. Halfords and Mothercare are probably fine for more general tasks but weren’t any help with finding suitable seats for the Porsche. If I hadn’t found the proper Porsche seats I think Britax also make a very good quality and safe seat known as the two-way elite which has multiple fixings and can be either forward or rear facing as required, along with being compact in dimensions. I think quite a few of the 911 guys use those - so if it fits in there I’d say there’s a good chance they’d fit a 211 in the centre as well dependent on what the other two seats each side are like.

Google a company ‘In car safety centre’ who were very well regarded for advice and supplying suitable seats for these situations :thumb:
Just shows it's all down to getting the right kit. I just remembered my cousin has e350 211 so I'll definadefi pay him a visit and test out the seats

Bookmarked that! It looks great.
You’re welcome , I originally bought 3 of them for a holiday to America , but have continued to use them when I have three in the back. Not as safe as the big car seats but there is no way I can get those style of seats in when seating three .
I would just add, I did have trouble with a couple of them going down after about 9 months , I contacted them and they sent me out two new bladders straight away .

I've got a 7 seat W211 and agree with previous comments re the two seats in the boot - max age probably around 12 or 13, mainly lack of leg room rather than height. And if 7 people in car then virtually no space for luggage, if that happens to be needed!

Like OP, I was toying with idea of XFR also, but for my budget (10k max) chose to go a high mileage E55.

Welcome to the Forum BD E55, another s211 e55 owner! any pic's?

Thanks Merc85! Been on for a while but only just started posting. Will put up pics soon. Mines rough around the edges, but slowly fixing the broken/bad things plus normal maintenance plus have a plan to modify a bit (pulley and cooling to start with).

Kids love it, especially sitting in the very back!

It'll be a fun car, whatever you go for. I should point out that the E55K isn't less powerful than the XFR, unless the E55 has an issue - Mercedes were lying...

Would have to be the E55K for me. The XF even in XFR guise does nothing for me. Never liked the interior of an XF. Had an XJ X351 and loved it. The XJ SuperSport and later XJR's are fab but even the earlier XJ SS is just outside your budget.

Maserati QP is in your budget which is an option not mentioned.

So I bought an F25 X3 35d. :(

It just ticked all the family friendly and daily practicality boxes especially considering the missus will be driving it.

A lot of chaps (like me) seem to bottle-it in these head v heart decisions :wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom