E63 (212) pano sunroof broken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rich764089

MB Enthusiast
Car
E63 AMG S212 5.5, W221 S500, W220 S600, GBS Zero, Defender Wolf 110, Audi A6 BiTdi, Octavia vRS
Yesterday my pano sunroof got stuck open and wouldn't close. It would close so far, then reopen as if it had hit something on the runners. Can't see anything obvious though, and seems reasonably well greased. When trying to shut, it sounds as though the motor is slowing and whirring to a stop.

I eventually got it shut by manually forcing it whilst my partner used the switch from the inside, as there was a torrential shower on the way. So I hope I haven't caused more damage.

Thoughts and advice on this very welcome if anyone has had a similar problem.

Can anyone tell me if the sunroof runs off auxiliary or main battery please?

If the sliding sunroof is obstructed during closing and reopens
again slightly:
X Immediately after the sliding sunroof blocks, pull the switch in the overhead control panel down to the point of resist-
ance and hold it until the sliding sunroof is closed.
The sliding sunroof is closed with increased force.
If the sliding sunroof is obstructed again during closing and then
reopens slightly:
Immediately after the sliding sunroof blocks, pull the switch in the overhead control panel down to the point of resist-
ance and hold it until the sliding sunroof is closed.
The sliding sunroof is closed without the anti-entrapment feature

Thank you! I think I've tried that already along with other other combinations I found online! I've cleaned and re greased the runners but still have the issue.

Main battery was a little low so it's now charging. Not optimistic this was the issue though as this happened with the engine on...

Runners dry, coupled with the high ambient temperatures we've been getting possibly? It doesn't take much resistance before the panel stops.

Pete
Thanks. Finally got this sorted today. I sprayed silicon grease in the rubber seals/guide where it's difficult to get solid grease. Following great advice from another thread on here. This seems to have done the job, so I'm extremely happy. There is still a very slight judder on closing, but considering what a nightmare it was to close previously I'll settle for this.

Thanks. Finally got this sorted today. I sprayed silicon grease in the rubber seals/guide where it's difficult to get solid grease. Following great advice from another thread on here. This seems to have done the job, so I'm extremely happy. There is still a very slight judder on closing, but considering what a nightmare it was to close previously I'll settle for this.
This is the proper stuff for the roof - Mercedes Benz Sunroof Lubrication Grease Paste - Gleitpaste + BRUSH + GLOVES | eBay

Glad you're on the way to sorting it!

Pete

Thanks Pete. That's actually exactly what I bought and applied after a thorough clean. But it didn't solve the problem as the issue appears to have been needing lube between the rubber seals for the runner and it's not really possible to apply that grease there... at least not without mess! Indeed, all the vids etc just show applying grease to the easily accessible runners when the sunroof is open.

Good excuse for a drive in the sun to celebrate 😁

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom