E63 6.2 review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Agreed, id like to experience the 6.2, Not sure if i could live with one and the added worry of its foibles.
Coming from forced induction, you'd probably think the same as this guy (and me). But try one out Gav, see for yourself and let us know.

Possibly Roger, My Triumph Motorcycle is like that, I had 1000cc V-Twin before, loads of Low down Grunt without having to rev it to get the best from it.

My Wifes Honda "People carrier" yes i know, But it has 190hp but the V-tec doesnt kick in till around 4k so i find it blooming hard work to over take stuff always having to down it a gear or so has there is zero torque.

Believe it or not i did have a little play with my 211 on a local back road , And tbf how people say they dont handle confuses me.

I found the handling great in sport 1 with Manual mode on the box, Didn't really matter what gear you were in exiting a bend, 2nd and 3rd was the only gears i needed pmsl.

Agreed, id like to experience the 6.2, Not sure if i could live with one and the added worry of its foibles.
There really is no need to worry, especially if you buy one which has been well cared for, and ideally one which has had preventative maintenance too. The M156 really is a peach.

Possibly Roger, My Triumph Motorcycle is like that, I had 1000cc V-Twin before, loads of Low down Grunt without having to rev it to get the best from it.

My Wifes Honda "People carrier" yes i know, But it has 190hp but the V-tec doesnt kick in till around 4k so i find it blooming hard work to over take stuff always having to down it a gear or so has there is zero torque.
The M156/9 uses VVT but it doesn’t lack torque at low revs, the power delivery is completely different to the M113k, and completely different to the M157 and M177/8 too.

With the exception of a certain someone, coming from forced induction to n/a you will notice the difference.
If you'd never experienced forced induction, getting into an E63 n/a would be impressive.

As Skd84 says, "Those who know, know";):D

As for reliability, even I wouldn't worry about that in an M156. They are a really good engine and the head bolt issue is overstated IMO.

Believe it or not i did have a little play with my 211 on a local back road , And tbf how people say they dont handle confuses me.

I found the handling great in sport 1 with Manual mode on the box, Didn't really matter what gear you were in exiting a bend, 2nd and 3rd was the only gears i needed pmsl.

I'm taking part in a project with a couple of friends to rebuild the M96 engine (found in the 996 model 911).

We're making two versions, one a 3.7 and the other a 3.9, both running ITB's, high lift cams, larger valves, and a rev limit of 8,500, amongst a load of other stuff.

At the moment my 996 has the 3.4 in it (we're building the engines from in my case a new short-block from Porsche, in Martin's case from second hand engines he's bought), and the contrast to the E63 is interesting.

Thing is, they're such very different cars that they actually enhance the experience of the other - one is very much an analogue experience, the other very digital. Obviously there's 20 years between the two of them, but it goes a lot deeper than that I think.

Well i've had plenty of Big N/a's and Plenty of Forced induction vehicles, Also depends on what body its in too and what that car is about.

Getting that itch for a change, for no real reason. I find myself using the car differently more pleasure and not needing so much space eg 7 seats, not that really matters the s211 is such a universal vehicle.

Another trip to London tomorrow 200 miles which tbh suites the car well.

Coming from forced induction, you'd probably think the same as this guy (and me). But try one out Gav, see for yourself and let us know.

🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱

With the exception of a certain someone, coming from forced induction to n/a you will notice the difference.
If you'd never experienced forced induction, getting into an E63 n/a would be impressive.

As Skd84 says, "Those who know, know";):D

As for reliability, even I wouldn't worry about that in an M156. They are a really good engine and the head bolt issue is overstated IMO.
🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱

This guy says that, that guy said this.

Ive experienced both all be it in different bodies. W211 E55k in a straight line goes like a rocket. Fantastic engine.

W212 with the 6.2. feels just as quick to me on a straight, but has a higher rev limit. If the road allows it gets scary way up the range. It just keeps pulling. In any gear it pulls like a train. Constant power. No delay.

W211 where it's let down for me on standard suspension is cornering it doesn't hold a candle to the w212. Admitted there is a big difference in technology, but the W212 with the 6.2 is very very capable car.

The M156 has to be experienced. Not only a test drive it has to be driven for period of time!!!!!

Ive experienced both all be it in different bodies. W211 E55k in a straight line goes like a rocket. Fantastic engine.

W212 with the 6.2. feels just as quick to me on a straight, but has a higher rev limit. If the road allows it gets scary way up the range. It just keeps pulling. In any gear it pulls like a train. Constant power. No delay.

W211 where it's let down for me on standard suspension is cornering it doesn't hold a candle to the w212. Admitted there is a big difference in technology, but the W212 with the 6.2 is very very capable car.
So you’re comparing the 55k to the 6.2 by comparing the W211 and W212 chassis? I think everyone would agree the W212 handles slightly better (being a more up to date and modern chassis)... also which E55 are you driving on ‘standard’ suspension? I’m sure they all had airmatic?

So what exactly are you comparing? The W211 and the W212, or the engines?

So you’re comparing the 55k to the 6.2 by comparing the W211 and W212 chassis? I think everyone would agree the W212 handles slightly better (being a more up to date and modern chassis)... also which E55 are you driving on ‘standard’ suspension? I’m sure they all had airmatic?

So what exactly are you comparing? The W211 and the W212, or the engines?

Yes I know they had airmatic, thats my point, it's great set up. But not set up to throw it about without changing the suspension to a more sportier set up!

It's not slightly better it's much better. I've had both variants I can vouch for that !!

Don't worry I'm not digging the E55K I'm just giving my thoughts on my current car and my previous AMG!

No doubt the W213 chassis is better than that of the W212. But I have read owners harp on about the suspension being that little less forgiving on certain road surfaces to that of the W212.

Last edited:
TLDR, W212 with M156 is the best car in the world. Ever. Period. The M113K, the M157 and the 4.0TT are all poo poo.

It’s true because Chris said so. All other cars are poo

Thanks 350cls

Last edited:
TLDR, W212 with M156 is the best car in the world. Ever. Period. The M113K, the M157 and the 4.0TT are all poo poo.

Thanks 350cls

I wouldn't go that far but it is a brilliant car for its "size" to chuck around.

Chris Harris states this in the first thread I posted.

The car that just keeps on giving...a bad back ;)

When I was looking to buy an AMG after my E55k. I was unsure if the W212 E63 "6.2" engine would be a let down to that of the E55K W211.

I was under the impression it would be from info I received. The info couldn't be more "wrong" in my opinion.

The power applied in both is very similar but it's applied and feels totally different,Throughout the range. The performance of either engine would not have any owner left short. Both fantastic performaning engines.

Now, on a chassis front, the W212 feels much more agile than that of the softer W211. The W212 shrinks around you in the Twisties where the W211 doesn't corner as good.

I personally don't feel short changed coming from a standard E55k. The W212 E63 6.2 is as good as the W211 E55k if not better in my opinion.

The gear box is obviously newer tech, but suits that of the 6.2 lump. The MCT is rather fun. It's great fun.

Would I do the switch again. 100% I would, the noise of the engine alone, had me hooked.

N/A power should not be taken lightly.

The thing the M113k has in its favour, it's a more tuneable lump. I don't feel I need to tune the M156. It's perfect for my liking 😊😊👍

Did I mention the the active multi contour seats. They are bliss for my twisted back, they are delightful 👍👍

So as promised, I can confirm the steering/seating being off alignment is a Mercedes thing not just the 212, this is my 2004 e55, phone in the centre of head rest taking picture, you can see the wheel is about 5 degrees off centre.
View attachment 105996
Dam i love a torquey car 469 HP @ 6100 RPM; 516 LB-FT which is why i like Forced induction ;)
I think the difference is that all three are out of line in the W212 - neither the steering, the pedals or the seat align.

Obviously doesn’t physically bother some people - and that’s fine - but it did me, I could never get comfy and it would drive me mad along with two other things; the door card armrest is a bit too low and the top of the door card a bit too high so it’s hard to get your right arm comfy on long journeys and also, when I did get the seat somewhere half comfortable I couldn’t see the top of the speedo dial!

I think the difference is that all three are out of line in the W212 - neither the steering, the pedals or the seat align.

Obviously doesn’t physically bother some people - and that’s fine - but it did me, I could never get comfy and it would drive me mad along with two other things; the door card armrest is a bit too low and the top of the door card a bit too high so it’s hard to get your right arm comfy on long journeys and also, when I did get the seat somewhere half comfortable I couldn’t see the top of the speedo dial!

What engine did you have, 3rd time of asking?

None of the above bother me at all. The seats in my w212 I find much more comfortable than the Seats that were in the w211 55. 🤷

The pictures Merc85 uploaded earlier in the thread, seem to highlight what you have stated above, regarding the pedals/wheel with the w211. " Not that I noticed this when I had the 55". Neither with the S211 320.

When I was looking to buy an AMG after my E55k. I was unsure if the W212 E63 "6.2" engine would be a let down to that of the E55K W211.
Do you think the M157 5.5 TT (or M177 4.0 TT) would be a let down after the M156 6.2 NA?

Do you think the M157 5.5 TT (or M177 4.0 TT) would be a let down after the M156 6.2 NA?

This thread has become sensible again, so I'm back. I've had the 550 bhp 5.5 tt M157 E63 and two M113K E55s. The M157 made the M113 seem a bit slow, so I rather doubt it.

JC liked the M156, but wouldn't have it in a W212; the car's ugly ihho...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom