e63 AMG Blown Engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tim amg

Car
e63 amg
e63 - full service history - 50k miles
engine has has total blow up - as these are "sealed units" it needs a new engine
mb warranty will not fix - for 2 reasons
1 - the car was over the service limit - by 700 miles and 3 months - this confuses me - yes it was 700 miles over but this is within the variation allowed - but 3 months - how can it be three months over when the message on the dash states miles to the service and then miles exceeded - IT DOESN'T GIVE A TIME DOES IT

2 - the value of the new engine - fitted is more than the purchase price of the car - so mb warranty (its not actually mb - its mondial alliance) are trying to get out of it - CAN I USE MB WARRANTY MONEY TO GET AN INDEPENDENT TO FIT A NEW ENGINE - bet that it can be done for less than 29k which was the purchase price of car

any advice much appreciated
tim

Hi Tim and welcome to the forum.Sorry to hear about this mate,I bet you`re gutted
In a way I can see what they`re saying and to them is good enough exuse for refusing

Have you considered looking for a used engine?

What has caused it to blow up ?

A 'sealed unit' ? what is that ? suspect a good indy could repair it for you.

Give Ollie a call at PCS , he will be able to advise. They are sponsors on here.

The 3 months may refer to the minimum of a once yearly interval inspection which is now obligatory for MB warranty? afaik. e.g. Many models produced from 2007 have fixed service intervals. Services alternate from A to B and occur every 15,500 miles or after one year, whichever comes sooner. These fixed service intervals make it easier for you to plan your servicing around your schedule, making it less likely for you to miss a service. http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/con...nce/understanding_your/service_intervals.html

For more information on the service display, please see your Owner's Manual –Operation/Service section. You probably need to legal advice on this and to pore over the small print in the Mondial warranty which may be based on strict adherence to official MB service recommendations. Only then will you know if you have a case or not. Be prepared to " negotiate" down to a second hand engine if they dig their heels in would be one possible avenue to explore.

Last edited:
The first point on if your claim is valid you probably should get some legal advice.

On the second point, repair may be an option but it would depend on how it let go. If it is a piston or block issue the likely best option will be a 2nd hand unit, I recently looked into cost of rebuilding an AMG engine the cost of parts alone will rack through £10k easily. Used 63 engines typically go for £6-7k so it is probably the better option than rebuild.

Best of luck

Savman's advice makes sense.

I'm also curious too... how did it blow up?

What were the circumstances?

I would be loking at fitting a second hand unit with a warranty.

Do you know how it blew up?

AMG engines are not what they used to be.

I would be loking at fitting a second hand unit with a warranty.

Do you know how it blew up?

AMG engines are not what they used to be.

Wonder if it was the front timing gear/ balancer shaft issue or was that addressed at all in the AMG V8 engines . :dk: If so would the engine not have been subject to a recall [ maybe not in the UK??] or at least the issue picked up at a standard MB service in the form of "out of range" fault codes?

I don't have my Tier 1 Warranty docs anymore, but I am pretty certain that the car had to be serviced at a main dealer within 1,000 miles over if you hit the mileage limit or one month over if it was time based (i.e. you did not reach the miles for a service within one year).

I can also confirm that Mondial are a bunch of shysters (allegedly) - I had numerous claims turned down for dubious reasons, meaning I had to pay for repair costs over & above the already mega expensive warranty. This was one of the reasons I abandoned Mercedes as a brand.

Why was the car not serviced on time? If you have a reasonable excuse, then it must be worthwhile taking it up with them again and if necessary complain to the Insurance Ombudsman

Financial Ombudsman Service

I assume we are talking a very significant amount of money here, so you will have to keep on fighting.

Good luck.

Two options as I see it

Rebuild in the Uk is not an option due to the rip off prices of the parts, however rebuild in Germany by one of the reputable motorsport companies maybe an option, never had a C63 done but had AMG engines rebuilt in Germany in the past would have to dig out the invoices but I know they were no where near 29k including shipping both ways.

Alternatively fit a second hand unit as mentioned a good one will set you back about £7.5k then get it fitted by a trusted independent that knows performance cars, my choice would be Olly at PCS.

Just my twopenneth and confirms my opinion that warranties are not worth the paper they are written on.

I don't have my Tier 1 Warranty docs anymore, but I am pretty certain that the car had to be serviced at a main dealer within 1,000 miles over if you hit the mileage limit or one month over if it was time based (i.e. you did not reach the miles for a service within one year).

You're right...

"1000 miles or four weeks either side of stipulated service schedule"

There was a chap on here whose CLS63 blew up last year at VMax - he had it rebuilt but shifted it on once complete.

I cannot remember his name. I looked through a few VMax threads in the events section but still couldn't find it.

Good luck.

S

What is wrong with the current engine?

need a lot more info here.

What year is the car, what actually happened? What parts are actually faulty?

There was a chap on here whose CLS63 blew up last year at VMax - he had it rebuilt but shifted it on once complete.

I cannot remember his name. I looked through a few VMax threads in the events section but still couldn't find it.

Good luck.

S

It was sheepy67.....problem with the right engine bank.

yes it was a CLS 55 but now does own a E63.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom