E63 and Waze break Cannonball Run record

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anglaslt

SUPPORTER
Car
LHD Brabus B63S (CL63 AMG) and RHD X3 M40i
images

I can only marvel at the ability of the drivers to maintain such elevated speeds for such long periods, which takes massive concentration levels.

Looking at the interior shots I see they had the sense to use a car with the heated and cooled Dynamic Multi-Contour Seats option, so at least they could cool and massage their derrieres while doing it :D

Last edited:
I guess they don't get prosecuted because an individual state would need to prove that they averaged a certain speed there in order to have a case??

Amazing. It’s about 2500 miles and the article says they only spent 22 minutes stopped for fuel. It must be about 10 full tanks to go that far at that speed, so I was wondering how they managed not to stop for longer. Then I saw the picture of what looks like some kind of auxiliary fuel tank!

21777812-7752593-The_trio_had_a_Waze_which_is_a_traffic_avoiding_and_hazard_detec-a-67_1575434387356.jpg

i was just wondering what the equivalent distance is in Europe. Turns out that if you started in Calais and drove the same distance, you’d end up in Syria or Lebanon! Even Moscow is not as far from here as NY-LA...

They did use a fuel cell, and filled from two pumps, at one station they had helpers waiting nozzles in hand, there is a vid on you tube in the Vinwiki series detailing the attempt, in most shots you can see the speed on a gps type device, mostly over 100 constantly and i saw 147 on there in one shot, radar jammers, thermal cameras and other tech.

Max speed of 193mph displayed on their Garmin at 03:40.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

K

Max speed of 193mph displayed on their Garmin at 03:40.

Very interesting video. With all the evidence and confessions there (e.g. having 2 sets of numberplates!) I am still amazed the US authorities haven't taken some kind of action!

Loved the video, some of my favourite phrases:

“The car was de-tuned down to 700whp, just for safety’s sake - I figured that was plenty enough to get the job done”

“The car was fitted with... brake and tail light kill switches”

“Even if you gave me a half-million dollars... you simply can’t get a better car for this type of job”

“We encountered a variable we hadn’t planned for...deer”

“Somebody did get pulled over for 130mph, but it wasn’t us!”

Very interesting video. With all the evidence and confessions there (e.g. having 2 sets of numberplates!) I am still amazed the US authorities haven't taken some kind of action!
As per post 5, maybe it’s an anomaly of the fact that speeding is an offence in state law and it’d be hard for any one state to make a case. There’s presumably no federal authority with jurisdiction over speeding.

I am still amazed the US authorities haven't taken some kind of action!
As always, the simplest explanations are the best: The story was not made public until after the statute of limitations date(s) were reached for all of the possible offences, meaning prosecution is impossible.

There is a great piece where they creep up on a Dodge Charger (police car) and so have to drop speed and pace the car. Said charger leaves the highway at an exit BUT rejoins behind them. They reckon it cost them 20ish minutes.

As always, the simplest explanations are the best: The story was not made public until after the statute of limitations date(s) were reached for all of the possible offences, meaning prosecution is impossible.

The run was done on November 10-11 ... seems strange that the SOL for all possible offences (not just speeding but also the laser jammers, 2 sets of numberplates, etc.) would be just 3 weeks but I guess they must have taken legal advice! I did read one quote that they weren't going to release any incriminating video for at least 1 year to avoid the risk of prosecution.

As per post 5, maybe it’s an anomaly of the fact that speeding is an offence in state law and it’d be hard for any one state to make a case. There’s presumably no federal authority with jurisdiction over speeding.

In the UK I assume you would be prosecuted for dangerous driving rather than speeding, but maybe that doesn't exist in the US. I think they were also breaking other laws e.g. using the brake & tail light kill switches, laser jammers, carrying different plates, etc.

seems strange that the SOL for all possible offences
According to posts on a US-centric motorcycle forum I frequent, the SOL has been exceeded but I have no direct knowledge.

OMG! Maybe there's still time? Call the cops!

Can always count on BTB to keep insurance companies and authorities notified when it comes to "stepping out of the line" in motoring world.

:rolleyes::D

Can always count on BTB to keep insurance companies and authorities notified when it comes to "stepping out of the line" in motoring world.

:rolleyes::D

Eh? I'm just curious how someone can go on international media broadcasting the fact that a few weeks ago they were doing 190+ mph on normal roads without (apparently) being worried about any legal consequences.

That made me fall off my chair... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom