E63 auto braking system, clarification!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fudger

Car
Awaiting delivery
Chaps, just for clarification, my car is a 2015 E63 with no options and therefore, no distronic. I assume therefore that my brakes will never auto apply unless in a circumstance whereby a) My red triangle warning light is on and b) I, having first touched the brake pedal, the computer then senses that I am too close to another vehicle and c) having further sensed that I had not applied enough brake pressure to avoid a collision would then and only then take over and apply as much pressure as it sensed was necessary to avoid the collision, if indeed that was possible.

Is that correct or are there circumstances when the car will still auto apply the brakes?

This may sound stupid; but without something like distronic, how would the car know you're too close to something such that the brakes need to be applied?

Does it work off the parking sensors instead?

Mine only brakes when distronic is engaged, but I appreciate that's not the same technology as in your car. - If I get too close to another car under any other circumstances, it just beeps at me.

This may sound stupid; but without something like distronic, how would the car know you're too close to something such that the brakes need to be applied?

Does it work off the parking sensors instead?

Mine only brakes when distronic is engaged, but I appreciate that's not the same technology as in your car. - If I get too close to another car under any other circumstances, it just beeps at me.

It uses a radar panel in the front grille usually.

Car must be preset with distances before it should brake.

Yep, B Class courtesy car had it. Nothing to do with distronic. There's a radar in the front.

I'm not sure about point B though. There's no need to have first touched the brake.

You get too close and the red triangle lights up, closer and you'll get a tone, like if someone cuts you up, and when very close it'll brake to bring your speed below that of the vehicle in front.

I'm sure that my car braked for me when it panicked over a car that was turning off slower than it expected. But then it was over almost instantly as I steered right and so the car calmed down again.

I don't have Distronic.

Yep, B Class courtesy car had it. Nothing to do with distronic. There's a radar in the front.

I'm not sure about point B though. There's no need to have first touched the brake.

You get too close and the red triangle lights up, closer and you'll get a tone, like if someone cuts you up, and when very close it'll brake to bring your speed below that of the vehicle in front.

Bagsie Fudger trys it out for us.

Mine also has this system and I cant work out if it does brake the car or not? The manual is as clear as mud

I drive with the red triangle on wherever possible :D and have had the warning tone once but never had the breaks apply.

I had the break assist system in an Audi Q7 and that does Sh1t you up when it breaks. Never had it break because it had to, just bwhen it thought a car was going to come out of a side road.... the system was flawed in my opion

I'm sure that my car braked for me when it panicked over a car that was turning off slower than it expected. But then it was over almost instantly as I steered right and so the car calmed down again.

I don't have Distronic.

Interesting you say that, I thought it braked for me all by itself earlier today but something told me that I must have touched the brake. I was in the process of overtaking a slow moving old geezer and had gentle pressed the accelerator and my car braked sharpish until I had passed further to the right of this chap. I thought it was very odd at the time hence this thread to get some clarity.

However, I don't feel I can test this theory out ;)

So, if it uses radar... but it's no distronic... can you have distronic enabled through Star?

I've come across the radar distance warning before in a rented A-class, but that didn't brake for me. - Like my car, it just beeped when it thought I was too close.

Again; I appreciate it's not the same system, but on my car it only brakes for me when distronic in engaged.

The manual says it should. Again, testing this is going to require sheer faith and bravery/stupidity.

Yes mines also braked when approaching a slow turning car, I've also not got Distronic.

So come on then, who's going to try it?

I'm now waiting for the post titled: "Where can I buy a new front for an E Class?" :D :D :D

So come on then, who's going to try it?

I'm now waiting for the post titled: "Where can I buy a new front for an E Class?" :D :D :D

Give it a try Dave.

And take the car in front with you, and the one before it too... ;)

I believe a lot of new Mercedes now have a facility to beep at you if you get close to the car in front and to apply more brake pressure if it senses you have not applied enough pressure; it is not Distronic which can apply the brakes and speed the car up in traffic when using cruise control. I think its called Collision Prevention Assist, link below

Mercedes-Benz TechCenter: COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST

As far as I know the car applying the brakes to avoid a collision is called PRE SAFE BRAKING and works off radar within the front grille badge. Pretty sure it's an option too.

You get lane tracking package too which helps prevent side collisions and also radar cruise, both options

I believe a lot of new Mercedes now have a facility to beep at you if you get close to the car in front and to apply more brake pressure if it senses you have not applied enough pressure; it is not Distronic which can apply the brakes and speed the car up in traffic when using cruise control. I think its called Collision Prevention Assist, link below

Mercedes-Benz TechCenter: COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST

But Collision Prevention Assist PLUS will brake for you, according to my manual.

My wifes A-class definitely beeps at you, but I've not experienced it applying the brakes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom