E63 'B' Service cost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Speaking as someone who generally sells a car after a year on a regular basis the first question asked buy the eventual buyer of my SL63 was does it have a main dealer history. When I sold my Porsche the first question asked was does it have a main dealer service history so if you're trying to get a decent price selling privately the car depending on age of course seems to in my experience sell easier.
I'm the first one to applaud independents as I use a guy who used to prepare my track day RX7. He is a proper mechanic and has kept my Phaeton running sweetly and at little cost compared to my local VW main agent. But then this car is now worth about £7K not £40-50K and cars in this price range do have to have a main dealer service history if you want to sell them privately or at least thats been my experience over the last 4 cars I've sold.
I opted for the service plan on my current CL65 and I'm very pleased with every aspect of price and my dealings with Brooklands MB and will continue to use it for the foreseeable future.

Just to add one of the CL600's I looked at had been subject to a three year service plan and was in it's last year the owner couldn't fault the service and I felt confident as a potential buyer that it was tip top.

Last edited:
Alx said:
Yeah yeah yeah :D On a side note, what is the aim of the service plan anyway? Hook the customer up on a lengthy contract to ensure he comes back for the next service - one. Monthlies instead of a lump sum - two. Anything else? Perhaps JonhBell could answer.

- It's cheaper (a three year contract starting on a B service is great value)
- Roadside recovery
- I don't notice thirty quid coming out of my account each month

I've personally saved circa £300. That's half a years insurance for me

Winner winner, chicken dinner

Got my service plan documents today together with ... someone else documents... Nice data breach on MB part.

On a general note, the best time to get it is so that it covers the spark plugs, air filter, and ATF change. If you also factor-in the brake fluid change, it actually works-out quite cheap.

I opted for the 3 year service plan, reasonable but not wonderful value. Big benefit is having a reasonably low monthly outlay, interest free....

As the OP here, thanks for all the comments and interesting views/stories.

I had my B service as planned but the service manager got me to sign a 3 year plan which included the current service plus another 3 on top. With the current AMG 50 anniversary discount, it was no brainer for me.

Interestingly, a friend mentioned that he had just paid £1,400 for a single and very standard Maserati service. He is amazed, and annoyed :), how much better value, in comparison, my servicing is on an E63!

Got the 3 year service plan on the CL - it was cheaper than the cost of the next service alone. (cheap is of course a relative term).

Got the 3 year service plan on the CL - it was cheaper than the cost of the next service alone. (cheap is of course a relative term).

Yes indeed it is. One might think it was designed for V12 owners.

- It's cheaper (a three year contract starting on a B service is great value)
- Roadside recovery
- I don't notice thirty quid coming out of my account each month

I've personally saved circa £300. That's half a years insurance for me

Winner winner, chicken dinner

Exactly, im starting on a B Service with plugs and a few additional bits, so my service with MB is £630 iirc.

Coupled with the AMG discount £41 a month for 3yrs, thats not bad at all, free european breakdown cover too, which is good for me as i go abroad a fair whack.. which is always an extra £50 so cant complain.

Keeps the service history up, i do my own maintenacne in between which i document with an invoice so its the perfect car to buy second hand haha!

Interesting comments. Having worked in the MB Dealer network I can confirm that front desk staff are heavily incentivised to sell Service Plans.
In my view they are a viable option for cars within factory warranty period, and the earlier they are taken out the better the value.
Outside warranty I can't understand why any owner would take their car anywhere near a main dealer, service plan or otherwise.
My personal choice would be to use independent from day one, which will not effect your warranty, regardless of what anyone will tell you.
Yes, you loose your Mobilo cover but the savings on your first service will pay for breakdown cover from Green Flag or similar.
My other comment would be if you work out the total cost of ownership of your AMG car, maintenance is a fairly small part of the total cost.
The big costs, if you "enjoy" the car are fuel and tyres, and of course if you have a new car, depreciation.

Interesting comments. Having worked in the MB Dealer network I can confirm that front desk staff are heavily incentivised to sell Service Plans.
In my view they are a viable option for cars within factory warranty period, and the earlier they are taken out the better the value.
Outside warranty I can't understand why any owner would take their car anywhere near a main dealer, service plan or otherwise.
My personal choice would be to use independent from day one, which will not effect your warranty, regardless of what anyone will tell you.
Yes, you loose your Mobilo cover but the savings on your first service will pay for breakdown cover from Green Flag or similar.
My other comment would be if you work out the total cost of ownership of your AMG car, maintenance is a fairly small part of the total cost.
The big costs, if you "enjoy" the car are fuel and tyres, and of course if you have a new car, depreciation.

Thanks for your honesty.
Confirms my own thoughts that MB main dealers are far too expensive and far too inconsistent with their quality whens it comes to servicing vehicles and looking after Their customers.

Just had gearbox/engine service with plugs came to over £1000

Luke-BITURBO said:
Just had gearbox/engine service with plugs came to over £1000

That was a ideal time for you to have taken a service plan.

lol.

Those with high value, more modern cars say Main Dealer History...
E63, CL65, etc

Those with older cars, say independent..

Obvious then..
New cars of course you would have main dealer service history.
If I went to Mercedes used, and a 5 year old car didn't have main dealer service history, I would not touch it (and neither would they). So of course it affects the value.

But it becomes less important when the car is much older.

My E63 S is being serviced today (B service) £443 inc.
Got a nice new E class as a loaner for the day. Very nice to compare the interior on the new one. Very nice indeed. And yes, they have a new E63 S in the showroom.. they are no fools lol.

I will get a nice Valet inside and out, and all updates applied to the car.
Nice coffee, cakes in the service department waiting for the loan car to be brought around.

So sure, within 5 / 6 years old cars, personally I think you would be crazy to not have the car serviced in the dealer network, or you could be throwing thousands down the drain in re-sell or part-ex value.

After that, I agree becomes less of an issue.

That what the comment attributed above to the car owners (age) also testify too.
Simple really :)

lol.

E63, CL65, etc

Obvious then..
If I went to Mercedes used, and a 5 year old car didn't have main dealer service history, I would not touch it (and neither would they). So of course it affects the value.

Got a nice new E class as a loaner for the day. Very nice to compare the interior on the new one. Very nice indeed. And yes, they have a new E63 S in the showroom.. they are no fools lol.

Nice coffee, cakes in the service department waiting for the loan car to be brought around.

So sure, within 5 / 6 years old cars, personally I think you would be crazy to not have the car serviced in the dealer network, or you could be throwing thousands down the drain in re-sell or part-ex value.

That what the comment attributed above to the car owners (age) also testify too.

Thats my view on it, after these 2yrs of ownership it'll be on the 5yrs old mark so makes sense to have a service plan.
Especailly one you pay for monthly and dont have to worry about really, you just book in and its done you dont pay anything.
Get a courtesy car for the day and have cakes and coffee all free of charge haha!

As mines already upto date (well as of last month) i assume it'll be fine when i take her for a B service next month.
Mines due box, plugs and engine oil etc, i have already done these items myself but will have covered nearly 10k on the plugs and 5k on the box oil by the time it comes round so its not a waste, im pretty **** about keeping on top of oil changes etc.

lol.

E63, CL65, etc

Obvious then..

Most new cars are sold on finance that requires servicing to be carried out by the main dealer network. At least mine does and I would think others with cars from new would have to as well. I.e. not necessarily by choice.

I'd never bring the E55 to the main dealer as they wouldn't even know how to start it.

I

Interesting that - certainly three MB dealers I visited didn't seem interested in selling me a service plan . May be they didn't like the thought of having to look after a V12. Inchcape couldn't have been more helpful without any attempt at a hard sell .

As someone who buys a car and keeps it about a year I can assure you when selling the last three cars that I have sold privately the first question I am asked is does it have a full main dealer history. When I say yes they generally sell quickly, people seem to like main dealer history on a car they are spending £30-50K on.
When I go to buy a car the first thing I check is whether the car has a full main dealer history if not I don't bother.
I am all for independents and use them for cars I keep long term.
When I buy a car at the right price point i.e. when most of the depreciation has evaporated to me it makes perfect financial sense to maintain a main dealer service history. The service plan for my V12 seems good value as are Brooklands who I get to service it.

Interestingly, a friend mentioned that he had just paid £1,400 for a single and very standard Maserati service. He is amazed, and annoyed :), how much better value, in comparison, my servicing is on an E63!

I can beat your cheap servicing with 3 year service plan I got for Audi S8, £350 up to 60K miles. Oil change + spark plugs (don't ask why they wanted to do this earlier) costed £630 alone. Now Audi excludes S8 from this service plan, maybe it costed them too much ;-). It's one of the things that convinced me to go for another A8 and service plan as it minimises my cost of ownership (together with cheap lease deal).

BMW offers quite competitive service packages too. BMW Service Inclusive | Comprehensive Cover | BMW So Mercedes is not that cheap.

So Mercedes is not that cheap.

Thats very true they arent but they arent that bad either, i think £41 a month on a AMG vehicle at least the more awkward ones, V8's V12's rather than the 4 banger A45 i really think its worthwhile.

Its a number you never see moving from your bank, its £10 a week basically and i get 3 services out of it, two B's and one A... plus my breakdown cover, so it really did make sense to me.
I dont like losing £700+ out of my bank in one day, much easier on the pocket to lose it gradually over a set perioud of time.

On the subject of newer cars and dealer history... when buying newer (under 5yrs old) we as a collective look for main dealer history, anyone spending 20k+ ideally wants main dealer.. its just how it is.
Plus sticking main dealer (at least now a days) means your paint and corrision warranty isnt voided so its in your best interests resale wise to go to a main dealer for services.

I do my own work on the car if its anything more serious and if its something totally outta my reach it goes to a very trusted specialiest that isnt main dealer.
I also do all my own interim servicing anyway and keep invoices to prove this so on resale whoever buys mine will have a folder jammed with history and lets be honest any real car enthusiast loves a folder full of history.. shows the car really has been looked after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom