E63 caput @ 43k 🙄

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350cls

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55k AMG Sold / S211 E320 CDI I6 W212 E63 6.2 N/A saloon.

It's no longer MB quality built into the new cars.
Better stick with the older Benzes.

Unless you want higher performance?

Even though this one failed the total numbers are still very low overall. Plus could have been an ex-lease car maybe? and most people I know that lease cars rag them from the get go. No care for breaking in engine. Just a possibility.

I'll see your M157 destroyed and raise you 2x M156 from the same forum.;)
Nothing is perfect.

Both are excellent engines, but for every damaged M157 you'll find another M156.
As mentioned previously, without knowing the history of the car its difficult to understand why its kaput after 6 years.
The ones that catch fire?;)

Its very easy to complain about MB build quality "these days". OK yes they are not exactly the same due to economics, however, we dont know how this guy was driving it.

Unless you're into drag racing... then Better acceleration in a straight line from standstill isn't 'higher performance'.

As said , no one has any idea how the engine was treated during it's first 15 K miles or what type of fuel was used so unless there is an obvious visible reason for the failure its all guesswork.

The 'fact' that a number 5 cylinder is mentioned in a few of the failures might be a clue , but a clue to what ??

No. 5 and no. 1 run slightly hotter than the others because they are closest to the turbochargers, so if there is any problem with the intercoooler, they are most likely to be the first to be affected by a misfire.When I had my (little...) problem with the E63, No. 5 was the worst-affected cylinder, and the only one that had to be bored out and linered.

Reading the entire thread linked, it does seem as though the car was driven respectfully and serviced to high standards. Surprisingly nothing was picked up early within the failure.

Even without engine mods these cars can throw big trouble. Hard to believe no warning signs were given or that there was failure accuring, at such low mileage as well.

To quote another member ... it's "You're".

You're welcome. ;)

I'll see your M157 destroyed and raise you 2x M156 from the same forum.;)
Nothing is perfect.

Both are excellent engines, but for every damaged M157 you'll find another M156.
As mentioned previously, without knowing the history of the car its difficult to understand why its kaput after 6 years.

The ones that catch fire?;)

In the thread I linked there were TWO complete failures that have been indified in the thread. Other vehicles are showing some signs also, all M157 related.

I posted the link based on the fact the car had failure at such little mileage. Not to have a dig at the 157. I'm not here to play games. I well aware of engines having having weak points especially my very own unit the 156.

I will say this, going by the thread linked. The failures which both engines have shown throughout the build time is rather worrying. More so with the M157 as you would think they would have teething problems on early builds, not on builds at the end of the cycle.

Not good.

I read this, car had a bad map on it and not being funny but who remaps a car with low mileage, I have always been told a engine is still tight at 30k miles

As said , no one has any idea how the engine was treated during it's first 15 K miles or what type of fuel was used so unless there is an obvious visible reason for the failure its all guesswork.

The 'fact' that a number 5 cylinder is mentioned in a few of the failures might be a clue , but a clue to what ??
I skim read the linked forum page and the forum page linked in the second post and there was mention of production problems installing the valve guides for #5 cylinder which caused them to be damaged and let oil past.

For sure, one of the failed engines showed more carbon on the piston than expected and a particularly nasty build up at the top of the bore above the level of the compression rings' sweep. It seems that it is carbon deposits that are scoring the bores.

every model of engine will have had some failures at some point.

I read this, car had a bad map on it and not being funny but who remaps a car with low mileage, I have always been told a engine is still tight at 30k miles

One of the cars had a supposed bad map put on it. The other failure was a stock non modified 157. Maybe the 1st owner of the supposed stock failure car had a second ecu. But switched it out when he sold it 🤷.

One of the cars had a supposed bad map put on it. The other failure was a stock non modified 157. Maybe the 1st owner of the supposed stock failure car had a second ecu. But switched it out when he sold it 🤷.
Or maybe took the map off before he sold it
Or treated the car bad
Or could have been built defective

who’s knows, I still think AMGS in general are reliable

@f17ant, AMG's are fairly reliable, but I have seen (or heard of) plenty of engines failing on AMG's over the years. m157 is prone to ring failure, usually spot early signs by high oil consumption. this is on standard no modified cars. I personally know 3 people who have suffered this on their cars.

I am in no way saying there is more failure than other AMG engines, just that they are not invincible even in standard guise.

Or maybe took the map off before he sold it
Or treated the car bad
Or could have been built defective

who’s knows, I still think AMGS in general are reliable

Many possibilities as you have suggested.

I agree, on the whole, they are amazing machines to drive and own. The driving frill alone along with the exhaust tones they all all produce is definitely worth owning. 👍😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom