E63 deposit paid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is there any reviews on MB garages? Will be using Dorchester. Is there any reviews on them?

No real reviews section on here for main dealers etc, maybe have a Google :)

Less than a week in, and I love it…ticks all the boxes and then some.

Having a look over the engine, the driver side (front cam shaft cover) appears to have a fine oil leak, that has slowly made it's way downwards over the right side of the engine.
The passenger side turbo also has a fine oil leak from somewhere that has weeped onto the compressor housing.

At 19540 miles since 08/2015, from what I have read this does not seem to be the norm,
I have the 2 year MB/AMG warranty.
This is my first dealer/warranty car in more than 20 years.. I assume I tell them and they go and fix the issues ?

Thanks
Hakon

Oil seal leaks are often excluded from insurance type warranties, so you need to read what's covered and what isn't to be certain.

As you've just purchased it, my advice would be to address it through the salesman as issues that should have been resolved as part of the pre-sale prep, rather than just booking it in with the Service Dept. and taking a chance.

Service plan prices are clearly quoted online, just be aware that some, if not all, dealer chains offer their own service packages which, in my experience, are slightly more expensive (not much) but sometimes offer other items, for example puncture repair or oil top ups. Just be clear which one they're offering as there might be temptation (is that the same as a target :rolleyes: ) to offer the dealer's plan first.

Hi Gervase (OP),

On this video, as a reference, can you point out where you are seeing evidence of oil leaks / weeping ?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Is it from one of the drcamshaft actuators ?

Also interesting to understand about the passenger side oil weeping onto the compressor housing.

Driver side, the weep is coming from the bottom of the cover that the camshaft actuators are mounted on.

Passenger side, I can't really determine where is the source as it's very hard to see but it has made it's way onto the shaft that comes out of the waste gate actuator and then onto the intake compressor housing directly below.

Will investigate more later but there's not much room in that engine bay !

Kumaran,

Both of the covers that the camshaft actuators are mounted are leaking along the bottom edge, driver and passenger side.
Passenger side is harder to see so I can't confirm if the oil on the wastegate actuator and compressor housing is from the leaking cover or from a different source.
I'll be onto my sales guy tomorrow

Having not been entirely happy with the state the car that was sold to me. Dealer supplied.

Areas of clear coat over spray from the dealer pre sale tart up.
Oil leaking down the front of the engine from the camshaft adjuster mounting plates.
Steering wheel off centre, even thought they claim to have carried out alignment prior to sale, to my request.
Vibration from 90mph onwards from the rear of the car. This was picked up on the test drive, balancing carried out prior to sale and although a bit better, it can still be felt.
Remnants of previous owners kids vomit found in between the rear seats as well as some of their toys hiding under the front seats.

I decided to get the car independently inspected by the nice people at PCS.
The above points were noted as well as both front wheel bearings having significant play, a straight MOT fail and safety issue. This only went to confirm my suspicions that no pre sale checks had been carried out at all on the vehicle.

After numerous accusative and denial e-mails the car is now back with them a week (Lookers Gatwick) and they are waiting on parts from Germany with one item on 'back order'…
The brand new E400d 4matic loan is impressive however.

I would have rejected the car and found another.

Having not been entirely happy with the state the car that was sold to me. Dealer supplied.

Areas of clear coat over spray from the dealer pre sale tart up.
Oil leaking down the front of the engine from the camshaft adjuster mounting plates.
Steering wheel off centre, even thought they claim to have carried out alignment prior to sale, to my request.
Vibration from 90mph onwards from the rear of the car. This was picked up on the test drive, balancing carried out prior to sale and although a bit better, it can still be felt.
Remnants of previous owners kids vomit found in between the rear seats as well as some of their toys hiding under the front seats.

I decided to get the car independently inspected by the nice people at PCS.
The above points were noted as well as both front wheel bearings having significant play, a straight MOT fail and safety issue. This only went to confirm my suspicions that no pre sale checks had been carried out at all on the vehicle.

After numerous accusative and denial e-mails the car is now back with them a week (Lookers Gatwick) and they are waiting on parts from Germany with one item on 'back order'…
The brand new E400d 4matic loan is impressive however.

In hindsight absolutely but not all of these things were apparent from the off.
For example the oil leak is really quite hard to see due to cramped nature of the engine bay.

After four weeks with the dealer....and much hard work

The oil leak was infact from the crankcase breather system hoses and had blown oil upwards onto the engine, now fixed and clean.
Wheel bearings adjusted although they saw no issue with them.
Overspray dealt with.
Alignment carried out with print out this time.
Dealer refused to acknowledge any of the issues but did carry out a 4 year service with tranny oil change, which they probably should have done pre sale.

Ownership can now start !

They where the first in the tint business many years ago :) I have used them in the past and now use Old School Windscreens ( Chertsey ) for convenience, Also highly recommended.

Highly recommended.

A little update,

Been chasing significant vibration throughout the car since ownership started, most notably between 90-130mph, so much so that it felt uncomfortable.
In chasing the cause I had MB balance the wheels twice (refused to road test at those speeds) and another well regarded independent firm balance them again, on each occasion they were happy with them with their machines on the most 'sensitive' setting. Same story, vibration.

Not many road force balancing machines around but discount tyres luton found that all four tyres were to be out of round, so much so they couldn't in fact balance them. The Pirelli tyres were sent to Pirelli for examination and 4 PSS went on. Vibration gone.

The rear pads were getting thin and the discs had the rusty appearance between the wheel mounting surface and disc proper, so I changed them out this morning. Rear discs pretty reasonable from places like Autodoc etc, now a bit cleaner.DSC_0019 (1).JPG

Thanks for the update.

My first E63, a pre-facelift PPP biturbo, had a pronounced vibration at 120mph and above that I found when I drove in Germany. MBUK & the supplying dealer basically did the “we can’t replicate the problem in the UK so there’s nothing we can do” routine. I offered to take the car to a German dealer at my expense if MBUK would pay for the diagnostic labour. They refused.

After I swapped the P-Zeros for Conti 5P's the vibration disappeared. I hate Pirelli P-Zeros with a passion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom