E63 deposit paid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m hoping to collect a 2016 E63 estate next week and this thread makes for sobering reading.

Don't let it put you off, it's a great package.

These are minor issues in the scheme of things and are to be expected in modern products where profit is the only thing that matters.
Seemingly from the higher milage M157 units in the USA, they do appear not to have 'big' problems other than the odd bent connecting rod issue but my feeling is this is more likely with owners who have mapped, ragged etc etc.

For the price of engine oil required in these things (v cheap in my opinion) the re-occurng theme is to change oil regularly .

I have oil and filters changed every year with the MOT - would you change the oil more frequently than that? I tend to do 7-8,000 miles per year.

I’m hoping to collect a 2016 E63 estate next week and this thread makes for sobering reading.
As @Hakon says...
Don't let it put you off, it's a great package.

These are minor issues in the scheme of things and are to be expected in modern products where profit is the only thing that matters.
I've owned and run two Biturbo E63's covering in aggregate around 75,000 miles in them and would have another in a heartbeat. They are fantastic fun and - with the odd exception - very reliable.

Regarding frequency of oil changes, as long as your 7-8,000 miles per year don't include lots of short runs that don't get the engine hot and you're not drag racing the car then I'd be happy with annual changes.

Relax and enjoy your new toy. I'm sure you'll love it.

Typical usage is:

1. Fill car with mountain bikes
2. Drive for an hour and a half to trail centre
3. Thrash bikes over jumps for a few hours
4. Eat ALL the cake
5. Drive two hours home (as traffic is now worse)

With the odd:

1. Fill car with mountain bikes and luggage
2. Drive for two days to the Alps
3. Thrash bikes downhill for a couple of weeks
4. Eat ALL the gateaux
5. Home again

Regarding frequency of oil changes, as long as your 7-8,000 miles per year don't include lots of short runs that don't get the engine hot and you're not drag racing the car then I'd be happy with annual changes.
Yup.

I currently have a C55 which is what I've used up until now - I'm moving to the E63 to get a bit more room, and the upgrade to an 80 litre tank will make the stopping at petrol stations part a little less frequent I'd hope.

I have a couple of people coming to look at the C55 this weekend, and if all goes well I'm picking up the E63 toward the end of next week.

Therefore, I may end up with both for a little while, which would be interesting.

might be a shortage of suitably qualified technicians incapable of carrying out the diagnostic work you have so expertly highlighted?

With all the dealer ongoing earlier in the year I almost forgot, Brooklands completely overfilled the oil when it was in for the diagnostics and service.
So much so the oil was above the dip marker and touching the wire !

As recommended I drove the 1.5 hour round trip to Brooklands where they whisked the car away and sucked some oil out.
It came back and it was still high on the marker !

The dip stick inserts into the oil at a 45 degree angle so one side will always look low compared to the other. I think however they suck the oil out rather than drain at MB Brooklands and use the oil level sensor to gauge the refill rather than the dip. I suppose a host of potential issues can result with that method.
I'm not sure how reliable these oil level sensors are and regularly check with the stick.

IMG-20200901-WA0000.jpg

Saw this for about 5 mins in slow moving traffic after pulling out of a Shell in Holland.
Not the norm for sure but I got 21.6 indicated MPG on a 1413 mile trip to the Alps in March.
I carry two 10 L jerry cans in the back on all these sorts of trips, crazy I know but the second half of the tank empties quickly

I was over in Switzerland when the FCO advice said we had to quarantine if we were still there on Saturday morning. Route planning to get home (France was already a quarantine zone) was strongly influenced by the 300 mile range of the C55.
In the end we had a very nice bonus holiday in Germany, spending a couple of days travelling North, then making a dash across to the Chunnel without stopping.
An extra 100 miles on the range would be useful however.
What Jerry cans do you use? I’m always a bit worried about having fuel in the passenger compartment.

On a haul I generally get 350 miles odd to a tank but I don't do economy driving.

What Jerry cans do you use? I’m always a bit worried about having fuel in the passenger compartment.

I use Wavian 10 L cans as they pack better than a single 20 L
The design has met certain standards and isn't coke can thin. The long flexible pouring spout is best, the standard ones I find leak on pouring.
I know what you mean about having fuel in the passenger compartment so I usually have them in the passenger footwell. I justify it by reminding myself that there is 80L under the rear seats, thin pipes supplying the engine and high pressure fuel pumps in the engine compartment just above glowing tubbies

Typical usage is:

1. Fill car with mountain bikes
2. Drive for an hour and a half to trail centre
3. Thrash bikes over jumps for a few hours
4. Eat ALL the cake
5. Drive two hours home (as traffic is now worse)

With the odd:

1. Fill car with mountain bikes and luggage
2. Drive for two days to the Alps
3. Thrash bikes downhill for a couple of weeks
4. Eat ALL the gateaux
5. Home again
With the E63 there will be a new step
4.5 Buy even more cake/gateaux to take home because there's now space to do so

Passenger side cam cover resealed and buttoned up.

Oil filter housing refitted with new gasket tightened in order.
DSC_0339 (1).jpg

Three turbo cooling lines followed , not the easiest to route given the space available.
DSC_0341 (1).jpg
DSC_0342 (1).jpg

The rest of the bits went back on with new oil / filter and coolant filled. I didn't get a chance to pressure test the system before refitting everything as the kit I bought seemed to have a cap for all vehicle makes except MB.

Just been out for a gentle warm up and checked the levels once all the rads had opened up and then a blast, nice and cold out there, pulled like a saturn 5.
No leaks, or the smell of coolant anymore. Aces.

The coolant has needed a little top up in the last two days after cool downs and for a moment I was a bit worried that something may be leaking but the level has remained stable the last 12 hours, so this is not the case.
Before getting started it did seem a bit daunting with all the ancillaries and items that require removal in order to gain the necessary access for the cam covers but on reflection it wasn't too bad but space is tight.

Initially I ordered parts via the online-tile service in Germany, there was a facility to click the part diagram, get the price and order all at the same time. This service has seemingly been discontinued.
MB Edinburgh came to the rescue via their eBay service (basically provide them the part no and they will create a eBay listing that you then buy) and were superb, very quick to respond to inquiries and ship the stuff out the door.

The only items bough that were not officially required to be replaced were new oil filter housing bolts and the plastic oil breather on the passenger side. A new gasket and a wash with brake cleaner would have been fine.

16 cam cover bolts 37 euros
Oil separator breather 32 euro
Oil filter 13 euro
Thermostat seal 1 euro
coolant line 42 euro
coolant line 42 euro
oil filter housing gasket 15 euro

coolant line 44 GBP
5 l red coolant 39 gbp
5l distilled water 5 GBP
Engine oil £50
Oil housing bolts £20

Loctite black sealant x2 22GBP
sprays etc £23
Tools
Specialty e10 tools / drives 40 GBP
1/4 drive low range torque wrench 22 GBP
Total circa £408

^ Well done! Saved yourself a fair bit doing it yourself ,plus you know it's been done correctly.
Are you a mechanic/tech in your day job?

Now to enjoy the car again.:thumb:

Never really got on top of the tech yet, but having looked inside the left arm rest, the sockets are somewhat different to the ones in the Dammit car, although both 2015.

DSC_0366 (1).jpg

The same but different ?

P.S.
I never saw the pen holder till now.

Interesting, I wonder why they're different? Do you have a stereo option that I don't maybe?

Never really got on top of the tech yet, but having looked inside the left arm rest, the sockets are somewhat different to the ones in the Dammit car, although both 2015.

The same but different ?
There was a change sometime during 2015. The later cars provide Media Interface connectivity through the USB port(s) rather than having a separate unique port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom