E63 deposit paid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thank you for reading it all, I bought a copy of WIS on a memory stick off eBay and amazingly got it to work at the first install.

I'm not sure if my copy of WIS is complete or needs to be updated.... as ,for example there is no oil thermostat on the oil fitter housing on my version for the E63.

I've tinkered a lot with the previous car, E39 M5, and pretty much replaced everything ( regardless of need or not) during the ten years I ran it, so I guess I built up experience and tools along the way.

Yes, I need a little more direct comms with the people looking after my car with second to third hand info not quite cutting it.

I suppose the thing with the dealers is that unless they can plug the car into the computer and get a direct fault, they get a bit lost with the dealer performance / billing / structure side of things and it gets outside their bothered zone. They play the game reasonably well in the beginning then just wear you down.

In order to further chase the intermittent issue on partial throttle and occasionally full throttle acceleration I had the car put on a rolling road to try and recreate what was a very challenging set of circumstances on the road.

I was not there for a power run, but they did one any way, more as a base line...with the result a little off in their experience.

However the partial load results in 4th gear did reveal a wavering power delivery and a unexpected drop off after 2k rpms.

I went armed with the dyno read out, a tacho video, explained the situation again and left the car at MB.....potentially for the rest of my ownership.

Much investigations later a suspected cause is of oil entering the ECU via the loom / harness, originating from the exhaust cam position sensors.

@st13phil yeah :)

I've been told It's an engine out job.
The warranty providers are going to have to sharpen their pencils.
Bent connecting rod the only item left on this particular M157, should be bullet proof.

The warranty providers are going to have to sharpen their pencils.
Hope they payout. At the end of the day you’ve done a huge amount of legwork to get a diagnosis.

Unplug and check your cam position sensors for oil.

Unplug and check your cam position sensors for oil.
Can you elaborate any more?

Hope this is getting sorted out for you - fingers crossed :)

Engine oil is able to enter the engine wiring harness via the cam position sensors and potentially the cam adjusters.
The oil travels past the magnet in the sensor and gets onto the terminals in the plug. A wicking action allows the oil to then travel extensively in the harness / loom to all terminals including the ECU.
It doesn't travel on the outside of the wire but inside, between the copper wire and the plastic insulation.
In process of getting sorted but the warranty isn't what you'd hope it to be.

Both exhaust cam position sensors in my case but not the intakes even though they're the same part number.

MB have had similar issues to this for many years now. Surprised after this long they haven’t got on top of that.

Eg - the pilot bushing on the auto gearbox and other cam adjusters - M111s had this issue from over twenty years back! :doh:

Yeah, it's not great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom