E63 Detailed and Gtechniq Crystal Serum ceramic coating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ho-ho.

Clearly you think it’s some kind of snake-oil. That's fine by me.

No I don't - I've seen it and it looks good.

The statement was made that it is easier to wash! My car is teated with a sealant and it stays pretty clean but it still gets dirty just like the glass gets dirty (which I speculate is harder and smoother than ceramic coating) and is no easier to clean then the paintwork.

It is a good product but, there is a lot of misleading information and urban myth about ceramic coatings.

No photobucket logo here?
9cb18727a6fd6a1a343d13b7b206f65d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Nope.

@SummitDetailing ...... Being pedantic - do you still have to get out the pressure washer, two buckets, wash mitt, shampoo etc etc ----if the answer is yes, then how is washing easier?

I hear what the guys say about it (possibly) staying cleaner but washing is still a PITA and I cannot see how it would be easier to wash. Even the glass windows on a car get dirty pretty quickly so not sure how ceramic would be any different to my windows......[/QUOTE]

Yes, recognised safe wash techniques still apply.
The car would be cleaner than if it didn't have any protection applied and because the surface is so slick removing what dirt is present is that much easier and involves less effort. You are also less likely to inflict wash marring to the finish. The latter of course you won't see if the car hasn't been machine polished to a high standard as you'll already have defects so would just be adding to them.

A glass sealant not only gives you better visibility when driving in the rain as you aren't looking through water clinging onto the glass but yes it helps at the washing stage too.

cheers,

Chris

No I don't - I've seen it and it looks good.
In that case I apologise.

My experience with Crystal Serum is that the treated paint is much slicker than (untreated) glass and that dirt really doesn’t stick to it in the way that it does to untreated paintwork or glass. Washing it is more akin to removing dust in that a very light wipe with shampoo on a lambs wool mitt is all it needs.

Had the Nanolex equivalent previous car and washing was much easier. Preparing to apply it to the E63.

............Washing it is more akin to removing dust in that a very light wipe with shampoo on a lambs wool mitt is all it needs.

....you still have to get out the buckets, wash mitts then wash, rinse dry etc etc....which is really what I was getting at.

So probably fewer washes needed every year which, would make life easier for busy people (unlike retired old farts like me who have lots of time to wash their cars.... and enjoy the exercise):).

I did look at getting my car done but being white, the coating does not add much to appearance and as it is a not a daily driver, keeping it clean is not an issue.

Congratulations Shaun, the car looks absolutely stunning! OK, I'm biased as I specified designo Hyacinth Red for my GLC. I was in turmoil deciding whether I should invest in a ceramic coating but in the end decided to go down the more conventional path. Living in the countryside, my life is full of narrow lanes and hedgerows so whilst a ceramic coating would offer a good degree of protection against minor scratches, I felt its inherent hardness would become a major hindrance should I need to do more aggressive paint correction. I actually find detailing relaxing and enjoy setting time aside every month to take care of the car so in the end I felt applying a conventional paint sealant topped with carnauba wax was the way to go for me. Rather than the retina-searing gloss a ceramic coating produces, I find a carnauba wax finish leaves a slightly muted shine with more warmth and incredible depth. This 'look' is perhaps better suited to darker coloured cars but with Hyacinth Red constantly changing shade depending of the colour temperature of the light, I find a natural carnauba wax works rather well. Perhaps the warmth and depth thing is just a subjective perception but here's a few pics of Red Ken wearing his wax over a conventional sealant:

GLC-Jun-18-12.jpg

GLC-Jun-18-15.jpg

GLC-Jun-18-20.jpg

GLC-Jun-18-17.jpg

GLC-Jun-18-1.jpg

I have has it on a number of cars and wouldn't be without it. I guess not having to polish or wax is a bonus for some. Having to decontaminate far less with bugs and sap not needing extra steps also reduces the pain. If it's been extended to wheels and glass then the labour savings can be multiplied. It is "easier to wash" when you do as good results come at less effort. Rinsless/waterless washes can work much better if thar is your thing.
I am also retired but I would much rather drive somewhere than wash it [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Weird, because I've signed out of photobucket, and I see the logo still
I am viewing on tapatalk App never signed up for photo bucket..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Congratulations Shaun, the car looks absolutely stunning! OK, I'm biased as I specified designo Hyacinth Red for my GLC. I was in turmoil deciding whether I should invest in a ceramic coating but in the end decided to go down the more conventional path. Living in the countryside, my life is full of narrow lanes and hedgerows so whilst a ceramic coating would offer a good degree of protection against minor scratches, I felt its inherent hardness would become a major hindrance should I need to do more aggressive paint correction. I actually find detailing relaxing and enjoy setting time aside every month to take care of the car so in the end I felt applying a conventional paint sealant topped with carnauba wax was the way to go for me. Rather than the retina-searing gloss a ceramic coating produces, I find a carnauba wax finish leaves a slightly muted shine with more warmth and incredible depth. This 'look' is perhaps better suited to darker coloured cars but with Hyacinth Red constantly changing shade depending of the colour temperature of the light, I find a natural carnauba wax works rather well. Perhaps the warmth and depth thing is just a subjective perception but here's a few pics of Red Ken wearing his wax over a conventional sealant:
You car looks fantastic. I always liked claying/polishing & waxing the car, but its bloody hard word doing it by hand(especially on a relatively big car like the E class), and I'd not be confident with a machine.
I can still dabble around claying/polishing/waxing my wife's A200, so best of both for me.

The other thing is the detailer described the coating as self healing, he used bird droppings as an example, in that if you don't get to it until many hours later, he said if it leaves that white residue, then simply pouring hot water over it will fix it.

I have has it on a number of cars and wouldn't be without it. I guess not having to polish or wax is a bonus for some. Having to decontaminate far less with bugs and sap not needing extra steps also reduces the pain. If it's been extended to wheels and glass then the labour savings can be multiplied. It is "easier to wash" when you do as good results come at less effort. Rinsless/waterless washes can work much better if thar is your thing.
I am also retired but I would much rather drive somewhere than wash it [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
The wheels were treated also, but not the glass. I thought i'd do that myself on this car using the Meguiars perfect clarity glass sealant that I have

Just about to carry out a major detailing on my newly purchased 2013 CL500. Paint Correction, crystal serum & exo. Also getting the wheels power coated and treating with C5 Wheel Armour. For the glass I bought the Gtechniq Glass Kit. Did my wife's car recently (paint correction & exo) and really impressed with the hydrophobic quality of the paint work.

Bought this dryer https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HG2GQGB/?tag=amazon0e9db-21.

Hasn't arrived yet but I am hoping that using this with the paint finishes will make drying the cars so much easier. Anyone tried this?

For the glass I bought the Gtechniq Glass Kit.
Personally, I’d be very wary of treating the windscreen. When my first E63 was done with Gtechniq Crystal Serum etc. the screen was done too and in the dark in light rain conditions it was an absolute nightmare when subjected to oncoming headlight glare.

Personally, I’d be very wary of treating the windscreen. When my first E63 was done with Gtechniq Crystal Serum etc. the screen was done too and in the dark in light rain conditions it was an absolute nightmare when subjected to oncoming headlight glare.

Will be using Gtechniq Clearvision Smart Glass not Crystal for the windscreen. I would hope that this product does not cause the problems you describe or I will be far from happy.

Will be using Gtechniq Clearvision Smart Glass not Crystal for the windscreen.
Haha! It wasn't Crystal Serum used on the screen, it was GTechniq's latest and greatest glass treatment, whatever that was in early 2014.

The issue was that in light rain when the wipers were on intermittent, each sweep would leave micro-beaded droplets over the screen that made it like looking through a fog. Highly dangerous, imo. Eventually it wore off and was OK. When I mentioned it to another detailer a couple of years later when I had my second E63 done, he mentioned that he'd recently had another customer return to have the stuff removed from his windscreen for the very same reason so he'd stopped using it on windscreens.

Haha! It wasn't Crystal Serum used on the screen, it was GTechniq's latest and greatest glass treatment, whatever that was in early 2014.

The issue was that in light rain when the wipers were on intermittent, each sweep would leave micro-beaded droplets over the screen that made it like looking through a fog. Highly dangerous, imo. Eventually it wore off and was OK. When I mentioned it to another detailer a couple of years later when I had my second E63 done, he mentioned that he'd recently had another customer return to have the stuff removed from his windscreen for the very same reason so he'd stopped using it on windscreens.

Oh well, I've already spent the money and purchased the stuff. I'll give it a try and if I find its as bad as you found it, I'll just need to remove it.

Just about to carry out a major detailing on my newly purchased 2013 CL500. Paint Correction, crystal serum & exo. Also getting the wheels power coated and treating with C5 Wheel Armour. For the glass I bought the Gtechniq Glass Kit. Did my wife's car recently (paint correction & exo) and really impressed with the hydrophobic quality of the paint work.

Bought this dryer https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HG2GQGB/?tag=amazon0e9db-21.

Hasn't arrived yet but I am hoping that using this with the paint finishes will make drying the cars so much easier. Anyone tried this?

I'd suggest you still need a quality drying towel for drying the car but the dog/bike blowers are great for wheels and chasing water out of mirrors, shuts, lights, grilles etc.
Cheers,
Chris

I'd suggest you still need a quality drying towel for drying the car but the dog/bike blowers are great for wheels and chasing water out of mirrors, shuts, lights, grilles etc.
Cheers,
Chris

You're spot on Chris.
Drier arrived this afternoon and I gave my car a quick wash to try it out. Not really suitable for drying whole car, although I think it might have a better chance when I get the ceramic coatings on.

Brilliant for drying wheels, grills, emblems and other places where water gets trapped, just as you said.

Love this colour however it has to be spotlessly clean IMHO ... great work at both ends of the ‘detailing’ scale ... only had ceramic coating applied to 1 car in the past and can vouch for easier to clean comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom