E63 exhaust modifications without any cutting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psilonaught

Car
W212 E63
Hi

I'm about to take delivery of a 63 plate e63 estate with 29k on the clock on metallic white.

It is on finance so i can't go around chopping bits out of the exhaust...

Does anyone know if certain parts of the exhaust can be pulled apart, or is the whole length welded together as one section??

thanks

There's a clamped joint on both downpipes just before the rear resonator, so you can bolt on some aftermarket downpipes if you wish - perhaps RADO or the like.

Hi and welcome.
I have the same car that your acquiring, white E63 estate with the 5.5 biturbo, what a great all round motor.

Mine was booked in at MSL for a remap and resonator delete a few weeks back but I had to leave it due to personal circumstances until after I return from a trip in 6 weeks time.

I want a bit more noise so opting for the resonator delete and see how that suits. It can always go back for more work. Talk to MSL and let them guide you but also check out the threads about exhaust mods on here

ah ok great. I need to do a remap to use downpipes right, otherwise i will get an engine check light?

I think if you use catted pipes you won't get a check light, so no map required. If no cats you get a check light as there's nowhere to plug in the howdy doody sensor.

Daventy willbe along soon enough - he will know.

ok thanks chaps. I definitely won't look at any remaps for at least 6 months, until I get used it.

Addbuyer, how are you finding the power? The most i have driven is mid 350bhp on my old 645ci which was too slow in most conditions for my liking, but slightly nervous about so MUCH more from a rear wheel drive car!

I think if you use catted pipes you won't get a check light, so no map required. If no cats you get a check light as there's nowhere to plug in the howdy doody sensor.

Basically this. If you use a downpipe with a sport cat on it (RADO for example) then the Lambda sensors stay in place on either side of the cat and should be fine. If you run without cats, as I do, then you'll need to have the sensors mapped out, which is basically just kidding the ECU that there is a difference between the upstream and downstream sensors.
Having said that, it's worth mapping anyway on any change to the system just to get the best out of it with a few tweaks.

Daventy willbe along soon enough - he will know.

Or at least take an educated guess John ;)

Being on finance does not stop you from altering the car, for all they know the car could have been fettled this way before you bought it.

Lease is different.. you cant touch anything leased really without ramifications due to warranty etc.
But a 13 plate E63 will be devoid of factory warranty now.

Anyway, Mine has Weistec Downpipes/sports cats and wiestec mid section, sounds amazing!

ok thanks chaps. I definitely won't look at any remaps for at least 6 months, until I get used it.

Addbuyer, how are you finding the power? The most i have driven is mid 350bhp on my old 645ci which was too slow in most conditions for my liking, but slightly nervous about so MUCH more from a rear wheel drive car!

It's just what you want it to be. It's a nice comfortable estate around town or a smile provoking monster on the open roads. You will read that guys on here see 5-6k miles out of rear tyres but I'm on 9k and still got 4.5mm left so you can see I don't track day or go stupid, just respect what it's capable of. Never had it step out of line on wet roads even. At times when other drivers are pushing for a tussle and I let it roar, I always forget to select 'S+'which would have shown them more than it did.
You will not regret the purchase, that's a surtain

I'm in a camp of 6k per tyre set. Rears are at 3.5mm and as slippery as butchers *****. E63 is a lot of fun minus fuel, oil and tyres in no particular order

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in a camp of 6k per tyre set. Rears are at 3.5mm and as slippery as butchers *****. E63 is a lot of fun minus fuel, oil and tyres in no particular order

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you super like a comment? hahaha!

So I've received my car now. Very impressed with the performance but disappointed with the stock exhaust. On startup it does not impressed compared to my 645ci with resonator delete / x pipe. It does feel twice as fast however.

As the car is on a three year PCP I'm just unsure what to do. At the end of the three years I'm either going to buy the car or sell to an indy dealer. In either case, as the car isn't going back the finance company, there won't be an inspection? Or is that not correct.

I could just do the downpipes as suggested but they seem hugely expensive compared to a muffler swap or resonator delete?

So I've received my car now. Very impressed with the performance but disappointed with the stock exhaust. On startup it does not impressed compared to my 645ci with resonator delete / x pipe. It does feel twice as fast however.

As the car is on a three year PCP I'm just unsure what to do. At the end of the three years I'm either going to buy the car or sell to an indy dealer. In either case, as the car isn't going back the finance company, there won't be an inspection? Or is that not correct.

I could just do the downpipes as suggested but they seem hugely expensive compared to a muffler swap or resonator delete?

Did you receive a detailed report of what exhaust pipework on your car looked like at the moment of sale? Thought not.

The downpipes are meant to improve the performance. If you are happy with the standard power and only want more noise, I'd go down the aftermarket x-pipe and back boxes route.

Just shows how we can all have differing opinions of the same thing. I think the sound of the stock exhaust is stunning, could listen to that music all day!!

Resonator delete gives a touch more noise and is easily reversible should you wish to do this.

Decat is another option but very loud, at first I thought too loud but now wouldn't change it. Still reversible albeit a bit more time consuming.

An X-pipe as suggested by Alex is a good option as it lifts the volume of the sound but is not as brash as a straight decat.

Resonator delete gives a touch more noise and is easily reversible should you wish to do this.

Decat is another option but very loud, at first I thought too loud but now wouldn't change it. Still reversible albeit a bit more time consuming.

An X-pipe as suggested by Alex is a good option as it lifts the volume of the sound but is not as brash as a straight decat.

Do the biturbo E63's have primary and secondary cats and if so, are you just talking about the removal of the secondary's?

Mine just had one cat per bank, so no option of a secondary removal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom