E63 Front calliper seized

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wenglish

Car
MERCEDES
Hi guys unfortunately my unlucky run continues with the recently purchased E63 😩 I have just had the MOT done and it has picked up on a serious seized drivers side front calliper. The pad is worn completely down on one side and the wheel is solid and won’t move and is obviously extremely hot compared to the other side. He said if that was any normal powered car it simply wouldn't move and it’s only because of the power that the car has that it drives which is crazy

Whats really annoying is that it was only in Mercedes last Friday for a diagnostic session and to look at a few niggles that I wanted investigating before the warranty expires in a few weeks time. They took it for a drive and did a visual inspection and found no faults and said it’s fine and the juddering was the characteristics of the AMG range

So my options are I’m assuming is a calliper rebuild and maybe new discs and pads depending on the damage once taken off the car

Would anyone have any recommendations on who to use to have them rebuilt as I’d probably do the full set while off the road ?

I also have 3 weeks of the Mercedes AMG extended warranty remaining what’s my chances of this issue actually being covered or am I living in a dream world to expect any help ?

Has anyone used the Mercedes extended warranty before for a calliper issue like this ? The garage today stated that Mercedes can’t really use the fair wear and tear example as the passenger side and rears are perfect. It’s only because of the seized calliper which has caused the issue

The car also has a full Mercedes Benz dealership service history if that makes any difference and it only had the the brake fluid changed in the last few months with everything fully up to date

The car is currently booked into Mercedes next Wednesday to have the air conditioning leak tested to see if the warranty will cover it or if its stone damage this alone is costing me £245 which I won’t have to pay if it’s a genuine condenser fault but what’s the actual chances of that happening 🤷🏻‍♂️ But they stated when I bring it in on Wednesday and if the juddering continues then to mention it and they will further investigate but we obviously now know the reason why it’s juddering.

Fingers crossed the calliper and condenser will both be covered but I’m seriously not holding my breath and expecting a nice big bill so any help and advice would be very gratefully received thank you

What about calling out Mobilio breakdown recovery for the caliper ? Especially if you have just bought the car (I take it you bought from MB?)

Surely it should be covered by the warranty? Worth a go

What about calling out Mobilio breakdown recovery for the caliper ? Especially if you have just bought the car (I take it you bought from MB?)
That’s a good point definitely worth looking into thank you mate 👍 I actually purchased the car privately it’s a 2015 so not a new car but just new to me, I had to pay a £25 fee to transfer the remaining Mercedes AMG approved warranty into my name which was done and completed last week

Surely it should be covered by the warranty? Worth a go
You would like to think so but the more I think of what the dealership did last week the more annoyed I get especially when they stated they would do a free health check etc yet when they called to discuss the findings last week on the warranty inspection I again mentioned was the health check done and he replied that yes a visual one on the ground was completed and it was perfect ? He also never gave me a single piece of paper of my visit last week

Looking the the paperwork I have from the previous owner it shows a number of free health checks completed etc all showing the condition of the Pads etc so Why didn’t this health check have the pads checked because if it did it would 100% have found a issue as the pad is on minimum on the driver front ? It’s all Very strange to me

It's a 6 year old E63 with what appears to be a MB warranty, get them involved ASAP. Quick question: could you not smell the locked on brake ? I only ask because I recently had a similar problem (right hand rear disc) on SWMBO ancient Vauxhall Zafira and boy did it stink of burnt brake pad.

Not sure the calliper was locked up 'solid' as despite what you mechanic says even a 63 won't drive through a fully locked front brake and if the fault was that bad during MOT it would have shown up on the brake test . No doubt you have a serious fault on that brake calliper and taking the price of a replacement (calliper/disc/pads) into consideration I would get MB warranty involved immediately. Keep us informed and best of luck 👍

It's a 6 year old E63 with what appears to be a MB warranty, get them involved ASAP. Quick question: could you not smell the locked on brake ? I only ask because I recently had a similar problem (right hand rear disc) on SWMBO ancient Vauxhall Zafira and boy did it stink of burnt brake pad.

Not sure the calliper was locked up 'solid' as despite what you mechanic says even a 63 won't drive through a fully locked front brake and if the fault was that bad during MOT it would have shown up on the brake test . No doubt you have a serious fault on that brake calliper and taking the price of a replacement (calliper/disc/pads) into consideration I would get MB warranty involved immediately. Keep us informed and best of luck 👍
Thanks for the detailed reply mate 👍 With regards to the smell no absolutely nothing but when they showed me yesterday on the ramp the heat from that 1 wheel was ridiculously hot but still no smell.

I have to agree with you on the lock solid part it doesn’t make sense and surly just wouldn’t move simple as that so maybe they were exaggerating a little but it’s definitely not good

Yes there is 100% a serious fault on that calliper though and like the garage said it would have warped the disc due to the heat and it’s definitely annihilated the pads

I am just awaiting a call from the service manager in the dealership to discuss everything and see what he has to say I will probably just get Mercedes breakdown assistance to come out and collect the car as it’s not safe to drive at least that way I should get a hire car for a few days and won’t be left in complete limbo

Thank you again mate

I very much doubt the condenser would be covered by the warranty or the last owner would of had it done ? That's why it was the price it was ,the calliper think imo should be covered I wish you well in getting it sorted
Just out of interest did you change the warranty by post as im still waiting for mine to come back thhanks

Thanks for the reply mate I’m actually still in regular contact with the previous owner and it was never actually taken into Mercedes for investigation he had a independent test carried out at home which found leaks in both corners so I think it’s worth a try

Yes I’m hoping the calliper will be covered

With regards to your warranty I originally did it via post and sending a cheque off etc it took ages and I’d heard nothing so I called them to be told they are no longer accepting cheques and the staff are working from home so they are now doing applications over the phone with card payments so give them a ring mate they were pretty good to deal with

Thanks for that I did the cheque etc so i will call them later today, 👍i hope you get it sorted

Which is it? One pad worn or both pads on one wheel?
Sorry my fault I worded it incorrectly it’s one pad completely worn and stuck on due to the seizure of the calliper from what the mechanic said sorry for the confusion

Sorry my fault I worded it incorrectly it’s one pad completely worn and stuck on due to the seizure of the calliper from what the mechanic said sorry for the confusion
If it had been two pads worn - a collapsing rubber brake hose (trapping the brake on) could be the cause - hence me asking.

id give it a go and see what they say

UPDATE

Hi guys just a quick update to say that after what seemed like a very long 7 days and after a nice big battle with Mercedes head office and the original dealership from the week before who gave the car a full clean bill of health I finally got to collect my car this afternoon fully fixed and now working exactly like a e63 should be.

The work that was completed by the Mercedes dealership this week was as follows

Brand new Driver side Front Calliper
Brand new Pair of Front Discs
Brand new Pair of Front Pads
Brand new Air Conditioning Condenser
Air conditioning Re-gas

I again made use of the brilliant mobilio service last Thursday evening and they stated that the car wasn’t safe to drive and instantly arranged for a private recovery company to come and collect the car and take it to the dealership of my choice. They recommended that I didn’t use the same dealership that it was in just a few days previously so I picked a different one.

They then arranged to have delivered to my home at 9pm that same night a lovely 71 plate Mercedes CLA with only 40 miles on the clock via Europcar. I had the hire car a full week at £0 cost which really made a big difference as we would have had to hire one ourselves and It wouldn’t have been cheap so it’s a great service and one I was very grateful off

The Mercedes approved warranty department stated that they would only cover the cost of the seized calliper and refused to replace the damaged discs and pads. The service manager stated I had to now personally cover the costs myself at a discounted price of £1400 for the discs and pads.

Obviously far from happy about the situation I now found myself In i then made a formal complaint to Mercedes head office and after lots of emails and phone calls over the coming days and with lots of evidence backing up my complaint including a fantastic bit of dash camera footage which showed the original dealership lying. That original dealership then instantly admitted fault and agreed to cover the entire costs for the new discs and pads which was a great outcome

They also then completed at my request the £225 leak test on the air conditioning and found a issue with the condenser but luckily enough it wasn’t caused by a stone so it was fully covered under the warranty and the £225 leak test charge was also passed onto the warranty company. It was a big risk at £225 as I could have easily lost it had it been stone damage but it was one risk I’m so glad I took and again a great outcome to end the week

Anyway I finally got to collect the car this afternoon with a £0 bill which is a fantastic outcome especially as I only have 15 days left of the 2 year warranty remaining I’ve been extremely lucky

Thank you though to everyone who read the thread and also to those that took the time to reply I’m very grateful

Jesus buddy , well played !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom