E63 Gearbox version

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mbuglass

Car
None
Hi All, Can anyone confirm if the final generation 6.2 E63 such this 2010 one has the MCT gearbox or the 7 G-Tronic?
Many thanks.

Hi All, Can anyone confirm if the final generation 6.2 E63 such this 2010 one has the MCT gearbox or the 7 G-Tronic?
Many thanks.

Yes it does, it was introduced on the first registered w212 E63 6.2 AMG my car is a December 2009 build and has this transmission. On a 59 plate.

Many thanks. My understanding is that the MCT is quite an improvement over the 7G but I have heard conflicting reports on what gearbox was actually used.

The giveaway is the mode control switch. If you look at the version before facelift it has a button for Comfort/Sport/Manual. The one with the square instead of oval headlights has the rotary switch with Controlled Efficiency/Sport/Sport+/Manual/Race Start.

It's fundamentally the same gearbox but the MCT replaces the torque convertor with a multi-plate wet clutch. Snappier changes and more gearbox modes including launch control.

I've had the 7G in a CLS 350. Really nice box when working correctly. Can become troublesome.

The MCT 7g is head and shoulders better ,much quicker changes, and feels way more modern. It's not as quick as there DSG boxes that are on offer on other make vehicles but that technology is newer so it's understandable. Suits the car perfectly for my liking. Takes a little time to get used to manual shifting but once you get the hang it's a lot of fun. Like double clutching on downshifts that really get the engine singing. With a pop and crackle. C mode is same as all mb cars pulls off in 2nd gear. While S S+ pull off in first gear. But S+ and M mode give more verbal exhaust tones which does improve the driving experience. Overall a much more modern feel to the 7g in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom