E63 - How do I remove front Ashtray

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mapleleaf

MB Enthusiast
Car
2022 GLC 300 estate- replaced 2018 Gle 43 AMG Night - replaced previous 2015 E63 AMG
Hi
2015 E63
I'm looking to install a Cheetah GPS Speed camera locator and want to hard wire it in using a feed from the cigar lighter ( 12v aux) power socket wiring in the centre console . How do I remove the trim to gain access to the wiring please? I've had numerous car interiors to bits in the past but this was bought new in Feb so I don't want to break anything ... tia

PS been trying the pocketworldgps on SD card uploaded to comand ( eventually !) but not keen on it due to alerts from nearby cameras that are either on a different road or in the wrong direction to me. Eg M6 toll this morning alerts bonging away due to cameras on the parallel A5. easy to identify & ignore if the nav screen is on but it bongs when in any other screen as well and scared the bejesus out me warning me of a camera that wasnt where I was when I was "making good progress":eek:

Well Mapleleaf I saw this when you posted and at nearly 5 hours,I expect nobody knows,in the club,lots have E63 but nobody takes them apart,the best you can hope for is a youtube reference,we need a how to do things section,like me today I decided to check the condition of my battery which is behind the rear seats,I had never done it before,maybe like your car my boot has a tough plastic trim on the boot edge where the boot locks,two plastic plugs seem to be the only fixings,so I pulled it ,off it came off but what I should have done having removed those fixings was push the trim towards the boot and then lifted it off,job done battery working fine,I hope you find a way of getting your trim off,post in the electrical section about taking power from the lighter.

@zipdip, you may wel be correct - too expensive a car to go pulling it apart I guess, but I am sure ( a few years ago one here), someone had access to the WIS schematics for just about every MB model. @kjl, the E63 ashtray is a lot smaller as the gear lever is in the centre console rather than on the steering column, so not sure the guide would work in my case. Might be easier to take feeds off ignition switch as others in that linked thread suggested - the side panel to the right of the dash pops off easily enough ( no fuses in there on the 212 though) and under-panel is straightforward too. I'll let you know how I get on - job is planned for this weekend all being well.

There are some great videos on youtube if ever I need to remove the command screen and trim on my W221 S320 there are two with a german tech removing loads of stuff with hardly any tools,great to watch a pro at work,just like your car both ends of the dash come off mine has power cables and fuses and at least 4 empty fuse holders,let us know how you get on with your GPS speed camera gizmo,I have toyed with putting a camera on the screen.

I sucessfully installed the cheetah unit.
Using above link pulled up gear lever trim, unscrewed and removed gear lever, which also secured the ashtray. Carefully pulled out ashtray unit, easier with it closed, and disconnected cigar lighter plug. Spliced into the brown ( -ve) and green/ black +ve. Had to cut 3/4 hole in ashtray base as the cheetah power plug protrudes almost 1/2 inch , so now it sits below allowing the unit to be firmly velcro'd into place and below the lid which can close for a fully covert installation away from the eyes of thieving types. I added an extension gps antenna but not sure its really needed. This was mounted between the comand display and the underside of the dash. Routing the cable was a pain, but got there in the end. I may add an extension speaker but so far not needed as i rarely have music/ radio on. There is also an optional lead to mute car stereo which connects to a standard ground stereo mute cable but not sure this is possible with comand. Would anyone know?

I'll try & post some pics.

9293F5BE-7041-476A-9FFC-0A3AF89105BA_zps1pqwhxbg.jpg

56F21EBE-8C0A-432A-A9E3-74E1A3C3DB88_zps5et2q7wp.jpg

843FAF2D-AF6C-4177-81F9-BF2BFE6A2A62_zpsusqif2co.jpg

9E83C0EA-86A0-4FB1-A5D6-6126688A487B_zpscqb3vos2.jpg

BFCF1A7A-084E-4642-93A1-5604C8A740C7_zpslvmtsbw9.jpg

41E6919D-B19E-4991-BC0F-ED1B26DF13E9_zpszobcvzbo.jpg

099E9033-540C-4ADB-B7C3-FDF9C2B23C9D_zpsgy9bq5il.jpg

CADA0168-4C42-48E6-A8C6-271A03F31F78_zps9hwes5mt.jpg

A04231CD-55F8-4955-B7EF-D2C279341292_zpsqdkscguq.jpg

Last edited:
The reason .... Look at this lot around Manchester! ( pocketgpsword data on comand)

DA04D5ED-D7D3-4ACE-A6E6-322991CC64F2_zpsqukra9it.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom