E63 - How noisy is it?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had the entire middle taken out of the exhaust on my E55, including a pair of the cats, it just has the cats in the downpipes and a single rear box and it's still really quiet even at full throttle, most annoying. :wallbash::D

They are loud, more bass than the camera picks up, but not an unpleasant noise.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
You can’t hear it in the clip, and it’s possibly because of the lack of bass in the clip as MACC suggests, but IMHO when the exhaust is standard, the M156 6.2 is quieter than the M157 5.5 generally, but especially during a cold start.

For that reason I use a car with the M156 for work, but my wife usually uses a car with an M157 as everyone is up by the time she’s starting the car, and she likes it being a little noisier.

Hi all,

I'm thinking of upgrading from my C220 and jumping up to an E63 and I'm slightly worried about the engine noise, specifically on start up and I do not want to upset the neighbours too much... Though that alone will not stop me from doing it ;-)

Genuine question, is there anything to tone the startup noise down at all? Some cars I've been looking at have a 'quiet mode' for this particular reason and I was wondering if such thing existed on the E63? It's a >2014 I'd be looking at, in fact I have my eye on two 2015 models right now.

I live in a quiet part of the world and in a close and the last thing I want to do is become the talk of the residential committee (which I am part of, to make it worse!). Again, I do not want this to be a deciding factor, but it would put my mid to rest if I knew that maybe there was a 'quiet' setting that I could leave enabled in the evening for the next morning? I have regular weekend trips I make starting at 5AM.

To be clear, I want the noise! That's one of the points of getting the car in the first place, just wondering if there is a 'tame' setting that could be used for early mornings?

Thanks in advance.
Just go for it I'd say, if you get on well with your neighbours I'm sure they'll be fine.
My neighbours have been used to noisy cars for the past 18 years, Mitsubshi EVO's, Impreza STI's(full decat, one even had a group N exhaust system), C63 (full fat 6.2 litre) and the current W212 5.5 E63.
The E63 is the only one they've actually made comment on, in that its been the loudest by far.
Personally I let the E63 shut-up before I drive off, because I think driving it immediately only increases the noise even more.
I leave the house most mornings about 6.30am.

As everyone else has already said, there is no quiet setting.

I’m sure my CLS63 cold start is shorter since being remapped / new Turbos, maybe 12 secs v around 20 seconds.

I’m lucky that my neighbours tell me they don’t mind the noise, plus one of them has just bought a Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4, which to me sounds even louder during its cold start cycle....

it's not too bad if you put it into gear straight away as soon as it fires up - it drops the revs and it's a lot quieter than letting it idle for 20 secs. Either way, it's louder than most cars TBH, but not an unpleasant sound. I think Euro 6 regs require it for a quick light-off of the cats.

So I didn't do it in the end :-( I went for a more sensible E350d.

There was just too much against it:

- I do around 30,000 miles a year and a V8 petrol isn't the right car
- Running/servicing costs
- Noise/neighbours

Maybe next time if/when circumstances change, specifically if I do less mileage.

Thanks for all the feedback!

The E350d is a great car: very refined and a really good blend of performance and economy. I'm sure you'll love it :thumb:

Especially if you take it up to Acid at MSL and get him to 'attend' to it ;)

Forgive my ignorance, but what would that involve and what would they do? I'm intrigued!

Forgive my ignorance, but what would that involve and what would they do? I'm intrigued!

It's best to talk to Acid on the phone - he will tell you exactly what you can have done, the process, the advantages/disadvantages if any, and perhaps most importantly, the price. Speak to him on his mobile for a quick chat - 07765 44 44 47

Cheers

So I didn't do it in the end :-( I went for a more sensible E350d.

There was just too much against it:

- I do around 30,000 miles a year and a V8 petrol isn't the right car
- Running/servicing costs
- Noise/neighbours

Maybe next time if/when circumstances change, specifically if I do less mileage.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Never mind, you can always buy a drum kit to wake the neighbours up instead.

I live in a small ‘close’ only 12 houses- cul de sac
Very quiet until I moved there...
First I had the SL500 with resonator delete, then the 5.5 bi turbo
I used to drive myself to the airport, every few weeks 3.30/4am
The neighbours never said a word, no complaints , real nice bunch
Even so I started getting taxis last year, still doing it
Since I got the i8 though a few have commented and thanked me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom