E63 Juddering / Crabbing - what is going on? Rejecting car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm half tempted to backtrack and let them try and fix it + keep the summer tyres. I cannot think of another car that does what this does (Estate format) so I'm properly stuck. My old car is collected Thursday and this one is supposed to go back tomorrow.

ARGH.....
Depending upon how long you keep the car, having a set of winter and summer tyres may mean you never have to buy a set!

I’ve just checked the manual for one of my cars and it says:

At temperatures below +7 degrees, use winter tyres or all-season tyres. Both types of tyre are identified by the M+S marking

It’s not a 4Matic but it is an AMG. It says ”use” them, it doesn’t say ”you could think possibly about using them if you live in an area with deep snow”, which suggests to me that Mercedes expects winter tyres to be used, at least on this model.

hopefully you will now get to try a car like the M5
Given the reports on line of folk with M5's having tyre skip issues, then he'll be no further forward, or indeed happier with his purchase.
Personally I'd rather have the interior of the E63 than that of an M5.

What is now very clear to me, is that its not just a 4Matic thing.
Its quite widespread.

I’ve just checked the manual for one of my cars and it says:

At temperatures below +7 degrees, use winter tyres or all-season tyres. Both types of tyre are identified by the M+S marking

It’s not a 4Matic but it is an AMG. It says ”use” them, it doesn’t say ”you could think possibly about using them if you live in an area with deep snow”, which suggests to me that Mercedes expects winter tyres to be used, at least on this model.
I’ve just checked and the handbook for another car, which is an AMG and 4matic says the same thing.

I've already rejected the car but could probably still keep it if I offered to let them try different tyres. If I'm knackered no matter what car I go for I don't know what to do.
Exactly what I've been saying all along. There are options out there, but if you ask me I would definitely stick with the E63. In a couple of months you'll be smiling like a Cheshire cat and wondering what all the fuss was about (until next winter :p). Joking aside, I'm not sure what brand, but some owners have reported summer tyres that will mask/rectify the skipping issue in winter and are more than capable of spirited summer driving. Someone here may be able to help, if not ask your dealer what tyres they are considering supplying.

I'm half tempted to backtrack and let them try and fix it + keep the summer tyres. I cannot think of another car that does what this does (Estate format) so I'm properly stuck. My old car is collected Thursday and this one is supposed to go back tomorrow.

ARGH.....
Backtrack :thumb::banana:

Ok, I'm happy to admit where I might be wrong - perhaps this is prevalent on other cars which make me feel a lot more comfortable about it in a way. If it was purely a Mercedes thing I wouldn't accept it. I've spoken to the dealer and asked him whether or not I can change the tyres, plus keep the summer tyres. I've also asked if they do fit the tyres and it doesn't fix the issue i'd still be looking to reject it. He's going to think about it because he's worried that they would fit 1K of tyres with the chance of it still coming back. Surely they would have to fit new tyres anyway as the next person that comes along will likely think the same thing. The juddering on mine is terrible and not something insignificant.

The final hurdle then is the service history, especially the 1875 mile oil change which I am now thinking has been missed. They serviced it before they save it to me on 2100 miles but that was the yearly service due on it and not the 1875 mile one. I know on BMW if you miss the running in service you've basically got an unsalable car on your hands. Is that the same with Mercedes?

Thanks for everyone advice by the way, I'm not trying to be deliberately provocative its just frustration really and entering panic mode that I've bought a lemon.

The final hurdle then is the service history, especially the 1875 mile oil change which I am now thinking has been missed. They serviced it before they save it to me on 2100 miles but that was the yearly service due on it and not the 1875 mile one. I know on BMW if you miss the running in service you've basically got an unsalable car on your hands. Is that the same with Mercedes?

Thanks for everyone advice by the way, I'm not trying to be deliberately provocative its just frustration really and entering panic mode that I've bought a lemon.

About that 1875 mile diff oil change.
I purchased my E63 with approx 4K on it (management car also, from a Manchester MB dealer)
I don't know if they diff oil was changed or not, its not recorded on the digital service, but then again, its not a service perhaps, as some say it should be changed, and others say doesn't matter.
Maybe you'd be better asking the dealership you're dealing with about the warranty.
Put it this way, as far as I'm concerned the car is fully covered under warranty, it was serviced by MB under my care 4 months ago, and mobilio status is up to date etc on digital service records.

About that 1875 mile diff oil change.
I purchased my E63 with approx 4K on it (management car also, from a Manchester MB dealer)
I don't know if they diff oil was changed or not, its not recorded on the digital service, but then again, its not a service perhaps, as some say it should be changed, and others say doesn't matter.
Maybe you'd be better asking the dealership you're dealing with about the warranty.
Put it this way, as far as I'm concerned the car is fully covered under warranty, it was serviced by MB under my care 4 months ago, and mobilio status is up to date etc on digital service records.

Yeah, mine had a sticker in the window which was still in the vehicle and that's the only reason I know about it. MB says it covered under warranty even if services are late.

Lets see what happens but it would be crap if I had to get rid.

Given the reports on line of folk with M5's having tyre skip issues, then he'll be no further forward, or indeed happier with his purchase.
Personally I'd rather have the interior of the E63 than that of an M5.

What is now very clear to me, is that its not just a 4Matic thing.
Its quite widespread.

Exactly my point when I said the whole issue is becoming a bit of an echo chamber. Some AWD systems are more susceptible to it (in my opinion Porsche and Mercedes but as plus side they have the best steering feel of any AWD performance cars available today), but the issue is a bit more complex than most arm chair racers can or want to comprehend.

I personally find it more annoying that people jump on the internet and blast the system without making any attempt to fully understand it and in the process potentially affecting my resale value, all because they failed to completely satisfy themselves, as I did, before purchasing the car.

Exactly my point when I said the whole issue is becoming a bit of an echo chamber. Some AWD systems are more susceptible to it (in my opinion Porsche and Mercedes but as plus side they have the best steering feel of any AWD performance cars available today), but the issue is a bit more complex than most arm chair racers can or want to comprehend.

I personally find it more annoying that people jump on the internet and blast the system without making any attempt to fully understand it and in the process potentially affecting my resale value, all because they failed to completely satisfy themselves, as I did, before purchasing the car.

I can see your point of view but its still crap. The point is still valid and it shouldn't happen. It's not a normal thing to expect therefore you wouldn't specifically research this, how can you expect me to know every possible problem before I purchase it? They supplied the car with a set of tyres that should be fit for the season they are selling the vehicle in. The test drive did not highlight any issues. Lastly, the very fact they accepted a rejection tells you a story doesn't it? They tell me that they have this issue on A35's, A45's, C43's and GLC models. I've not heard any major reports of such wide spread issues across other manufacturers - not saying they don't exist as I've mentioned previously.

I'm sorry you find it 'annoying' but what else do you expect me to do? Give everyone a high five that I'm having to go through a major ballache in trying to get the car sorted or hand it back?

Had a call from the dealer and they are having difficulty getting the tyres that fit my rear wheels. They said they'll go and look to see what is available in the group but not looking good so far. Only other option is to swap out the wheels for different wheels / tyres.

Last edited:

Praise the lord

I can see your point of view but its still crap. The point is still valid and it shouldn't happen. It's not a normal thing to expect therefore you wouldn't specifically research this, how can you expect me to know every possible problem before I purchase it? They supplied the car with a set of tyres that should be fit for the season they are selling the vehicle in. The test drive did not highlight any issues. Lastly, the very fact they accepted a rejection tells you a story doesn't it? They tell me that they have this issue on A35's, A45's, C43's and GLC models. I've not heard any major reports of such wide spread issues across other manufacturers - not saying they don't exist as I've mentioned previously.

It is crap and your point is only valid because your statement beautifully demonstrates exactly what I am talking about. You call it a problem, Mercedes call's it a characteristic. Hence why they offered to take the car back from you.

You of course as a customer have every right to change your mind. Which you have done again since reading that its not an isolated problem and can be fixed. I read about the problem, drove a similar car for a weekend, and went ahead and bought winter tyre's with the car as I have done for the last 3 cars I have owned, so this characteristic doesn't concern me.

I'm sorry you find it 'annoying' but what else do you expect me to do? Give everyone a high five that I'm having to go through a major ballache in trying to get the car sorted or hand it back?

The car doesn't meet your expectations, and your dealer is making every attempt to meet them by doing what ever you decide, I don't see any ballache that you yourself didn't create, the information on the internet you are reading now is the same information that's been up and around for the past 2 years. I call that outstanding customer service, and that is nothing less than to be expected on 75k plus car.

I had a 981S Boxster recently. It juddered massively from the front wheels when on full lock.

Nothing wrong with it and just a function of the suspension / steering geometry. Zero consideration to this given once you experience the awesome handling.

I think your dealer is excellent. When I raised this issue originally, my dealer referred me to Mercedes in Germany who told me to p*ss off. I then asked if they would pay towards winter tyres and was again told to get lost.

So if your dealer agrees to paying of tyres, I think you have had two wins, the rejection acceptance in the first place and then the tyres!

I think your dealer is excellent. When I raised this issue originally, my dealer referred me to Mercedes in Germany who told me to p*ss off. I then asked if they would pay towards winter tyres and was again told to get lost.

So if your dealer agrees to paying of tyres, I think you have had two wins, the rejection acceptance in the first place and then the tyres!

I agree and I have told them as much. No issue with the dealer at all.

pzNcJK2
It is crap and your point is only valid because your statement beautifully demonstrates exactly what I am talking about. You call it a problem, Mercedes call's it a characteristic. Hence why they offered to take the car back from you.

You of course as a customer have every right to change your mind. Which you have done again since reading that its not an isolated problem and can be fixed. I read about the problem, drove a similar car for a weekend, and went ahead and bought winter tyre's with the car as I have done for the last 3 cars I have owned, so this characteristic doesn't concern me.

The car doesn't meet your expectations, and your dealer is making every attempt to meet them by doing what ever you decide, I don't see any ballache that you yourself didn't create, the information on the internet you are reading now is the same information that's been up and around for the past 2 years. I call that outstanding customer service, and that is nothing less than to be expected on 75k plus car.

If Mercedes says it a characteristic and recommend to fit winter tyres, then I find it very very odd that no tyres are available for my alloy with a winter spec. Also, the 'recommended' tyre for my car is the tyre that is already fitted. This is from blackcircles.com. I'm afraid if blackcircles don't have a winter tyre and they recommend the one that jumps excessively then that cannot be considered a 'characteristic'. I fully expect you to disagree and that is your prerogative. What I will agree with you on is that my point is valid, you're right with that.

Winter Tyre Search
image-hosting.PNG
pzNcJK2

General Tyre Search
summer.PNG

98b8kK1

I also agree the dealer is excellent. I've never had a problem with the dealer and I've told them they've been superb with me so far.

pzNcJK2

If Mercedes says it a characteristic and recommend to fit winter tyres, then I find it very very odd that no tyres are available for my alloy with a winter spec. Also, the 'recommended' tyre for my car is the tyre that is already fitted. This is from blackcircles.com. I'm afraid if blackcircles don't have a winter tyre and they recommend the one that jumps excessively then that cannot be considered a 'characteristic'. I fully expect you to disagree and that is your prerogative. What I will agree with you on is that my point is valid, you're right with that.

Winter Tyre Search
View attachment 91369
pzNcJK2

General Tyre Search
View attachment 91370

98b8kK1

I also agree the dealer is excellent. I've never had a problem with the dealer and I've told them they've been superb with me so far.
You’re trying to buy winter tyres for a performance car in the middle of winter, it will be more difficult fo find a set and more expensive than trying in say August when demand is lower.

Awareness of winter tyres is increasing every year, and the number of cars which need them in the UK is increasing every year, and you’re looking for them at exactly the same time as everybody else, ie just after temperatures dropped lower enough to cause skipping...

...and hence Blackcircles are currently out of stock. The same tyres and sizes will be used on other cars from other manufacturers, almost all off which will be affected by skipping and hence buying winter tyres. To me, that proves that it is a characteristic.

Last edited:
Something I don’t think anyone has mentioned: if you think that skipping in cold conditions is an unacceptable design issue, wait until you’re on the same tyres in falling snow, miles from home!

You’re trying to buy winter tyres for a performance car in the middle of winter, it will be more difficult fo find a set and more expensive than trying in say August when demand is lower.

Awareness of winter tyres is increasing every year, and the number of cars which need them in the UK is increasing every year, and you’re looking for them at exactly the same time as everybody else, ie just after temperatures dropped lower enough to cause skipping...

...and hence Blackcircles are currently out of stock. The same tyres and sizes will be used on other cars from other manufacturers, almost all off which will be affected by skipping and hence buying winter tyres. To me, that proves that it is a characteristic.

Mind blown. You can always rely on internet keyboard warriors. Honestly - don’t bother replying I won’t be reading it. Got to say the vast majority of people on here are very nice and helpful but a small section are complete plebs that are unwilling to let go of their pride and ego to accept something isn’t right with their precious car.

I’ve still not accepted the car and the fact I can’t get a tyre when I need it (and not 6 months before hand like everyone else on the developed world does - lol) isn’t acceptable.

We’re hardly in the middle of the worst winter since time began.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom