E63 losing power...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nico2014

Car
W204 C220 CDI sport, W204 C350 CDI Sport, W212 E350 CDI Sport and Now E63 AMG 6.3 AMG PP
Hi everyone,

Not sure what is wrong with my car, but this morning I took my car to drive round the corner and immediately noticed that when I pressed the accelerator (gently) doing 20mph it was losing power. The more I pressed the accelerator the slower the car was getting?? So I managed to stop it on the side road and tried different mode to Sport still nothing. So I turned off the engine and restarted it again and only then the car was ok to drive. I do not like the sound of this TBH.

So I called MB road assistance and they are sending someone in now. I guess my car will be taken to a garage for proper inspection and repair. It is only now 4 months that I have this new car and I am annoyed but I do have the warranty in place so should be ok. and it only has 12k on the clock so it is new to me!

Has anyone experienced something similar with the engine? Or does anyone know what the problem could be? thanks...

This happened to me in my 2013 C63, I was accelerating from a slip road onto the motorway and i lost all power. I noticed the tick over was very lumpy when this happened. I turned off the ignition and started again and everything was ok, it's happened twice now. I took it to Paul at Eurocharged for a remap and he said star had detected a fuel pump error but he had put it down to the possibility that my battery was low as my car sits around for up to a month at a time. When I took it to dealer for a service I told them what had happened but they said no errors. Since then I have kept my battery charged and no problems.

thanks for letting me know Paul. I use my car almost every day and I would be surprised if my battery was low but will ask the road assistance engineer to check this out too and the fuel pump just in case...

thanks for letting me know Paul. I use my car almost every day and I would be surprised if my battery was low but will ask the road assistance engineer to check this out too and the fuel pump just in case...

Using everyday but how far do you travel?

Between 10 to 30 miles daily. Sometimes slightly more or less. I do also quite a bit of driving in town and take it to motorway from time to time to drive it well...

Now someone from Road Assistance contacted me to confirm someone will be at my home at 430pm today to check the car... Just have to wait...

Hi again, MB engineer carried out a full diagnostic and test drove the car. Nothing wrong was found from diagnostic or car. So I am not sure what is the problem... Could be a software related issue that is what the Engineer said, but I doubt it personally...

Now I just drove it quite lively for a little while and it was driving fantastic again but to be on the safe side, I will book it to MB car dealership to have a good look at it.

Still a mystery...

If it was checked by an MB mechanic with no codes or problems found what makes you think a dealer will find anything different? Personally wouldn't bother unless it's free or it happens again

If it was checked by an MB mechanic with no codes or problems found what makes you think a dealer will find anything different? Personally wouldn't bother unless it's free or it happens again

You are right actually. If it happens again then I will book it for a check up...

Happily stand corrected but I believe the pedal can sometimes be an issue, it puts the car into 'limp mode'.

But what do I know :crazy:

Matt

Hi folks, guess what? My car broke down today. It was driving perfect and was enjoying the drive on motorway, and upon joining the A1 towards London, all of a sudden when I got to a round about with traffic lights, my car was rattling sideway like a tractor and the engine automatically shut down. I knew it not good then. I had to restart the car to see if I could get out of the round about and it was still vibrating sideway with engine losing power and so I pulled up nearby on a safe hard shoulder. The dashboard was showing engine failure.

At this point, I called mb assistance who arranged a pick up truck. But had to wait for over an hour in my car. I could not fault Mobilo service, staff over the phone were very helpful and professional. My car is now at Mercedes AMG Colindale, which engineers will only look at full diagnosis and what is the problem on Monday. MB assistance organised taxi to get me home and arranged a replacement vehicle as part of the service until my car is fully repaired. This time I got the new c class (but not an AMG).

I am still gutted about my car as I only had it for now 5 months. I know it is all under warranty but I was not expecting this! Not sure how long this will take with repair as it will all depend what they find... Fingers crossed.

Has anyone experienced something similar with an Amg?

Anyone suspecting what could be wrong?

Faulty coil pack or fuel injector maybe?

Thanks Lee, any of these common as developing faults? Also, are they difficult to repair?

Thanks Lee, any of these common as developing faults? Also, are they difficult to repair?

You should get a OBD code reader, then you can just plug in and get the code for the error.
Sounds like you have a engine misfire if its running lumpy....could you hear a knocking noise (what a misfire sounds like)

If it is a coil pack it takes minutes to change if its a injector then about 40 mins.

You should get a OBD code reader, then you can just plug in and get the code for the error.
Sounds like you have a engine misfire if its running lumpy....could you hear a knocking noise (what a misfire sounds like)

If it is a coil pack it takes minutes to change if its a injector then about 40 mins.

Thanks Lee. The car was jerking sideways with sound making intermittent bangs... Scary

Sounds like a misfire.
I had a injector failure and thought I had put a piston through the block the noise it was making.
Fingers crossed it's just a coil pack or injector

Hi,
Almost certainly a faulty coil pack problem.
This means one side of engine would have been working but not the other - so imagine the imbalance that would cause, along with strange sounds and vibrations.
Happened a few months back on our Tiguan (about a week after it was remapped - common cause of the problem) - two of the four coil units had failed and it ran like a tractor - fixed under warranty in less than an hour.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks Lee and Steve,

This could be like you both said a faulty coil pack. I have not made any modifications since I bought the car but I am somewhat really surprised that it happened as the car has only got 13k miles on the clock, which is deemed fairly new IMO. Why would the problem occur at this stage? This is a bit of a worry... Netherveless if the fault is more serious, not sure what, but the extended warranty should take care of this problem...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom