E63 M157 exhaust questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longman h

Car
E63 Biturbo Estate
I know there's been some discussion in various threads about different exhaust options but I wanted to try and consolidate everything.

So as I understand it, these are the options:
1. Remove the resonators and replace with either a straight through pipe on either side, an X pipe or an H pipe.

2. Remove primary cats and either fit race cats or just decat pipes

3. Remove secondary cats

4. Modify the stock back boxes by removing the sound absorbing material inside and wrapping the perforated pipes

5. Replace stock downpipes with an aftermarket version

6. Fit an aftermarket system like Supersprint/Miltek etc.

Now bang for buck, I'm thinking of going for the resonator delete but I'm unsure whether to fit straight pipes or the H pipe (have read this gives a better noise that the X).

I basically want the same exhaust note as the standard car but just a little louder with no drone.
Can anyone advise please?

Further down the line when I look at remapping etc, I'll be looking at removing the secondary cats.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have some catless downpipes installed at msl is the best bet when you have the car tuned

If your going all the way to the backboxes I went x-pipe

My initial mod to the exhaust was to just remove the resonator and replace with an H pipe, as recommended by Torqueflow, which seems to give the sound you're looking for. Subdued under normal driving though more pronounced under acceleration, with a nice "bark" but no drone at all.

Don't know about secondary and primary cats, mine only had one per side, as in primary, though if you do have two each side then taking the secondaries out should also enhance the noise.

I would suggest leaving the back boxes in place, at least for the time being, and just whip the resonator out. Hopefully this will give you the desired effect at a reasonable cost.

I was / am in this exact same phase with mine. I want a bit more sound ( plus remap) but nothing that I will regret later. MSL's advice was to remove the resonator and try that then there's other options going forward. It was to be carried out some week back but personal reasons meant I couldn't get over to them so i have that to look forward to when I am bac in the UK

There is a superior option -

Remove engine and replace with a m156 ;0)

Thanks for the comments guys and I think I might try removing the resonators and fit a straight pipe each side instead of an H or X.

There is a superior inferior option -

Just a shame that the M156 doesn't suit the superior qualities of the W212 platform really, noisy shouty thing that it is. It has to be saved by Weistec if you want it to go a bit. :thumb:

Thanks for the comments guys and I think I might try removing the resonators and fit a straight pipe each side instead of an H or X.

Do put some form of connecting pipe in, it will help to balance the flow of the banks out.

Last edited:
Just a shame that the M156 doesn't suit the superior qualities of the W212 platform really, noisy shouty thing that it is. It has to be saved by Weistec if you want it to go a bit. :thumb:

Do put some form of connecting pipe in, it will help to balance the flow of the banks out.

I've just done a little reading regarding crossover pipes and yes, I think I need to put something in, thanks.

Did they fabricate the H pipe or was it bought from someone like Supersprint etc?

Thanks for the help.

There is a superior option -

:eek: what and loose some power and increase fuel consumption ;)

Did they fabricate the H pipe or was it bought from someone like Supersprint etc?

Thanks for the help.

Torqueflow just made it up on the bench. Only took an hour or so. :thumb:

He has loads of pipe in most diameters in stock, so no hassle

I have Weistec downpipes with sports cats, secondary cat delete with no resonator into factory back boxes.

Sounds great... but i think i'll be getting rid of the factory back section and replacing with a proper system. as there is a slight diameter difference and i'd prefer to have no restrictions on the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom