E63 or E63s w212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bron

Car
E63 AMG biturbo
Hi

I am comparing facelift w212 e63 models and the e63s I am considering is about £10,000 more expensive than the e63

Both have the same spec apart from electric tailgate so in terms of features and toys they are pretty close

The question I have is whether the E63s is worth the extra £10,000

What are your thoughts or experiences for and against

I am not biast towards the low fat E63, had I found the right Full fat 63s car when I was looking then I would have purchased. But in hard terms this is the difference as I see it

Full fat 63s has a few more BHP, LSD and unrated brakes.

Low fat 63 puts down virtually the same 0-60 (besides the 40 or so extra bop, me no understand why the LSD alone doesn't make any difference) and it doesn't aliviate your pocket of £2k when the front discs and pads need changing.

Last edited:
I went for the 63S

The main differences are tweaked suspension, LSD and a few options as standard like rear blind etc.

Personally i love my S and the diff/handling does make a difference over the normal E63.
Is it worth 10k.... no probably not, but i got mine at a good price with low millage (24k)
So i cant complain.

Depends if you want the handling options, if you are gonna drive the car then you'd notice the S changes, if your gonna potter around and occasionally give it full throttle then the normal E63 will more than suffice, espcially options wise if they are the same.
Electric tail gate is great mind, love the easy access function to open it with your foot ;)

and unrated brakes.

What uprated brakes?

I'm sure the cost of the additions didn't relate to an actual mark up of £10K.

The £10K difference was when new and an opportunity to get a few more quid out of those who wanted the "pinnacle" in the S.

I'm one of those - I had to have an S because it was an S - I'm odd like that.

:doh: predictive text or dyslexic finger, you decide

No,you misundertand - I mean what do you mean by uprated brakes on the S. Other than being red I'm not aware of any upgrade over E63 :dk:.

Hi

I am comparing facelift w212 e63 models and the e63s I am considering is about £10,000 more expensive than the e63

Like for like spec/age/mileage and the S is £10K more :confused:

That's great for us S owners, but surprising - can you show the two links please?

No,you misundertand - I mean what do you mean by uprated brakes on the S. Other than being red I'm not aware of any upgrade over E63 :dk:.

I thought that about ours - the ML63PP is the equivalent to the E63S - and comes with the red calipers. I spoke to more than one dealer and they all said the pads are different between the PP and the standard car.

I didn't dare ask about disks, knowing I needed the expensive pads told me all I needed to know about the disks!

Hmm, how old is the ML Rob?

I priced new pads recently, from a link Dave(enty) gave me and got exactly the same price he got for his car.

There are some listed differences between S and non S by MB and brakes aren't identified as different, albeit it's only in the sales brochure and MB are a bit tight with technical information.

I thought that about ours - the ML63PP is the equivalent to the E63S - and comes with the red calipers. I spoke to more than one dealer and they all said the pads are different between the PP and the standard car.

I didn't dare ask about disks, knowing I needed the expensive pads told me all I needed to know about the disks!

I've read a few times on the forum that PP cars (S would be included) have different pads and discs which cost an arm n leg

Hmm, how old is the ML Rob?

I priced new pads recently, from a link Dave(enty) gave me and got exactly the same price he got for his car.

There are some listed differences between S and non S by MB and brakes aren't identified as different, albeit it's only in the sales brochure and MB are a bit tight with technical information.

2 years old, one of the last before it became the GLE63S. The brakes look the same on the GLE63S but not had it side by side to compare though.

The brochure just says the calipers are red! No mention of a different set up which made me think it was purely cosmetic.

I've read a few times on the forum that PP cars (S would be included) have different pads and discs which cost an arm n leg

My local dealer were more expensive than online (I think it was Southend I tried, maybe Edinburgh) but they got me in same day, so worth a little extra. I can't remember how much they were now, but I think around £450 including VAT for front and rear pads, and then fitting on top.

So it seems like apart from bragging rights and having the s on the badge the non s e63 makes more sense especially as it wont be tracked or raced

PP doesn't exist on the facelift W212 as far as I'm aware, only on the earlier models. The facelift AMG was initially brought out as a one model car for 2013, albeit with loads of options, with the S version following a few months (possibly 12?) later.

I believe that the brakes are the same on both models, though there was an optional Carbon Ceramic version, which would be considerably more expensive to replace, though should last substantially longer.

The main difference, at least to me, between the E63 and E63S would be the increase in power (557 v 585bhp) and a supposed top speed increase from 155 to 185mph, both of which can easily be achieved with a bit of mapping.

All figures approximate as I haven't got time to research this morning. :)

So it seems like apart from bragging rights

It also seems as though the extra (circa £10k iirc) premium for the S has held up quite well as you've found.

I suppose the thing to really think about is when you're spending £30-35k on a car that does 16mpg what's another £5k+ to get the 'top' model. It certainly isn't an easy decision in my mind.

So it seems like apart from bragging rights and having the s on the badge the non s e63 makes more sense especially as it wont be tracked or raced

Hit the nail on the head there. Like I said, the LSD seems to make little difference, certainly not in a drag race anyway.

Can you explain what you mean please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom