E63 - police auction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jukie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MY11 E350 CDi Avantgarde
I'm sure they must appear regularly but it's the first time I've come across a car being sold by a Constabulary on eBay.

W212 E63 5,5 POCA auction

Bi-turbo, uncommon colour, I would say. Timing chain issue will need sorting, the cost of which may negate a potential bargain.

They've got approximately 3300 positive feedbacks and judging by the comments, it's due to them selling designer clothing! :p I'd love to know where it was sourced from! 😇

They've got approximately 3300 positive feedbacks and judging by the comments, it's due to them selling designer clothing! :p I'd love to know where it was sourced from! 😇

I wonder if all the designer gear was verified by a independent expert ? Would be funny if some of it turned out to be "Jekyll and Hydes" :)

It sounds like some tracksuit wearing chav has ragged it to within an inch of its life (then continued until the timing chain is trashed ) and then had it seized by the police for selling drugs ?:rolleyes:
Or maybe none of the above ;)

Possibly a decent buy for someone prepared to spend a few £k sorting the timing chain issue and oil leak.
But I wouldn't want to be paying more than the current asking price considering the gap in the service history along with its other issues. It does have the extremely expensive alloys, new discs and pads and a nice colour in its favour. The black interior and pre facelift design would deter me personally.

It does have the extremely expensive alloys, new discs and pads and a nice colour in its favour.
The red callipers indicate it’s a Performance Pack Plus car too. And it has Distronic.

However, it will be a brave soul with deep(ish) pockets to take it on even at £15k (imo, of course).

I guess the new owner will be stopped on a regular basis by the police:mad:

No bids as of yet. Alot of car and alot of bills for the money. I guess one would need to spend a good 5k to get it right but who knows whats lurking with the timing chain issue...

Interesting! Steering wheel looks filthy! Clearly one of the less well looked after examples. Be surprised if this sells, as they're probably aren't many dealers with the knowledge of these to take the risk when the margin will be so low, and I can't see an end user wanting such a risky and crap (cosmetically and service wise) example! Most folk who look for these cars expect near perfect, and most examples are pretty good tbh, so it all conspires against the loveable plod seller in my opinion.

It's not too far away from me so, if I remember, I might take a trip there tomorrow with my star and see what's actually wrong.

The red callipers indicate it’s a Performance Pack Plus car too.
Were red callipers not a stand alone option as on the 6.2 pre-facelift cars? A £560 option on my old 2011 car.

Were red callipers not a stand alone option as on the 6.2 pre-facelift cars?
Yes, they were, but very unusual to see them on a non-PPP Biturbo. I should really have said that they “probably” indicate it’s a PPP example.

Regardless of whether the car is a PPP version or not, my comment above,
However, it will be a brave soul with deep(ish) pockets to take it on even at £15k (imo, of course).
still stands unless the CEL can be confirmed as something cheap to fix and the oil leak is benign.

Being an early M157 it most likely won’t have had the check valves and uprated tensioners fitted. So likely it has stretched the cam timing chains. P00016/17/18/19 normally appear when this is the case. It could be a cam sensor issue due to the known oil leak scenario, but that could also have a knock on effect to the ECU / ECU harness. The oil leak could be elsewhere and until checked could be minor, but could be major (another thread is covering this already).

Given the car looks very tired then it’s possible it’s not been well maintained. One concern is that the car can still be driven if the fault code for the timing chain issue is constantly deleted, but it accelerates the damage to the point where the chain could jump, but doubt it has in this case as they don’t mention it not being driveable.

Worse case then budget £4k-£5k for the Timing chain issue. Likely that other parts will need replacing whilst it’s being done.

Oil leak - could be anywhere from £300-£???? Depending on what and where it is.

Alloys all need doing, so to do properly with the diamond cut faces circa £500. Tyres may need replacing so circa £750. The Service is due so anywhere from £350-£1250 if things like gearbox oil etc haven’t been done. Hopefully it doesn’t need paint, but if it didn’t it would still need a good detail at circa £500, plus I’d want that interior totally deep cleaned so another £200. All that aside there are still other items such as all electrics working, aircon working, no leaks / water ingress etc etc.

So worse case it could need £8k-£11k. Best case £2k.

Roll the dice……..

So worse case it could need £8k-£11k. Best case £2k.

Roll the dice……..
Succinct summary after a good analysis (that saved me much typing!).

As a £10k purchase it could be viable, at £15k its a very risky punt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom