E63 - problems seclecting R D & P (on and off)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisCLS55

Car
Mercedes E63
I’ve been having some issues lately selecting reverse, drive and park with my 2014 E63, I can only select R when in D for example by switching off the engine and then switching it back on. Same from R to D. Pressing P doesn’t work at all. Sometimes it will work as normal. In S + it also seems like it’s struggling to select the right gear and the car can feel jerky. Anyone else experienced this type of thing?

I’ve booked it in with Mercedes Newcastle for tomorrow who seem to think it’s a software issue. I told the technician the car is still under warranty and he said it doesn’t cover diagnostic or software updates, which start at £99 per hour, is that true?

They are very helpful as always and someone come out to have a look straight away and said if I could wait a week or so they would get it in and give me a courtesy car, but I have the use of other vehicles. He also said if it’s just a software update they will carry it out in th price of the diagnostic.

They also replaced the batteries in my keys and said they will inflate the tires up to the right air pressure as they are showing up on the dash to be short of a fe PSI in each corner.

Just as jiggly and hopefully maybe nothing is turning on full lock in reverser or forward at low speeds there is a slight noise which feels like sometimgnis rubbing. Don’t know if it’s the steering or suspension. This isn’t a 4matic E63 so it’s not crabbing issues.

I don't see why a firmware update is chargeable if it fixes or even attempts to fix an issue.

You are not asking for it to be done for the sake of it.

I've had an issue previously which MB upgraded the firmware to fix and unfortunately it didn't.

At first they tried to charge me but I told them the car had an MB warranty on it - they cancelled the charge.

If they had have come back saying it didn't matter, you still pay, I would have argued the toss.

So I would challenge any charge because if you are going to have to pay for warranty items, what's the point of buying a car under warranty or extending it...

I’ve booked it in with Mercedes Newcastle for tomorrow who seem to think it’s a software issue. I told the technician the car is still under warranty and he said it doesn’t cover diagnostic or software updates, which start at £99 per hour, is that true?
Not exactly sure how it works, but if it is work that would be applicable under the warranty you shouldn't have to pay as they can claim this back. If they run diagnostics and it is a problem that is not under warranty i think you have to pay the charge. Although if i were you, i would debate it with them and they might wave it anyway...

If as john says above it is a firmware issue that fixes the problem, that shouldn't be chargeable.

In my experience they always tell me up front that it might not be covered by warranty, usually I think just to protect themselves in case it's something you've borked.

I've never had an issue once it's been carried out though as it's always something that has genuinely failed.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom