E63 race start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACB44

Car
E63 AMG S & AMG GTS
So mine is a 62 plate and I havent been able to engage race start. I asked MB on the last service but it was when i picked it up and he didnt know whether it was on my car BUT he dud say "you only have a limited number of uses and then it cant be used again, ever" now that sounded BS to me! Thoughts?

A friend told me on a VW he had they told him if you used the launch control more than 3 times it invalidated the warranty! So maybe thats what he meant??

I smell BS from the dealer. I have used RS quite a few times (on a C63). Transmission has not blown up and I have not been warned off at service time.
It is quite a ritual to get it to work - you have to follow instructions to the letter, planets need to be aligned, 3 Hail Marys and 7 Our Fathers etc etc. Double check up to operating temp, steering wheel dead straight, flat on throttle.

As the above really, with the addition that there is a finite number of times it can be used, but only "per session". If it wasn't there to be used, why fit it in the first place?

There are so many criteria to be met it's not really worth messing with and, by the time you've managed to engage it, whatever you're "racing" will be sat at the finish line chilling out. Apparently it's been simplified on the current version though I've not tried it out yet.

I tried it several times on the 212 and just gave up in the end after deciding life's too short...

As the two aboves!
Tried it twice , worked once didn't see the point or any better than sport+ so left it alone since

Basicly you need to do this.

Wheel straight
Hit the AMG button... Traction in "Sport" Trans in S+ and Suspension in either Sport or Sport+

Then depress the brake pedal very hard (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT) over 50% pressure needs to be attained or it wont allow you to twist the dial to RS.

Then once that's done it'll flick into RS and then it'll ask you on the dash if you wish to confirm by pressing the "UP" paddle.

Once you've done that it literally is mash the Accell and then let go of the brake... It'll hit the "launch limiter" and then just release the brake while firmly keeping the accelrator down.
Now if your running good grippy tyres then hold onto your face... as it really does hook well.

Basicly you need to do this.

Wheel straight
Hit the AMG button... Traction in "Sport" Trans in S+ and Suspension in either Sport or Sport+

Then depress the brake pedal very hard (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT) over 50% pressure needs to be attained or it wont allow you to twist the dial to RS.

Then once that's done it'll flick into RS and then it'll ask you on the dash if you wish to confirm by pressing the "UP" paddle.

Once you've done that it literally is mash the Accell and then let go of the brake... It'll hit the "launch limiter" and then just release the brake while firmly keeping the accelrator down.
Now if your running good grippy tyres then hold onto your face... as it really does hook well.

This is what I was shown on my AMG Driving experience yesterday, left foot hard on the brake and floor the accelerator and then let the brake pedal go and keep the power full on. Unless you do this the car will detect the half-hearted attempt and not do a proper race start.

Brutal but fun when the tyres aren't yours!

Once you've done it a few times it's actually very easy and quick to engage, if the criteria has been met. At TV2 I could get it engaged in a couple of seconds when rolling up to the line.

Yep I have no probs setting up mine fast without fail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom