E63 Reverse Camera Retrofit at COMAND.co.uk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
Thanks Rob & Richard for an excellent job this morning!

Arrived at COMAND.co.uk at around 8:45am and introduced myself to the ever patient Chris (who had to move my job in their diary multiple times over the last couple of weeks - sorry :eek: ) who took the keys and suggested I retired to the local café over the road for a while.

By noon I was having a chat with Richard (great to meet you at last) and Rob and then I was on my way with the Reverse Camera fitted, coded, and both looking and working as though it had been fitted on the line in Stuttgart. They have done a totally professional job and you'd never know that they'd had the car apart - which is a great tribute to their attention to detail and professionalism.

So, thanks again guys, and I'm very happy to recommend you :thumb:

StuartK said:
Is this possible on a pre facelift c63

Yes mate they do it all down there, definitely worth the travel if car didn't come with it. Also cheaper than finding one with reverse cam :)

StuartK said:
I quite fancy this mod it's a very handy tool :)

It's a shame it can't match the one in a W205, had one whilst mine was in for a service and the reverse camera on that made me hunt for awkward spaces to reverse into!

It's a shame it can't match the one in a W205, had one whilst mine was in for a service and the reverse camera on that made me hunt for awkward spaces to reverse into!

My father in law test drove a w205 with that park assist thing and it didn't work when he tried it lol. The salesman was a bit embarrassed poor sod.

Wish he had bought it was such a lovely car.

StuartK said:
My father in law test drove a w205 with that park assist thing and it didn't work when he tried it lol. The salesman was a bit embarrassed poor sod. Wish he had bought it was such a lovely car.

Ah is that what it's called? Was like a panoramic reverse feed with directional arrows whichever way you was pointing the front wheels so you could 'aim' yourself. Brilliant bit of kit

Ah is that what it's called? Was like a panoramic reverse feed with directional arrows whichever way you was pointing the front wheels so you could 'aim' yourself. Brilliant bit of kit

Oh no this one parked itself/steered itself :D

StuartK said:

Ohh yes I know what you mean now, I've never seen a car do it in person let alone sat in one, bet it's strange

My new E63 does that :D

It's quite unnerving when it does all the steering wheel twirling :crazy:

That's actually the parking sensors doing that rather than reverse camera.

Richard

richard said:
That's actually the parking sensors doing that rather than reverse camera. Richard

Really so from the distance it projects the path of the wheels into a visual aid? Proper clever that

Really so from the distance it projects the path of the wheels into a visual aid? Proper clever that

The parking sensors (and power steering) is doing the auto-park function - so yes, the sensors are that sensitive to put the car in the right place. (that is a very simplistic view, and it is more complicated!!)

The camera (or 360 camera) is just picture generating with video feed fed to COMAND. On some models (such as E class) the moving lines on the camera are pre-selected during initial configuration, in some models (current A,B,GLA,ML) there is a very expensive tool that is laid on the ground at a preset distance behind the car, aligned with a laser level thing and then the camera/Xentry calculates everything (and the camera is overlaying the moving lines).
(Older S class had separate control module for generating lines, old ML/GL/R had fixed lines generated by the COMAND itself)

Couple of years ago I took my (then) 14 year old Son to MB World for a driving experience. He drove a B-Class with the reversing camera & adaptive guidance lines system fitted. Without ever having sat in a driving seat before, he was able to reverse parallel park in a coned off bay.

Properly impressive bit of kit.

I have a S212 (07/15) which doesn't seem to be camera retrofit compatible... (according to the aforementioned). Phil have you the latest (curved facia) Comand setup?

My new E63 does that :D

It's quite unnerving when it does all the steering wheel twirling :crazy:
My kids love it when it parks itself.... The wife still doesn't trust it.

I have a S212 (07/15) which doesn't seem to be camera retrofit compatible... (according to the aforementioned). Phil have you the latest (curved facia) Comand setup?

You have NTG5, we can't yet get the cameras at sensible prices, so we could make a retrofit but it will be expensive. We are in process of making a W205 NTG5 retrofit for someone. If you get in contact with Alfie [email protected] he can work out what a W212.2 (S212) version costs

Richard

No, mine's a 2014 build with NTG 4.5. Richard has provided a comprehensive reply above.

You have NTG5, we can't yet get the cameras at sensible prices, so we could make a retrofit but it will be expensive. We are in process of making a W205 NTG5 retrofit for someone. If you get in contact with Alfie [email protected] he can work out what a W212.2 (S212) version costs

Richard

Richard, cheers for that update much appreciated, oh and Phil you jammy bugger!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom