E63 S212 rear diff question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rich764089

MB Enthusiast
Car
E63 AMG S212 5.5, W221 S500, W220 S600, GBS Zero, Defender Wolf 110, Audi A6 BiTdi, Octavia vRS
Hi all,

Having lurked on this site for some time, I am now an owner of my first AMG; a 2014 E63 (Obsidian Black, despite swearing I'd never have another black car).

I'm probably a fool, but rather than get used to the 550bhp of my first RWD car, I've spoken to Acid at MSL and will be getting a stage 1 map and Quaife diff fitted in January. I can never wait long before modding.

My question is about the diff housing, specifically: should I be worried about using the diff housing from A.N.Other car for the Quaife? Or should I use the housing from my own car instead (46k miles)? The disadvantage of the latter is that MSL will need the car for 2 or 3 days. I don't know a huge amount about the provenance of my diff to be honest, having only recently bought the car.

Probably a daft question, but thanks in advance for advice. I did search the forums, but couldn't find any info on this questions.

Cheers,

Rich

Welcome to the forum Rich.
You have gone almost the same route as me, only mine is a black 2014 saloon.
Acid remapped it Nov 2019 but I didn't get the Quaife fitted. It really need one with the torque produced.

Can't help with your diff housing question I'm afraid but IMHO I wouldn't worry about the housing coming from another vehicle. Acid is very particular and wouldn't do anything to cause future problems with your car.

BTW, don't be surprised to see your car is making circa 570bhp already.

Thanks for the welcome and your thoughts. I was thinking along similar lines, but good to tap into the knowledge on this site!

Yes, I've heard the M157 is often above the advertised output. I'm not chasing numbers, and would prefer just a "moderate" 660bhp or so. Hopefully that will retain usability/drivability and keep the car reliable for the long term.....

Thanks for the welcome and your thoughts. I was thinking along similar lines, but good to tap into the knowledge on this site!

Yes, I've heard the M157 is often above the advertised output. I'm not chasing numbers, and would prefer just a "moderate" 660bhp or so. Hopefully that will retain usability/drivability and keep the car reliable for the long term.....
Acid has turned down the boost on the M157 remaps to preserve longevity. Mine dynoed at 666bhp and 1015Nm.
Other tuners are still going for the big numbers. Not for me.

While you are there, get the resonator removed and straight piped. The cold start is something else!

That would do me nicely! I'm coming from 480bhp/600nM (Quattro), and the E63 already feels fairly hairy in standard form!

I was debating resonator delete, but I think it's probably loud enough for me as it is. What's the approximate damage on the wallet for the res delete and straight pipe you had done out of interest?

That would do me nicely! I'm coming from 480bhp/600nM (Quattro), and the E63 already feels fairly hairy in standard form!

I was debating resonator delete, but I think it's probably loud enough for me as it is. What's the approximate damage on the wallet for the res delete and straight pipe you had done out of interest?
It was around £300 at Torqueflow which operate within the MSL building. Takes around 2.5 hrs.
The downshifts and barks on upshift are really emphasised with the resonator gone.

It was around £300 at Torqueflow which operate within the MSL building. Takes around 2.5 hrs.
The downshifts and barks on upshift are really emphasised with the resonator gone.
That's not too bad actually.....tempting!

MOT friendly still?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom