E63 - Slightly Disappointed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amdownes

Car
2014 E63 Estate, 2012 BMW 640M Sport Convertible & 2014 VW Golf R DSG
I have had my 2014 E63 Estate for about a month now and I have to say I am slightly disappointed.

Two reasons:

Technology

I think aspects of the technology in incredibly outdated and it just wrong in a car of this calibre. I cannot believe that the car still has the same Parktronic technology I had in my first E320 in 1998 - a row of silly lights that are so slow to react. If common sense had prevailed I am sure I would have hit my garage door on more than one occasion if relying on the sensors. I do not understand why the principal display screen, in this case, Command is not used to choose and show the many parameters of the vehicle, such as tyre pressure, lighting settings, seat adjustment etc. I don’t find it particular easy using the steering wheel controls to select an option I want to view or change. Again the cockpit dial option selection system hasn't changed for decades. It was bearable 15 years ago, when there were not too many options to choose from, however with the ever increasing list of functions, I personally think it is ineffective and frustrating to use.

My BMW, Golf and Audi are miles ahead of technology implementation and ‘usability’

‘Packaging’

My last performance car was an RS6. Externally it looked mean, had a sports interior and had drama-free performance. The E63 looks to most like any other E Class – the only real obvious indication it is a performance vehicle, besides the badging is the quad exhaust tips. The interior is not that different to standard stock. The engine sound and exhaust growl however are much louder and aggressive than the Audi.

I don’t really understand the E63 package. The E63 is clearly meant to be understated but why then ‘the in your face’ sound effects which clearly don’t need to there – the Audi proves that.

I loaned an E220 CDI whilst waiting for the E63. I think this would retail for something like £36-£37k. I gave a good friend a lift in it and he was very complementary. I explained my plans that I was waiting for the E63. When it eventually arrived, I was keen to show him the difference and had a fairly long run in it. He was suitably impressed by the sound of it and the performance but was stunned when I told him the price difference and asked ‘what else does it do'. I couldn't answer him.

I did not test drive the car before buying it which in hindsight was foolish. I don’t know whether this would have changed my mind but I am now kicking myself I didn't do my homework better.

Surprised you did not test drive prior to purchase, a expensive mistake.

Lesson learnt.

Mine is ace - I love every pleasure filled mile in it :thumb:.

Quite a few ex m156 owners who now own m157 engined amgs are not over the moon with their newer cars.

There's only one reason you're now crying over spilled milk....... it hasn't been upgraded with a pulley and map ;)

Then you won't give a $hit about the display as you will be smiling at the speed of the white lines passing you by..........on a runway of course :)

when I told him the price difference and asked ‘what else does it do'. I couldn't answer him.

That seems to be a common complaint with '63 engined AMG cars. They are one trick ponies.

Surprised you did not test drive prior to purchase, a expensive mistake.

Lesson learnt.

I think I was of the first people to place an order for the facelift model back in February last year way before the Estate was in production. I could have waited though after it came out before placing an order!

I don't regret buying it - as in the title only 'slightly disappointed'. I guess what has made the issues more irritating was that I have just bought a Golf R. It has great intuitive technology and it is very clear what this car is all about.

Well, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought. . I know what you mean.

When I bought my E63 6 weeks ago, at first I was happy.. very soon, the doubt monster crept in. For one, it looks like a normal E class me thinks, and for the same reasons given above I was feeling that after spending this amount of money, it should look different too. When I came out into the Car park, it didn't stand out enough for my taste. (yeah, I am shallow lol) :p

So, (And I can't speak highly enough of the dealership), I went back to them and said, guys I am not really happy.. what can we do to help. So they agreed to buy the car back of me for the price I paid for it, and I walked of with a CL63 (Bi-Turbo) (same year as the E63).
Even the finance payment went down (higher end value).
This dealership has been immense in the years I have known them. :thumb:

First day I had it, someone followed me until I pulled into the Garage, and they leapt out "loving the car".. can't imagine that happening in my E63.

So, I think its all about the looks personally, not the actual drive or performance. To quote amddownes..... "when I told him the price difference and asked ‘what else does it do'. I couldn't answer him'.
I can now ... The car park is not full of CL63's.. :eek:

The M3 was always an in-your-face type of car (built for homologation ) with wide flared arches etc, but the original M5 of the 1980' was a real wolf in sheep's clothing. I believe this was the original intention behind the various Exx AMG cars over the years, hence the (relatively) mundane look. Not a bad thing in my book.

That the AMG marque is no longer unique or exclusive we know... it is due to MB's decision to capitalise on the brand name and to increase sales. Sadly with the demise of Bristol Cars there is less and less choice for the Gentleman who wants to drive something different. Exclusivity which is not based just on a higher price to weed out the plebs but also on a real off-the-beaten path choice. Of course, there's a 1/77, if you can get one...

Last edited:
...but the original M5 of the 1980' was a real wolf in sheep's clothing. I believe this was the original intention behind the various Exx AMG cars over the years, hence the (relatively) mundane look.
When I bought my E63 6 weeks ago, at first I was happy.. very soon, the doubt monster crept in. For one, it looks like a normal E class me thinks, and for the same reasons given above I was feeling that after spending this amount of money, it should look different too. When I came out into the Car park, it didn't stand out enough for my taste. (yeah, I am shallow lol) :p
Two very different viewpoints, equally valid.

Personally, I absolutely love the "stealth" nature of the E63 (the pre-facelift version, anyway), but I also understand the other viewpoint that says "I want something that looks different". For those who crave that, I think the ubiquity of the "AMG body styling" across the range makes that difficult to achieve.

Regarding DM's comment that some people feel that the AMG 63 cars a one trick pony, I have some sympathy with that viewpoint too. But what a trick :D

All I will add is that if the right options are added to the E63 it totally transforms the feeling of the interior, and really does set it apart from the rest of the range. True enough many of those options are available on the non-AMG models, but with the preference for leasing and the way that options disproportionally affect the lease rate, it's pretty rare to find those options specified.

Did you consider the cls when you bought the e63?
Not at the time I placed the order but during the wait (13 months) I did have a look at the CLS63 Shooting Brake. I got a fairly good deal on the E but couldn't get any where near the same on the CLS. From memory the base spec CLS63 was missing a few things I wanted that the E had as standard which bumped the price up even further.

It's Mercedes's specialty, taking technology that was out of date 10 years ago and integrating it into new vehicles, Parktronic, Command you name it it was out of date the first day it was fitted.

On the other hand its a damn fine built engine with a lot of grunt but the package around it is just not up there with the competition. I've spent some time in an M5 this week while been in Canada and whilst I would not buy one of those either its a better rounded package than the 63 but neither are in the same class as the Audi RS cars or the S8

Well, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought. . I know what you mean.

So, (And I can't speak highly enough of the dealership), I went back to them and said, guys I am not really happy.. what can we do to help. So they agreed to buy the car back of me for the price I paid for it, and I walked of with a CL63 (Bi-Turbo) (same year as the E63).
Even the finance payment went down (higher end value).
This dealership has been immense in the years I have known them. :thumb:

First day I had it, someone followed me until I pulled into the Garage, and they leapt out "loving the car".. can't imagine that happening in my E63.

So, I think its all about the looks personally, not the actual drive or performance. To quote amddownes..... "when I told him the price difference and asked ‘what else does it do'. I couldn't answer him'.
I can now ... The car park is not full of CL63's.. :eek:
Wow very impressive service from the dealer. The CL is a beautiful car. I needed an estate so not an option for me. I was in the E63 yesterday and in the outside line. The RS6 would part waves with vehicles swiftly moving out the way when they saw it in their rear view mirrors - just doesn't happen with the Merc.

I have to say I agree and disagree with some of what has been said. It's true that the car looks like 90% of all e classes but only a true petrol heads will know what's lurking beneath the bonnet.
If you wanted a car for shallow reasons then I don't think mercedes was the correct choice? Even the cl doesn't stand out compared to (pure example sake) a GTR, R8, Aston Martin vantage,lotus evora or even a 991 911.

I personally love my E. I have a few annoyances with it (piece of felt ontop of the panoglass to stop it vibrating) but in general my car gets a great reaction ie petrol stations, work place and all my petrol head friends love it.

The interior I find is more up market than the m5. The perceived quality is much higher ie softer plastics and nicer leather.
I also love the fact engine and exhaust noise is not piped through speakers. That's a major turn off for me and amg has stook to its guns.

I drive my wife's x6 quite regularly and my work car which is a skoda fabia vrs, so the E63 always feels special to me.
Just my 2 pence worth

-ho

Did you consider the cls when you bought the e63?

Being a somewhat largeesh bloke I simply can not sit in the rear of an CLS, and feel very uncomfortable at the driver's seat. The latter is also true for the SL. Both of which caused some unhappy sentiment when I apologised to two (unrelated) friends who have the AMG versions of these two cars for not being able to test drive them or even be driven as a passanger.

And yet I feel that the proportions of my C-Class are just about right, and even more so when driving the S350 and E240 of another friend.

It's all about head space, you see... the sloping roofs CLS and SL are not suited for everyone.

A 5-seat 4-door performance saloon actually makes a lot of sense to some people.

Parking sensors are a bit crap in mine but they aren't the way forward - camera systems are which is why parking sensors have not evolved and improved.

In our Juke, I can get much closer to things in the garage with the rear view camera than I can with the parking sensors on mine.

I think if you don't like an E63 for those reasons, you've missed the point.

I don't give a four-x about any of the faults with my car. The styling is barely different over a regular E of the same age and despite changing the wheels, I would not add all the diffusers and spoilers and go faster stripes because there is at least one very big good reason why you buy one!

If you want flash, as said buy an R8 or whale tail 911 etc. etc.

If you want technology, buy a Tardis.

If you want awesome performance, sublime ride quality, a smooth limo when you need it and the V8 orchestra - buy an E63!

:devil:

All I will add is that if the right options are added to the E63 it totally transforms the feeling of the interior, and really does set it apart from the rest of the range. True enough many of those options are available on the non-AMG models, but with the preference for leasing and the way that options disproportionally affect the lease rate, it's pretty rare to find those options specified.

I agree with this - a well specced E63 with nappa/alcantara trim, dynamic comfort massage seats, Harman Kardon etc. etc. is a very nice place to be. I've always thought the E gate (where the AMG/suspension/ESP/gearbox adjustments are) is a work of art.

In fact, there are significant differences between a standard 212 E and an 212 E63, but these are more "driver's car" than visual - they have a wider front track, with a unique steering rack, a modified (adjustable) gearbox with a compact wet clutch rather than a torque converter, and a different (adjustable) suspension/traction control set up.

However, I'd also like the external appearance to be a bit more macho, and have always though that RS Audi's got this part right. Incidentally, the area on an E63 where the 6.3 AMG or 5.5 bi turbo wing badges go is also different to cater for the wider track - it's not much, but it's there.

I've been to a gtg at IWM Duxford today, some 5 hours of driving - where benefit of the above spec comes into play, and combined with that engine/sound, it's been an absolute pleasure :thumb:.

Last edited:
That seems to be a common complaint with '63 engined AMG cars. They are one trick ponies.

Really. And you are speaking from experience? My coupe manages to be a nice daily driver, is great for covering large mileages and happens to be quite quick when I want to press on. So not really a one trick pony.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom