E63 suspension issue..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonboyE63

Car
2012 E63 Wagon
I kept getting the airmatic fault warning coming up on my dash so have had both rear level sensors replaced & the fault has cleared - however the car is not sitting as low as it did before the rear level sensors were replaced.
I've been back to the garage & they're reset the level but it still looks to high...more soft roader & less AMG low rider....
Anyone else experienced the same thing or has anyone got any pointers..??
First photo was before new level sensors & the second is how it looks today....:oops:
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• wheels 2.jpg
    wheels 2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 13
  • rear wheel - soft roader.jpg
    rear wheel - soft roader.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 13
Maybe its now sitting at the correct hight.
Instead of fitting fixed length units, you can get adjustable.
I got some nice stainless steel ones sitting in my parts pile. Not that i want to lower the car. I just want them available for when the originals seize up. That day might be soon.

Maybe its now sitting at the correct hight.
Instead of fitting fixed length units, you can get adjustable.
I got some nice stainless steel ones sitting in my parts pile. Not that i want to lower the car. I just want them available for when the originals seize up. That day might be soon.
You know what....i've been thinking the same thing....maybe the rear level sensors were stuffed & had been giving the incorrect reading & sitting to low...
It certainly drives & handles perfectly ok so maybe i'll give it some time before going back to get it checked again.

Now I've bothered to look at the photos, it does seem rather high.
My W221 has air struts all round and has a switch for high, which raises the car about 1 inch.
Is that a feature on yours? Could it be on high but the indicator light is broken?

wrong level sensors, did they also replace the arm? the arm may be incorrect length which does to the level sensor.

Now I've bothered to look at the photos, it does seem rather high.
My W221 has air struts all round and has a switch for high, which raises the car about 1 inch.
Is that a feature on yours? Could it be on high but the indicator light is broken?
No function on the car to lower or raise the height - only the 3 airmatic settings for comfort/sport/sport+

wrong level sensors, did they also replace the arm? the arm may be incorrect length which does to the level sensor.
That's my bet too. The "after" photo shows the ride height far too high.

They didn't do the arms - only the sensors & i'm waiting for the garage to get back to me - i'm inclined to agree that they've fitted incorrect level sensors.

When working on the A8's air suspension in VCDS, you let it settle itself into a calibration position, measured the wheelarch-floor distance and then told the car what that distance was. It then worked out the offset and adjusted itself to the correct level.

I'm not familiar with STAR, but I would have expected something similar in terms of calibration process? Of course if it's totally wrong and expects a different leverage ratio from the arm then all bets are off.

So the parts manager called me back & confirmed 100% that he ordered the correct parts from Mercedes - not what i was expecting to hear.
He asked me t leave it with him until early next week & they'll take advise etc.
I politely requested they get it sorted or i'll take somewhere else to get a second opinion.
Fingers crossed it'll get sorted as it's more G wagon rather than E63 at the moment

The E63 went back in to StarTech to sort the level problem - they had it for two days & completely reset the airmatic system & all appears to be now correct - it's sitting correctly & not dropping. They said the rear sensors were giving completely different readings.
Fingers crossed it's all ok - time will tell but i'm hopefull.
Thanks for all your imput & advise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom