E63 vs C63 cold start exhaust.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MACC

Car
2014 E63 Saloon
Whilst I have the C63 and E63 together I am hoping to take the opportunity of a few comparison videos. First off is the exhaust cold start for anyone who's interested!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfUx_DNK8Kw

A little more finesse is needed with the camera.

Slightly Confusing as to which was started first.
If not for the puff of condensed air from the C63, it would have been total misleading for those who arent used to C63 cold start sound.

Title was C63 v E63 but video filmed E63 to C63 in order. Plus could onli see person going to C63. Kinda threw me off.

Just my opinion.

But overall good comparison.

sirius9 said:
Slightly Confusing as to which was started first. If not for the puff of condensed air from the C63, it would have been total misleading for those who arent used to C63 cold start sound. Title was C63 v E63 but video filmed E63 to C63 in order. Plus could onli see person going to C63. Kinda threw me off. Just my opinion. But overall good comparison.

Was about to write how I understood it until the C63 was started, I thought that was started first but it was the E63

Never heard an E63 on cold start but the second the C63 started I knew what it was, very thrown off!

Slightly Confusing as to which was started first.
If not for the puff of condensed air from the C63, it would have been total misleading for those who arent used to C63 cold start sound.

Amended the title, thanks for the feedback, although reassuring to see a complete lack of smoke on start up.

Nice comparison

A good few months ago now I had the "pleasure" of a C63 as a courtesy car. It happened to belong to Acid from MSL and was a Weistec Stage 3 modified one with a substantial amount more horses than it started life with.

The ride home was interesting though I didn't really get much chance to use it due to the traffic unfortunately. I do remember it being very loud and an extremely harsh ride though, due to the suspension he had fitted.

Anyway, I'm digressing. I put the C63 in my garage overnight and left it there till the morning when I went to start it. OK, it was loud, but probably not as loud as my M157 when that starts in the same place. Both cars had similar exhaust systems, his having headers, mine 3" downpipes from the turbo back. Neither car had cats or resonators.

I think with the M157, the cold start has more effect as the turbos are by-passed to heat the cats, with the car initially starting at around 1,400RPM before it decides a certain temperature has been set. Missing the turbos out obviously removes their silencing power so the noise is more pronounced.

This is my theory and, though it may be totally wrong, there's no denying the fact that mine is very loud when starting from cold, as a few on here can testify. :)

Developer John posted something technical about how the cold start worked on the M157 but I can't find it and too tired to look now, but it was basically similar to my theory.

A good few months ago now I had the "pleasure" of a C63 as a courtesy car. It happened to belong to Acid from MSL and was a Weistec Stage 3 modified one with a substantial amount more horses than it started life with.

The ride home was interesting though I didn't really get much chance to use it due to the traffic unfortunately. I do remember it being very loud and an extremely harsh ride though, due to the suspension he had fitted.

Anyway, I'm digressing. I put the C63 in my garage overnight and left it there till the morning when I went to start it. OK, it was loud, but probably not as loud as my M157 when that starts in the same place. Both cars had similar exhaust systems, his having headers, mine 3" downpipes from the turbo back. Neither car had cats or resonators.

I think with the M157, the cold start has more effect as the turbos are by-passed to heat the cats, with the car initially starting at around 1,400RPM before it decides a certain temperature has been set. Missing the turbos out obviously removes their silencing power so the noise is more pronounced.

This is my theory and, though it may be totally wrong, there's no denying the fact that mine is very loud when starting from cold, as a few on here can testify. :)

Developer John posted something technical about how the cold start worked on the M157 but I can't find it and too tired to look now, but it was basically similar to my theory.
You're right. The turbos are bypassed to throw some initial heat into the cats. It's nice and loud for 10/15 secs.

E63 a lot louder on cold start alright, presume that's a standard car also?

You're right. The turbos are bypassed to throw some initial heat into the cats. It's nice and loud for 10/15 secs.

Minor point but do you wait until the bypass stops and the revs drop before setting off or not? I'm tending to wait and enjoy the noise- not sure my neighbours are appreciating it as much though :rolleyes:

Minor point but do you wait until the bypass stops and the revs drop before setting off or not?

Theoretically yes, though it's a bit time dependant for me. It takes around 20 - 30 seconds on the current map, which is OK mid afternoon though not so good on a morning, especially a Sunday, at around 06.00. :)

I'm tending to wait and enjoy the noise- not sure my neighbours are appreciating it as much though :rolleyes:

Which is why I just slam it into gear and try to creep out of the garage on early starts. Another minor problem I have is that it needs a bit of revving to get it over the ramp in the garage which, combined with a bit of tyre squeal, can also be frustrating/embarrassing.

Theoretically yes, though it's a bit time dependant for me. It takes around 20 - 30 seconds on the current map, which is OK mid afternoon though not so good on a morning, especially a Sunday, at around 06.00. :)

Which is why I just slam it into gear and try to creep out of the garage on early starts. Another minor problem I have is that it needs a bit of revving to get it over the ramp in the garage which, combined with a bit of tyre squeal, can also be frustrating/embarrassing.

Hmmm or maybe the need for some revs to get over this ramp is a figment of your imagination, I'm sure you never smile as you exit your garage with a tiny bit of tyre squeal.... ;)

Yep. Luckily the valves kick in on mine after about 3-4 seconds which makes it quieter than stock (neighbours still hate it), If I start it early it's straight into gear and creep it out and let it rest for a little down the road and then below 2k in comfort until it warms up.

Cold start with the valves open is mental, props to those who can live with it that loud all the time (and not get lynched by neighbours): https://www.instagram.com/p/BBGCfs5tGtt/

See , I told you. From stock, my E63 defo sounds better than the C63 I had last year on cold start. I would even say that once both cars are warm, the E still sounds better from inside the car than the C did. This is why I will probably leave it alone.

Regarding the E cold start, yes I leave mine ticking over loudly until temp is reached before moving away, balls to my neighbour as he does the same with his W12 Bentley !

Eh am I missing something here? The C is on the right with the oval pipes? its a lot louder and nicer than the E.

To me what counts, is, the sound from the inside...after all, this is where we drive the car from. My C63 was defo louder from the OUTSIDE, which was to the benefit (or not) of the pedestrians that heard me.

From sat in the drivers seat, cold start, or on the run, the E sounds much nicer than the C ...end of. From the outside, probably not a lot in it.

Inside the E , low revs, or off the gas, nice and quiet. Rev it, and it sounds awesome ! this is on standard pipes and map.

The C was similar, but on standard pipes, did not sound as aggressive, but really woke up with the Miltek fitted.

To me , it`s not how `loud `it is, its the tone and the quality of the V8 soundtrack, and the way it pops and crackles on gear changes up and down the box, and for this reason alone, the E wins hands down....having owned both, I am qualified to offer my opinion...

:D:D:D

Outside in the real world c63 is by far the better sounding car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom