E63 W211. Information needed....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSTurbo50

Car
W212 E250 CDi AMG Sport
A new car will be on the horizon in July. One of the options I am considering is the E63 for circa £15k..

What running costs can I expect? Obviously MPG is rubbish. How about brakes and pads all round, tyres, suspension bits?

How much does the servicing cost? What things go wrong on these?

Any information will be appreciated..

There is the very serious issue surrounding head bolt failure on the M156 engine. Check that the engine serial number is 60658 or later then it should be unaffected. Or ask for proof the headbolts have been replaced- correctly

I think front brakes are choice although they've probably got cheaper on that vintage now.

There is the very serious issue surrounding head bolt failure on the M156 engine. Check that the engine serial number is 60658 or later then it should be unaffected. Or ask for proof the headbolts have been replaced- correctly

I never knew this. Does it affect the earlier models?

Is the better option to go for the E55/CLS55??

I would expect £15K to put you in the affected range, though actual failures are rare, relative to the numbers sold.

As developer says, the percentage of affected engines will be very small. It's well documented on the Internet, but it's mostly posts worrying about it rather than suffering from it.

If another repair presents an opportunity to replace the bolts at the same time, then do it as a prevention measure.

I really wouldn't worry too much, and enjoy the car. It's a legendary engine, one of the vey best of all time :thumb:

I would expect £15K to put you in the affected range, though actual failures are rare, relative to the numbers sold.

I was trying to find a thread we had over on the other side, one of the guys had done the the calculations against reported failures and IIRC it came out less than 2%? Still better if you can find one where its demonstrated to have been sorted I guess...

I was trying to find a thread we had over on the other side, one of the guys had done the the calculations against reported failures and IIRC it came out less than 2%? Still better if you can find one where its demonstrated to have been sorted I guess...

Would be interested in seeing the calculation for that, does MB Tier 1 still pay out on cars over 100k miles?

Is it worth paying the extra over an E55?

I've read different opinions on this, and have only driven a 55 once, so I'm not best qualified to say, but imho the 63 is streets ahead.

Just my opinion, others are available.

I've read different opinions on this, and have only driven a 55 once, so I'm not best qualified to say, but imho the 63 is streets ahead.

Just my opinion, others are available.

Your car in the affected range?

Is it worth paying the extra over an E55?

It's a no brainer.

Both the 63 and 55k engines are great, no argument there and both models have their fanboys.

For each model, the pro's and cons I have noticed.

E55 Pro's
Low down torque can't be matched by the 63, In a straight line to the legal limit, the 55 is quicker. Doesn't need expensive front discs. Cheaper road fund at £295pa v £490. Much cheaper to modify if you want more power.

Cons. SBC pump could fail leaving a £800+ bill. Heat soak is an issue when tuning and extra cooling will possibly be needed. The E63 is an updated version of the E55 and is fresher inside the cabin. Thirstier than the E63.

E63 Pro's
Sounds much nicer, nobody can deny that. No SBC and updated cabin,slightly better fuel consumption.

Cons. That head bolt issue can't be ignored if your engine falls in the affected number, despite the low number of failures. Front brakes much dearer along with road fund licence. Very expensive to modify over 520/530 bhp.The E63 doesn't come into life until there are a lot of revs applied, unlike the E55.

I'd argue its a no brainer to spend a few grand more for a car that is no better when it comes to acceleration and even top speed, dependant on how far you are willing to spend. Compare the torque figures of both engines. The 55k wins hands down.

You need to drive both cars and make your choice. I did, and chose the E55 and have never once regretted it. The 63 engine is best in the C63 or the early prefacelift W212 IMO.

Whichever you decide on, you'll have a very nice, quick 5 seater that still turns heads 14 years after being introduced:thumb:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
If 4 seats are sufficient, great choice. The W219 is a classic.

Not as good as the e55 though let's be honest :thumb:

E63 or E55? As suggested, drive both. Both are fantastic cars, with fantastic engines. You'll prefer one more than the other, go for that one, you'll love it. But you wouldn't be disappointed with either :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom