E63 wagon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jukie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MY11 E350 CDi Avantgarde
High miles, reflected in the price, I guess. Only one MOT failure (May 16) for wiper blades, headlamps and front tyres (exposed ply.cords). Bulk of mileage done between June 13 & January 18 - 96k. No mention of head bolts.

E63 wagon at Harlow

For 5+ owners it looks to be in decent nick for one with high mileage

For 5+ owners it looks to be in decent nick for one with high mileage

Pity it's 250 miles away from me. I don't think I'm brave enough to buy it blind!!

Nice saw that a few days ago, looks tidy with a nice rare colour combo.

It’s on the 18” wheels, the forged 19s look great but they’re a harsh ride.

Would make a great usable car for someone at this money :thumb:

Looks good to me as well but must be over 500 miles away

Very reasonably priced and looks a good buy for someone who wants a fast wagon.

It’s on the 18” wheels, the forged 19s look great but they’re a harsh ride.

Would make a great usable car for someone at this money :thumb:

Interesting - the ad says it's on 19s. I'll bow to your superior knowledge, Will. I don't know the wheels at all so couldn't say myself just by looking.

Interesting - the ad says it's on 19s. I'll bow to your superior knowledge, Will. I don't know the wheels at all so couldn't say myself just by looking.
The Auto Trader advert has information pre-filled from manufacturer’s standard spec.

I owned an early S212 E63, and those are definitely 18” wheels:

710D3AA1-EFE8-4C09-9E95-AF09D477CA3C.jpeg3E07D86F-2ACD-494A-B5B7-A6B1D0C67929.jpeg72B8FC5C-139F-4223-9BC2-3F3753C67BA6.jpeg

I bought them to use whilst I had the original 19” forged wheels refurbished (incidentally, these standard 19s are high quality wheels and cost c. £5.5k a set new)

44E94DBE-E96E-4E51-B485-A97B8345793F.jpeg

This is the wheel options (bottom two) for the early 212 E63:

6B20A828-B46A-4FFA-B43D-CD08461C37D6.png

If anyone needs a copy of the original pdf, drop me a PM and I’ll email it over :thumb:

Reasonable priced for the mileage and looks in great condition, non run flat tyres improve the ride on the 19" wheels. Would make a great buy at the price.

Good find.

Reasonable priced for the mileage and looks in great condition, non run flat tyres improve the ride on the 19" wheels. Would make a great buy at the price.

Good find.
I had two different sets of tyres on the 19s on mine, neither were run flats (l fitted a set of MO Continentals) but the 30/35 profile and steel spring setup up front meant that on anything other than smooth roads it was a very harsh ride. I found the seats uncomfortable on long journeys too.

Okay when pressing on, but not ideal on typical speed hump/potholed/general UK roads.

The 18s did make a marked improvement, although I had MO Dunlop Winters on those wheels.

It’s an E-class, so ride comfort should be reasonable even in an AMG IMHO :thumb:

I had two different sets of tyres on the 19s on mine, neither were run flats (l fitted a set of MO Continentals) but the 30/35 profile and steel spring setup up front meant that on anything other than smooth roads it was a very harsh ride. I found the seats uncomfortable on long journeys too.

Okay when pressing on, but not ideal on typical speed hump/potholed/general UK roads.

The 18s did make a marked improvement, although I had MO Dunlop Winters on those wheels.

It’s an E-class, so ride comfort should be reasonable even in an AMG IMHO :thumb:

I find the seats amazingly comfortable been on a good few long journeys now and it's been a hoot on long journeys.

The ride is definitely transformed with non run flats in my experiences especially coming from run flats.

Maybe the estate is harsher than that of the saloon. For me the ride is fine. I have 18" and 19" the ride is really comfortable.

The seats are the best seats I've had the pleasure of sitting in, on a long journey.

I wouldn't say it's w211 ride quality E55 magic carpet but it's not far away. The other side of the coin is that the w212 is way more capable in the corners and driver feel. The car shrinks around you compared to the wafty feel of the w211.

Reading about all the E class models from the w211 they all seemed to give a more sportier/harsher ride than that of the w211.

Last edited:
High miles, reflected in the price, I guess. Only one MOT failure (May 16) for wiper blades, headlamps and front tyres (exposed ply.cords). Bulk of mileage done between June 13 & January 18 - 96k. No mention of head bolts.

E63 wagon at Harlow
I really like that. I do like brown-ish cars but Mrs D has made it very clear that there will be consequences if I ever bring one home 😳

I find the seats amazingly comfortable been on a good few long journeys now and it's been a hoot on long journeys.

The ride is definitely transformed with non run flats in my experiences especially coming from run flats.

Maybe the estate is harsher than that of the saloon. For me the ride is fine. I have 18" and 19" the ride is really comfortable.

The seats are the best seats I've had the pleasure of sitting in, on a long journey.

I wouldn't say it's w211 ride quality E55 magic carpet but it's not far away. The other side of the coin is that the w212 is way more capable in the corners and driver feel. The car shrinks around you compared to the wafty feel of the w211.

Reading about all the E class models from the w211 they all seemed to give a more sportier/harsher ride than that of the w211.
I don’t think the E63 came with run flats? They have a spare wheel - mine did anyway.

It definitely rode better with the 18s though :)

Yes it corners a lot better than the 211, but the ride comfort is the trade off. Full airmatic and 18” wheels versus half air/half steel springs and 19s - and no doubt firmed up a bit in other ways - you can’t defy the laws of physics I guess :cool:

Seats maybe a personal thing but they are just too flat and unsupportive for my liking. I had the top of the range heated/electric/memory/ventilated/dynamic/multi contour ones with all the bells and whistles, and they were fresh as they come with just 11k miles on them, but I just found them uncomfortable to the point I would end up wriggling around with discomfort in the lower back after 2/3 hours - something I’ve not had in any other car I can remember. On shorter journeys it wasn’t a problem.

B5D4AFC5-6DA4-4776-B44B-7034DD459F43.jpeg

I must have owned about twenty different Mercedes cars and can’t say I’ve noticed it in any other one of those. The E63 ones were just too flat I think. For certain the E55 ones were more comfy - I owned both cars simultaneously for over a year. I drove one of my E55s across to Paris and never had any issues, and likewise I took both cars on long UK trips - never could get properly comfortable in my E63, and that was even running the 18s. E55 was like an armchair by comparison.

Other than that, IMHO the E63 is/was a great car, I really liked mine - and only sold it as I needed more space :thumb:

If there are no surprises lurking - certainly looks clean enough - should be a good buy for that sort of money especially with it having a rare colour combination as opposed to the proverbial black/white/silver ones for sale.

I test drove a facelift E63 this week and forgot that the seats are off-centre which makes it a struggle to feel comfy and also the door card is arm rest is too low to rest your elbow on but other than that, really liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom