E63 Winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim W

Car
2018 E63s Hyacinth Red, 2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Harley Davidson Super Glide
I am pleased with my new E63s and I like the 4 wheel drive. But last winter I discovered the hard summer tyres are hopeless in cold weather. The noise of the tyres skipping and clonking in the front end was horrendous and loud enough to need explaining what was happening to my passengers.

So I took the decision to fit winter tyres in readiness for the cold weather ahead. 'Always best to have a spare set of wheels with winter tyres fitted, - a lot less grief than switching tyres on the rims twice a year. So I looked around for a cheap set of wheels. It didn't take me long to realise that cheap wheels look cheap and have no place on an E63s AMG. So I put my hand deep in my pocket and bought this lovely set of Brabus Monobloc R wheels and MICHELIN Pilot Alpin PA4 front & rear: 275/35R20 99W XL from Alloy Wheels Direct. Definitely not cheap, but looking good!

Last edited:
I have done the same sort of thing with my C63 W204. A new set of wheels bought from Kunzmann in Germany with winter tyres. Should make Nov-April way more enjoyable in a near 500 bhp rear wheel drive estate.

Looking wonderful Jim. Is that an Airstream hiding in the bushes?

Lovely car. Lovely wheels. Lovely caravan. Without going too far off topic, what do you tow it with?

Awesome car [emoji108] I never realised Bentley wheels fit on MB. I also got new set of rear tyres in preparation for winter. Michelin PS4S. Seems like a good call too, it's +23C here in London in October [emoji2957]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Awesome car [emoji108] I never realised Bentley wheels fit on MB. I also got new set of rear tyres in preparation for winter. Michelin PS4S. Seems like a good call too, it's +23C here in London in October [emoji2957]

The B is for Brabus, not Bentley.
Very nice wheels.
I'd cry if I kerbed alloys that were £7.5k to buy without tyres.

I wouldn't be able tell the difference.

If I'm perfectly honest the wheels are passable as winter set. Otherwise they are not Brabuses beat hour. They strongly remind me of BMW SE wheels

Lovely car. Lovely wheels. Lovely caravan. Without going too far off topic, what do you tow it with?

The caravan’s not mine, I took the pics at a friends house - he tows it with a Land Rover Discovery.

Lovely wheels sir!
There's no way I'd take them through a winter - not up here in the Highlands anyway. The aggregate they put on the ice up here eats alloys for breakfast!
Nope, plain old steelies will be adorning my Merc as soon as they start spreading.
Alloys will be hibernating ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20181016_064905.jpg
    IMG_20181016_064905.jpg
    884.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Whatever wheels you choose there is no doubt about it, the w213 E63 4Matic needs winter tyres from November to March.

£ 85,000.00 for a Caravan :(

let me know how the PA4s work out for you. mine will take a month to arrive which suits me fine as I'm in Surrey UK. I'll think about what to do about rims in the meantime. I'm not paying £4k plus for official rims though lol

If you are looking for reasonably priced OEM AMG wheels for winter tyres look at Kunzmann.de. Very fairly priced and delivered within four days to the UK.

If you are looking for reasonably priced OEM AMG wheels for winter tyres look at Kunzmann.de. Very fairly priced and delivered within four days to the UK.

Thanks , that's two endorsements for kunzmann , I'll definitely look them up ! cheers

Are yours 16's? I've checked their website and my search is only returning wheel and winter tyre sets for 16" wheels :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom