E63S 4matic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V8andTurbos

Car
MK5 Golf GTI + C63 AMG
Been offered a 2017 E63S with buckets, premium pack and carbon interior for a good price ( seems to be cheapest on the market ).

My question is how fast will these depreciate? The one I’m looking at is mid 60’s and it’s a car I’ve been looking at for a while - seems to tick all the boxes and while not being the best looking from the outside, the interior is another level.

I’ll be purchasing the car outright and my only worry is massive depreciation and maybe the novelty wearing off.. is there a facelift planned soon? Anyone owned one and give some advice?

Daveenty is the man to speak to. He has had his W213 E63s for about a year and is best equipped to help with info.
From what I have seen, all W212 and 213 E63's suffer large depreciation in the first 3 years or so in particular.

Although I’ve never seen one at mid 60s so you’ve already taken out a chunk of depreciation right there!
We haven’t got to 3 years with these yet so hard to know how they will depreciate accurately
If I saw one mid 60s and well kitted I’d have it

Maybe he’ll pitch in, I’ll keep it 6 months / 1 year max. Just fancy getting one while their still new and in warranty...

Second time I’ve seen one this cheap, on the mb configuration base price of an S is around £95,000 without any options ticked. This one has the main goodies apart from 21” wheels...

I'd be surprised if it wasn't around £5k depreciation in the first year

I'd be well happy if that was all it lost, mine (ex demo) has lost more than £30k from list. :D

Mid 60s seems about right for trade, been offered similar for mine, but they should still be retailing at around the £70k mark for a 12 month old car. I think they'll level out around there for a car up to 2 years old but then I'm not sure as production was held back a bit due to a shortage of various parts so there are probably less around than there should be, which could be a good thing or me at least. I'd also be very wary of buying one from outside the dealer network as there are so many potential things to go wrong on them, so a manufacturers warranty and full history would be essential to me. I'm aware that the dealer warranty should last for 3 years irrespective of where the car came from but I'd still be careful...

Oh, WBAC offered £48k for mine (2017 with 8,000 miles on it). I declined their offer. :)

I've spoken to the OP via PM by the way.

Given that new cars lose about 50% in the first 3 years and the price of a new E63S is around £100k, I'd anticipate a further drop of at least £15k in 1 year of ownership. Then you have the hassle of selling an expensive private owned vehicle (as opposed to a garage/main dealer owned and available for part-ex and lease).

Buying it for cash and keeping it a year doesn't make a lot of economic sense. Rent one?

Oh, WBAC offered £48k for mine (2017 with 8,000 miles on it). I declined their offer. :)

Testing waters Dave? Knowing you (just a little), if you start the process you usually finish it. C'mon, what's next?

Testing waters Dave? Knowing you (just a little), if you start the process you usually finish it. C'mon, what's next?

Not really Alex, just genuine curiosity. A mutual friend in Birmingham offered a lot more than that but I then have the problem in replacing it with something suitable. The only thing which would possibly appeal would be the S63 Coupe but it would have to be the M177 powered one. As they're still thin on the ground though, it will have to wait. I'll get another couple of years out of this white one yet, possibly with a bit of adjustment to the ECU if it eventually decides to settle down and behave itself. :)

Buying it for cash and keeping it a year doesn't make a lot of economic sense. Rent one?

See the above though, unlike another mutual friend, I'm no economic genius. ;)

I’d rather but it for a reasonable price than lease it etc ( personal preference ). MB warranty would run until 2020 so any manufacture faults Should be sorted by them.. still in 2 minds but I’ll keep this thread updated if i do Purcahse ..

Hi Daveenty,

this is my first post here. Just bought my first mercedes (an ex-demo W213 E63 S). Have you driven yours on the autobahn? In the manual it says one needs to increase tyre pressure for high speeds. I don't think I had to do that with the nissan GT-R and was wondering if anyone has experience of this car on the autobahn. Presumably the thing to do would be to keep the display of oil , transmission and tyre temperatures on just in case?

Thanks,

Andrew

Would think another £12K and then probably £6K on the way to the big services!

Can't imagine any facelifts until at least 3+ years old

Being on my second example of the previous generation E63 I can say that aiming to own one outright for less than two years is financial suicide, whatever the ingoing price.

Depreciation on these cars is massive in the first 3-4 years and there’s a big margin twixt trade and retail prices. My guess is that aiming to get out of a £60k example after 12 months will cost £12 - £15k.

As for the second part of the question: no, you won’t get bored with it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Daveenty,

this is my first post here. Just bought my first mercedes (an ex-demo W213 E63 S). Have you driven yours on the autobahn? In the manual it says one needs to increase tyre pressure for high speeds. I don't think I had to do that with the nissan GT-R and was wondering if anyone has experience of this car on the autobahn. Presumably the thing to do would be to keep the display of oil , transmission and tyre temperatures on just in case?

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew, and welcome.

For sustained very high speeds you should raise the tyre pressures. MB specify lower pressures for “normal” speeds as it improves ride comfort, but that causes the tyres to run hotter hence the higher pressure required for sustained high speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at Autotrader it looks like the W212 has firmed up quite a bit in price for examples with less than 30,000miles.....

Certainly almost exact same or even slightly more than what I paid for mine a year ago!

Last edited:
Hi Daveenty,

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew, and welcome to the forum.

Never driven it on an autobahn as I never seem to do anything abroad nowadays. In fact I've not really done much with it due to time, or the lack of it. Most manufacturers recommend increasing tyre pressures for sustained high speed driving though personally, unless the car was fully loaded with people and luggage, it's not something I tend to do. I actually keep the pressures at around 45psi front, 38 rear which seems to suit what I do with the car.

The only time I ever increased them was in my previous car for high speed runs, though it didn't really make a lot of difference to me.

As you suggest, keeping a watchful eye on temps is not a bad thing, and something I do regularly, especially since I fitted proper grills over the front inlets...

I ran mine to 200mph recently and oil temp was 104 and water 93, they tend to creep higher with shorter but numerous quick blasts of acceleration, can go up to around 115 (oil).

Thank you Dave, Phil and cyclone. I think one advantage the E63 S has over the nissan for fluid temperatures in sustained autobahn driving is that the gearing is so long. The GT-R's top speed is where it gets to max revs in top gear but that would never happen in the AMG as it would need to be doing over 300 mph to reach the rev limiter in 9th gear!

I'm thinking of getting some grills to protect the radiators and also hoping to improve on general corrosion protection as I hope to keep the car for more than 25 years if I live long enough. A friend of mine has a lovely 1980s S class which will have to be retired now finally due to corrosion although the engine is still like new after over 300,000 miles. I do wonder though with all the modern electronics how much will go wrong with age. Now everything is digital, what happens if the display stops working?

Been offered a 2017 E63S with buckets, premium pack and carbon interior for a good price ( seems to be cheapest on the market ).

My question is how fast will these depreciate? The one I’m looking at is mid 60’s and it’s a car I’ve been looking at for a while - seems to tick all the boxes and while not being the best looking from the outside, the interior is another level.

I’ll be purchasing the car outright and my only worry is massive depreciation and maybe the novelty wearing off.. is there a facelift planned soon? Anyone owned one and give some advice?

I can only give you sn example based on a 2012 plate E63s AMG which was £100k new and i bought with 68k on the clock for £28k in 2016, owned by an accountancy firm and full merc service record in great condition. So thats £18k a year depreciation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom