E63S, when did OPF filters mute the sound?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dogbash

Car
C63 AMG
Just checking on this, been looking for an E63S for a while and want the best exhaust sound. I heard the OPF filters mutes the exhaust sound somewhat. I think that is 19 plate onwards? I'm looking at a car that is 68 plate. Its got the facelifted steering wheel, not sure about OPF filter though?

Thanks

Also, another question... I've sat in a car with performance seats and didn't like them. The one I'm looking at has the comfort seats which I'd want. I am fairly tall at 6'3". I read somewhere comfort seats sit quite high, am I going to have sufficient headroom and visibility? Car I'm looking at is a long way from me so popping in for a look not an option.

The OPF (option code 598) was introduced in the E63S in the model year 2019 (option code 809). It's best to look for these codes in the vehicles data card.

Also, another question... I've sat in a car with performance seats and didn't like them. The one I'm looking at has the comfort seats which I'd want. I am fairly tall at 6'3". I read somewhere comfort seats sit quite high, am I going to have sufficient headroom and visibility? Car I'm looking at is a long way from me so popping in for a look not an option.
Personally I’d try a car with comfort seats - not liking the performance seats doesn’t mean you’ll definitely like the comfort seats, even if headroom is not an issue.

I think you’ll fit fine by the way. I prefer comfort seats - performance seats look nice and so are great for little-used cars, but for me they’re not as comfortable.

809 is the model year but no mention of 598 in the list? Thanks

The 598 is definitely an OPF and every model year 809 should have it.

I guess certain codes related to the technical aspects might not be shown on the sales spec because this is not something you can choose. The car simply comes with it from the factory. Any dealer or anyone with access to parts/workshop systems can provide you the spec sheet. Is this what you are looking at ?

I’m looking at spec sheet and 598 not on there but 809 model year is. Date of reg is 16/11/18.

cheers

You will definitely fit I'd say, I'm about 5'11 and there's a ton of room above me still.
OPF question, haven't got a clue sorry.
Just make sure it's got the performance exhaust though. Another must for me is the 360 camera, my drive is pretty narrow just, and the camera is a big plus.

Another reason to avoid the performance seats is in the UK you can't specify any of the driver assistance aids/pack with performance seats. The comfort seats have active bolsters and can be set up infinitely, and they also can be adjusted really low. The driving position is the same, the performance seat is just tighter and more rigid upright and due to the fixed back portion can't be adjusted up as much.

Personally I think Performance seats are too firm for such a big car, I didnt buy the edition 1 GT model because of them. GT and large saloon cars should be forgiving, the performance seats are not.

Another reason to avoid the performance seats is in the UK you can't specify any of the driver assistance aids/pack with performance seats.
Do you know if that's the same on the C63? Personally, I hate all that assistance stuff so if it helps me avoid it when I come to buying the next generation of car it's a bonus for me.

Do you know if that's the same on the C63? Personally, I hate all that assistance stuff so if it helps me avoid it when I come to buying the next generation of car it's a bonus for me.
Yes, same with the C63 and C43 before the facelift. Facelifted S model cars come as standard with performance seats and can be optioned with the assistance pack, or have coloured seat belts and performance seats deleted. None S has the performance seats as an option with comfort seats as standard it appears, but none S was discontinued 12 months ago. Seems to be an RHD thing.

The driver aids are not that intrusive, you can switch it off but its an expensive pack on the C class and not many of them have it. I specced it for the estate I was going to buy 18 months ago and the buyer who took the allocation deleted it.

Well, I've bought the car so hoping it will be OK. Arriving late next week, cant wait!

I’m looking at spec sheet and 598 not on there but 809 model year is. Date of reg is 16/11/18.

cheers

That's strange, but if there is no 598 there is no OPF . Maybe some early MY19 don't have one then...

I am 6’ and got the comfort seats. The seats go down extremely low and I got massive amounts of room. All the way down I can’t actually see the bonnet lol

I have just discovered the car does have the 598 option code. It was right at the bottom of the spec sheet (not in numeric order like the rest). How much difference does this make vs pre OPF? I know the brand new 2020 models are even worse with the latest OPF but is there much difference between 2018 non OPF and 2019 OPF? Anyone heard both and can compare?

I have just discovered the car does have the 598 option code. It was right at the bottom of the spec sheet (not in numeric order like the rest). How much difference does this make vs pre OPF? I know the brand new 2020 models are even worse with the latest OPF but is there much difference between 2018 non OPF and 2019 OPF? Anyone heard both and can compare?
I don't know the answer on pre/post filter, my own car has option 598, but crucially it has the AMG performance exhaust.
Does this car you've purchased have the AMG performance exhaust?

Yes it has the exhaust. Believe it was standard as 0.00 cost option on spec sheet. I’ve looked at the pics and it defo has the button for it too.

Pre-OPF definitely sounds louder and “sharper” compared to an OPF car. Cars with OPF still sound great, just a little quieter and “softer” sounding

Yes it has the exhaust. Believe it was standard as 0.00 cost option on spec sheet. I’ve looked at the pics and it defo has the button for it too.
Well in that case it'll sound just fine, especially in sport +
In comfort it can sound a bit quiet inside the cabin, even with exhaust on, but get someone to start it when you're standing at the rear and you'll hear full well.
Get them to do an AMG emotion start while you're still there. In the MY2019 cars it's start it up in sport +

Thanks for the replies, does the opf sap any power?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom