E90 330i

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gchild

Car
C280 Sport
Any members own or have experience of these?

Seen an add for a m sport auto. What are they like running costs wise, performance and practicality?

Cheers

They'll be pretty hard-riding on run-flats but fine on ordinary tyres. Quite a quick car and a great engine

Nick Froome

The earlier car (pre MY2008 I think?) was pretty much bullet proof.
Probably the sweetest non M 3 series available.

Most owners get around 25-30mpg average.
23 at worst and 35 for some.

The 330i with the direct injection engine and 272bhp is also a gem but some have said issues with injectors, well two guys on the net who bang on and on about it, even though it was sorted under warranty and no issues since.

That gets truly stunning figures. I had one for 2 days and it did 498 miles on a tank and 38mpg and that was not trying to be careful at all.

They both are silky smooth, quiet when cruising, sound lovely when they start to rev and they do rev nicely, from 4500rpm to 6500rpm they feel so light and nimble, a very nice car.

Run flats ruin it, but on regular tyres they are very comfy and almost a perfect car.

Interior is looking a bit dated I reckon compared to the latest C Class and 3 Series, but still a very nice place to be.

This was my old E91....

335interior2.jpg

335interior1.jpg

I had the 335i but I preferred the 330i if I am honest, just more rewarding.

Had a 55 plate 330d M Sport.

Great engine and gear box

Bone jarring ride. V expensive run-flats

Kept if for 6 months and sold before all my fillings fell out.

I think the interior is functional and do like simplicity of it. Love that colour combination of cream leather and aluminium. Not seen too many like that.

Tried a couple BMW forums, completely void of any real useful info and not participation. Have I been spoiled on my club?

Tried a couple BMW forums, completely void of any real useful info and not participation. Have I been spoiled on my club?
I think perhaps you need some wraparound oakleys with iridium lenses, a bluetooth headset, tone-on-tone shirt/tie with a slack knot and then hose yourself down with Joop! before they'll let you walk among them... :devil:

my brother inlaw has one. ive driven it a few times.
The stereo oem is terrible. The handling is good but it can tramline and jumpy at low speeds, the steering wheel is thick and chunky and gives i really nice responsive feel on the twisty bends. The engine once it gets its revs up is pretty nippy but isnt fast. The mpg is not very good around the 23 mark.

tried e90post.com ?

Tried e90post zero response so far. Will try the other links posted.

Considering how much activity we have on this forum I was expecting lots of good advice on the BMW ones too. Yet to see this though

ive had one
really liked it, very quick around 28-30mpg - handles very well but a hard ride
i did 40,000 miles in mine it used a little oil but not much else
i had a manual - which was very smooth and flexible
mine was a petrol not sure how it compares to the diesel

Last edited:
Tried e90post zero response so far. Will try the other links posted.

Considering how much activity we have on this forum I was expecting lots of good advice on the BMW ones too. Yet to see this though

Did you post in the UK section??

gIzzE said:
Did you post in the UK section??

Yup. Uk section. Had a few replies since so getting there. Just doesnt seem to be as instant as this forum

I had an E92 330i Manual M-Sport, and did 20k miles in it in a year, before buying my current car. The car was great, engine was very reliable apart from a fuel pump which needed replacing 8 months into ownership.

The 20" alloys and the m-sport suspension do give a seriously harsh ride. I would say driving my previous CLK or my SL is like driving on a magic carpet compared to it. I also had 2 cracked rims, one which was replaced under warranty and another which was out of warranty, but BMW paid for as a gesture of goodwill.

Servicing from a main dealer was about 300quid a pop if i remember correctly.

edit: oh another thing, I had numerous run flats replaced, which were very costly. At least 300£ a corner.

Last edited:
I had an E92 330i Manual M-Sport, and did 20k miles in it in a year, before buying my current car. The car was great, engine was very reliable apart from a fuel pump which needed replacing 8 months into ownership.

The 20" alloys and the m-sport suspension do give a seriously harsh ride. I would say driving my previous CLK or my SL is like driving on a magic carpet compared to it. I also had 2 cracked rims, one which was replaced under warranty and another which was out of warranty, but BMW paid for as a gesture of goodwill.

Servicing from a main dealer was about 300quid a pop if i remember correctly.

edit: oh another thing, I had numerous run flats replaced, which were very costly. At least 300£ a corner.

Do you mind telling us what your average mpg was and your driving habits please?

Do you mind telling us what your average mpg was and your driving habits please?

I was averaging about 23mpg. I drove swiftly and made progress on motorways. On the other side of the coin, I made it from Hackney to Saffron Walden, Essex on 1 dial of petrol after losing my wallet and having no battery left on my phone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom