Eagle F1, GS-D3...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
Further to this previous post...

I got some new rubber, all round, today... £80 each for 205-55x16 inc VAT and balancing, from the same local supplier as last time.

Question is... does 20 months or approx 16.5k miles seem a little low or would this be normal wear?

The only reason I ask is that the front tyres were Michelin Pilot HX's and they were originally fitted to the car when I first bought it back in Jan 02, so they have lasted me 28 months, 23.3k miles.

S.

Steve_Perry said:
so they have lasted me 28 months, 23.3k miles.

S.

.....and don't forget a couple of laps of the 'you know what' !!! :D :D

That sounds a bit on the low side, but depends on your driving style, I guess

My Toyos are down to 3mm all round after roughly 19K - so there's a bit of life left in them yet - but doubt I would get much more out of them.

S.

sym said:
.....and don't forget a couple of laps of the 'you know what' !!! :D :D

Ohhhh yeah :D :devil: and boy were they tacky after the laps :) The tyres!!

sym said:
That sounds a bit on the low side, but depends on your driving style, I guess....
I freely admit I drive like a bit of tw@t in that I tend to accelerate very hard but I usually stick to about 10%+ legal speed limits e.g. 33 in town and around 78 on the motorways. My driving style changes if I have passengers though as I can see that enthusiastic driving isn't fair to those that don't appreciate it. I have been a bit calmer these last 8 months, since the [post=33123]intermittant pedal value sensor fault[/post] has shown itself. It's usually activated after a Kickdown, boy how I miss kickdown.

The front tyres would have lasted a quite bit longer but my steering drag link bar (A202 460 05 05 - RRP £115.35 +VAT) had developed a loose fixing bolt that had caused uneven wear on the front tyres, especially the near side. The drag link bar is the bar that the steering damper attaches to. The car is much tighter on the road since I had it replaced (by an independent) yesterday and doesn't clatter at all now when going over potholes / uneven surfaces.

S.

Im really disappointed with my goodyear NCT 5's . 12k and i need to change the rears :S

Im switching to michelins after having to put up with both pirelli and goodyear tyres ....

Hi,

Goodyear Eagle eats up the rubber, the best I ever got from my Alfa 166 was 12,000 miles on the front and 15,000 on the back (hard driving)

The continental tyres on my new E Class seem to be lasting longer

:cool:

Your tyre choice is top notch, but the F1's are soft compound and 16K sounds fine. Just be glad your rubber costs what they did - in 17" 245's you are looking more £140-£150

I bought Goodyear F1 gsd3 tyres ( 225/45 x 17 ) at the end of last year and they cost me £130 each so £80 seems a very good price , where were they from I'll see if I can get a quote for my fronts ?

Pringles said:
I bought Goodyear F1 gsd3 tyres ( 225/45 x 17 ) at the end of last year and they cost me £130 each so £80 seems a very good price , where were they from I'll see if I can get a quote for my fronts ?
Bear in mind that £80 was for 205-55x16 so 225/45 x 17's will be alot more than that. Having said that, I got my tyres from a local vendor in Swansea called "Town Tyres". You could also try mytyres.co.uk, here are their prices:
205-55x16 - £71.10
225-45x17 - £91.80

Hope that helps.

S.

P.S. If you click the picture of the tyre above that takes you to mytyres.co.uk page for 205 F1's from there you can access the main page and search for what you're looking for.

Thanks , I'll give town tyres a call as I am travelling to Pembrokeshire via the M4 in a couple of weeks.

Always remember............ the only thing between you and the road is those 4 patches of rubber....... :D

Goodyear Eagle F1, maybe soft, but what the hell... I need grip... :cool:
Prices.... well try 245/40x18's and 275/35x18's..................

I have F1 all round.... and no complaints..... even in the wet, and a few laps of "you know what" :D :D

Good choice Steve.. :cool:

Well . . . having just spent far too much money on some nice new shiny AMG Rims, and discovering the price hike in 17" tyres, I have had to compromise a little on the tyres that I would normally fit (TOYOS!!!), and I have gone to the cheap(er!) end of the market

Have just ordered some Kumho Ecsta 712s 225/45/17 & 245/40/17 - from www.blackcircles.com, which I am assured are very good. The cost ; £315 fully fitted, which I thought was pretty decent.

I am told that they perform just as well as the big boys, and will report back on Thursday when fitted.

S.

Can't wait for the pics Sym. Shude rates Kumho's. Shude has also been known to find his car in a field upside down. I am sure they will be fine. Welcome to the exbensive tyre gang.

sym said:
Well . . . having just spent far too much money on some nice new shiny AMG Rims, and discovering the price hike in 17" tyres, I have had to compromise a little on the tyres that I would normally fit (TOYOS!!!), and I have gone to the cheap(er!) end of the market

Have just ordered some Kumho Ecsta 712s 225/45/17 & 245/40/17 - from www.blackcircles.com, which I am assured are very good. The cost ; £315 fully fitted, which I thought was pretty decent.

I am told that they perform just as well as the big boys, and will report back on Thursday when fitted.

S.
Sym, have you got different sized rims on front and rear then? Notice you have wider boots on the back.

I ask because when I order my 17s I'm not sure whether to go for a set of 7.5s or 2 7.5s and two 8.5s...

Thanks,

Greg

Greg

Yes - 7.5J ET35 on the fronts, and 8.5J ET30 on the rears.

S.

The wear you mention seems pretty good to me, my old car ate Pirelli P Zero Rossos (225/40/18) in under 8K, changed them for Eagle F1 GSD3's & it did 6 K with very little wear on the tyres before I sold it on.

I tagging on the back of this thread as it seems as good an idea as any.

The Goodyear F1's on the rear of the 230K have been there for 10K miles and are a smidge away from the 2mm bar around the centre (annoys me that it's just the centre especially as I run at only 29PSI!!).

Anyway, by the time another 1400 mile has passed and it's service time they will need replacing.

I intend to buy online, chuck them in the boot and have them fitted at service.

So is it me or have Goodyear F1's dissappeared from www.blackcircles.com and http://www.mytyres.co.uk ???

I am looking in 245/45/17 - my error 245/40/17 fitment, only need a pair.

Any recommendations/ideas?

I am tempted to try some Dunlop SP9000's instead. I like a grippy tyre so wear I can't grumble at, but if the SP9000's are as good and maybe last a little longer so be it.

Last edited:
what about www.micheldever.co.uk?

you heard about Dunlop SP Sport MAXX?

GrahamC230K said:
So is it me or have Goodyear F1's dissappeared from www.blackcircles.com and http://www.mytyres.co.uk ???

I am looking in 245/45/17 fitment, only need a pair.

Any recommendations/ideas?

I am tempted to try some Dunlop SP9000's instead. I like a grippy tyre so wear I can't grumble at, but if the SP9000's are as good and maybe last a little longer so be it.

I meant more online suppliers than alternative tyres. Thanks any how. Don't do budget tyres.

Oh dear, the beers have got to me. Shude has just pointed out that i meant 245/40. No wonder I could not find them. Panic over :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom