Ear phones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I am going to buy some new ear phones when I am over in new york.

I am debating between Bose, Sure's or does any have any other recomendations?

Many thanks

Tan

Hi

I am going to buy some new ear phones when I am over in new york.

I am debating between Bose,
Sure's
or does any have any other
recomendations
?

Many thanks

Tan
what ever you do make sure that they do not crush you head, also obliterate all other sounds as that can be dangerous

Last edited:
I have a pair of Westone UM2, used to have Etymotic ER6.

The Westones are the best if you're into wide response and clarity, S h u r e SE530s are more bassy but also very good. Got my Westones from HK from an ebay seller for about 120 quid - bargain compared to UK prices.

Either way, going S h u r e or Westone, or UE, all thrash Bose for real sound quality.

Last edited:
Have a read of a Hi-fi mag :)

Whatever you decide, this is the best place in NY for electronics http://www.jr.com/ Remember to add ~7% tax to prices :)

I was advised by a Marine Radio Operator, to place the fones over your temples and never your ears! I've been doing this and find that position much more comfortable and it doesn't detract from the music.

Last edited:
I always thought Sennheiser make some of the best?

Try them out first here then stick to the model etc when you get their.

I remember (think its Cannal street) lots of Audio places..

They look interesting.. might give them a test

A word of warning............

If you do seek out a retailer of Stax headphones and then you do a comparison test, you WILL end up either with an empty wallet but very happy ears - OR - a half empty wallet but with unhappy ears.

Electrostatic headphones offer the same advantages as electrostatic speakers over normal speakers.
That is uncoloured pure sound. Sound where you can actually HEAR the difference. The sound is open and people actually sound like people. Not people through a loudspeaker or headphones.
The only weakness of electrostatic speakers is a falloff in in the lower registers around the 60-50Hz region. however, many still claim that the Quad electrostatics from the 1960's offer the best sound of all. Despite being a design of around 50 years old. However, because of headphone design, this problem does not manifest itself in headphones. Witness the 6Hz lower frequency of the top model from Stax. Slightly academic as no known instument goes below about 12Hz - and that is the fundemental lower note from a mechanically driven church organ.
Overkill maybe, but they are the best and a full Stax system with power source could set you back several thousands of pounds.
Depends on your priorities really - and the depth of your pockets. If you want the best - then its Stax. If you are happy with a compromise then there are many cheaper ordinary headphones out there that will give you 80-90% of the sound for 10% of the price.

Then again, we COULD all drive around in Fiestas............

Last edited:
After having a good look around in New York, I found that the headphones were much the same proce as they are here so taking into account the warranty I have decided to but them here.

I shortlisted V Moda's, Ultimate Ears Super Fi IV's, and have finally decided on ***** SE210's.

I liked the SE310's in terms of looks but from all accounts they are not worth the extra £45.

Next question, does anyone know any good deals? If not then I will be ordering them from Play.com who have them for £64.99 including delivery.

Did you ever get to listen to any STAX models?

Unfortunatley I have not had the chance to listen to any. To be honest the only pair that I have heard is the V-moda's and that pair turned out to be faulty. Most shops say that they are sealed for health reasons as they are canal earphones.

Thank everyone for your help, I got some ***** SE210's. I found a pair that had open packaging in ***** dealer and as they were available on the web for £65 I managed to haggle them down to £52.50.

I wanted the black ones, but for the saving thought that these white ones were a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom