Early COMAND Aux In Options?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, Cooper S, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
Good evening all. I have a COMAND DX unit in the SL500, and if I replace the SL500 with an SL55 AMG, I'll be looking for one with a COMAND NTG1 unit, not another DX. Both have 3.5mm jack plug Aux inputs.

I'd like to be able to play MP3 tracks off a memory stick, not an iPod. Is this a realistic ambition, and if so, can anyone recommend a suitable 12v player unit which I could plumb into a switched live feed and keep in the glovebox?

There's plenty of cheap mp3 players available, don't blame you for avoiding ipod if you don't already subscribe to Apple products.

There are lots of units that seem to use or offer bluetooth and radio, and plug into the cigarette lighter, but I don't want to stream music; I just want to play tracks off a USB memory stick. The stick will plug into the player, the electronic wizardry in the player will do its stuff, and hey presto! music will flow through the jack plug, through the COMAND unit, and out of the speakers.

For example, is this any use?

Hot 3.5mm AUX Audio Plug Jack To USB Female Converter 12V Car CD Player JDUK | eBay

The problem is, I don't really understand what I'm looking at...

Last edited:
I had this exact one working just fine with my old NTG2 Audio 20.
You'd need a powered 4-pin 3.5mm AUX jack socket and this adapter.

I actually have both (brand new) and have no need for these - you're more than welcome to them.
PM me and I'll drop 'em in the post for you:)

Last edited:
Double check the NTG1 comand in the SL55 has an aux. I think you'll find it doesnt!

The best way to get MP3 tracks playing from a USB stick is to ditch the CD changer and replace it with a Dension GW500

Reactions: GLK
David, PM sent.

Thanks Alfie. The SL500 has the COMAND DX, and there is an aux in; I'm just planning ahead - I can see me ending up in an SL55 in due course. Thank you also for the tip on NTG1 units not having an aux in; istr (possibly wrongly...) that my pre-facelift W211s both had one, so does that apply to all of them, or just some?

Last edited:
Double check the NTG1 comand in the SL55 has an aux. I think you'll find it doesnt!

The best way to get MP3 tracks playing from a USB stick is to ditch the CD changer and replace it with a Dension GW500

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Would the Dension Gateway fit the NTG1 in my 2008 W211? If so what is the approximate cost to supply and fit? I am happy to lose the CD autochanger.

PM is you prefer.

Last edited:
David, PM sent.

Thanks Alfie. The SL500 has the COMAND DX, and there is an aux in; I'm just planning ahead - I can see me ending up in an SL55 in due course. Thank you also for the tip on NTG1 units not having an aux in; istr (possibly wrongly...) that my pre-facelift W211s both had one, so does that apply to all of them, or just some?

W211's (NTG 1) with comand had an AUX, The MY2005 - MY2008 SL's had NTG1 but no AUX!

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Would the Dension Gateway fit the NTG1 in my 2008 W211? If so what is the approximate cost to supply and fit? I am happy to lose the CD autochanger.

PM is you prefer.

Yes if you have Comand. Email me your VIN number to [email protected] ;-)

David, PM sent.

The NTG1's in the SL's do not have AUX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom