Early R129 Wiring Loom issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanSL

Car
1995 Model SL500
Hello all,

Can someone enlighten me as to what year this was sorted?

Cheers,

Dan

Cheers guys - that's what I gathered from post's I'd read on here. Post's that mention it's an issue for early cars are a bit misleading then in that case as it applies to all cars up until the last of the run models.

In a nut-shell please - what exactly is the issue?

the loom is biodegradeable and it therefore bio degrades whilst still in use!

Can cause anything from a lumpy idle to death of your engine ECU.

Environmentally friendly wiring loom - nice touch! ahead of it's time!

On a serious note; are there any measures that can be taken and how much would it cost?

Mine's a '95 and I do not have any bill's for any work done on the loom. Would you imagine that it would've had to have been done by now

Just take a look at some of the plug connectors etc, the insulation will be hard and cracking.
Just because you dont have a receipt, doesnt mean its not been done?

Environmentally friendly wiring loom - nice touch! ahead of it's time!

On a serious note; are there any measures that can be taken and how much would it cost?

Mine's a '95 and I do not have any bill's for any work done on the loom. Would you imagine that it would've had to have been done by now

You say that, but mine was only just done this year. It was pretty grim when Olly removed the old one.

Last edited:
It may well have been done (fingers crossed); I'll check it out at the weekend. My cars had two previous owners and the last one had it for four years and retained all the bills from the same idie and if it's needed doing it's been done but nothing relating the wiring. Prior to that the book is stamped at the correct intervals by MB but no bills.

I'm just making enquiries off the back of stuff I've read - i've not had any isses......touch wood.

I probably don't wanna know this, but how much did it cost you to sort Dolphin?

Why the hell would you make the loom from bio-degradable material?! That's madness from any manufacture let alone Merc on their flagship model!!

The looms are about £500 ish from the dealer and then there's the labour to fit or do it yourself.

Was your car displaying any symptoms or did your connections look dodgy or was it just a precaution worth doing at that time?

Was your car displaying any symptoms or did your connections look dodgy or was it just a precaution worth doing at that time?

Car was running fine, it only came to light when they disconnected the loom to remove the engine, it crumbled apart.

Pretty shocked really at the potential severity of this. Thought a '95 would've been well clear as I've heard about issues on 'early' models so assumed that that would be the first few years - not six years after release!

Stupid error by Merc - there's always something I s'pose.

Yeah, so do I - a totally unecessary issue caused by the green brigade. And when you think of all the other polymers in the cars what was the point?!

Out of interest - are the repalcements made out of proper material?

I think that's shocking if they're identical!

Have been reading that some owners kicked-off about this stateside. I think Merc should've been shown up on this as their should've been a recall - dodgy electrics are dangerous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom