Early unwanted Christmas presents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
In the shape of meetings without coffee or biscuits and letters telling me and most others in my department that wef from 28th December our employment is terminated because our division is being closed down. Those who remain will be covering "legacy" business and will be gone before 2013 is out.

Been on the cards for a long while so no great shock to me (plus I am being offered a decent package) and the arrival of some suits from Head Office on Monday followed by many a closed door was the clear peal o' doom.

But despite bitter old cynics like me giving clear "be careful" noise for at least 12 months the younger ones have had their heads up their proverbial behinds in idiotic denial. Like car crashes, it will never happen to them.

Thus there will be at least one order for a C63 being cancelled and one chap managed to pull out of exchanging contracts (and a mega mortgage) by the skin of his teeth this morning.

Anger, confusion, some tears. Not a pretty sight. Most are already gone or in the pub.

As for me, desk cleared some months ago.

And the best bit? Departmental Christmas lunch, already paid for, due to start in 15 minutes!

Sad to hear that - hope you have something lined up soon!

You don't happen to work for a "systems integrator" do you (or an IT provider for telecommunications)?

And the best bit? Departmental Christmas lunch, already paid for, due to start in 15 minutes!

Well at least you can get drunk and try to snog Lucy from Accounts without having to worry about the consequences.

My commiserations, Satch. In the past, I have had to deal with this sort of thing from both ends, so to speak and it isn't pleasant. The key thing is that the past is done - only the future can be changed. All the best for the future. Les

I lived through 10 annual rounds of Christmas redundancies, until they added a couple during the year, saw numerous colleagues go, make several redundant myself and then early December a few years back, I received the same the day after returning from holiday. I'd cleared my desk long since as I saw which way the wind was blowing.

Despite all the insouciance not a happy time, seeing others lives turned upside down is never fun, and I decided early on in my post city career that I'd rather be my own boss and live with the consequences.

Best wishes and I hope you find something suitably congenial and or remunerative!

sorry to hear your news
sadly this always seems to happen at this time of year and your points about caution should be noted but rarely are
this type of thing brings out the best and worst in people some retain their dignity whereas others disgrace themselves, with any bad news there are undoubtably some who fair well or better, sadly humility is sometimes overlooked
but we do get to see peoples true colours
hope 2013 brings some decent opportunities
keep smiling and good luck to you

Not the best of news, but at least you have been offered a fair handshake.

Hope something comes along that suits your wants. :thumb:

But despite bitter old cynics like me giving clear "be careful" noise for at least 12 months the younger ones have had their heads up their proverbial behinds in idiotic denial. Like car crashes, it will never happen to them.

10 years ago in October this year, I was a "younger one" when the dot com bust came along, and I got the big R after a few sessions of the axe being swung over the course of a year.

I didn't have "bitter old cynics" telling me anything but I also didn't think for one minute it would be me on the list. I knew the axe was swinging, and although I never denied I would be got, I never considered my position.

I'd just taken on not insubstantial mortgage on my own back in March too.

If it wasn't for my own ability with money (looking after it), I would probably have been handing the keys back and moving back home for a second time.

Good luck with finding what you are looking for.

In hindsight, it was excellent for me - gave me a kick up the backside and I found something a lot better which opened up better opportunities.

This has only ever happened to me once, when I was a teenager. It was only a part-time job, but I remember feeling quite hollow and worthless when they told me they no longer required my services. Hope things work out well for you.

I've been through this myself over the past few weeks. Worse in fact as I was initially told my job was going... then that it *might* be that I would be needed afterall and then dropped in the deep end trying to cover 12 peoples work with just 5 remaining.

Having just had 3 successive 70 hour weeks I'm wondering if taking the package might have been the better option.:eek:

Still on a teleconference as I write and last night I didnt finish until 2am.

I've been through this myself over the past few weeks. Worse in fact as I was initially told my job was going... then that it *might* be that I would be needed afterall and then dropped in the deep end trying to cover 12 peoples work with just 5 remaining.

Having just had 3 successive 70 hour weeks I'm wondering if taking the package might have been the better option.:eek:

Still on a teleconference as I write and last night I didnt finish until 2am.

That sort of situation can be spun very well on any cv if the need arises.
Make the most of it.

At least the party wasn't cancelled! Best of luck.

After swinging past the pub where a full on session was in progress, went to the "party" to find a glum looking bunch of about 15 in a function room that had been booked for 90.

So went back to the pub and made the obvious point: Did they want to drink at their own expense or soon to be ex employer?

Well ended up with about half the intended number so out with the mobiles and invited anyone who was free along. Turned out well given the cicumstances

However as the afternoon wore on, some got a bit "emotional" and out of hand so whilst we had the place until 17.00 we were "invited to leave" somewhat earlier.

This morning found a vast envelope on the doormat containing a "Welcome Pack" from a "Career Realignment" outfit. From what I can see through this hangover, get a 12 month support package including use of office space, CV writing, training courses on interview techniques, etc etc etc.

Mrs S. had a typical response to the bad news:

1) Well you will live longer

2) You hated your boss, the daily commute and all the bull**** anyway

3) Don't get in my way

Well today went back to office as arranged to do final handover/clearout/destroy evidence etc. If it had not bee so serious, would have been hilarious.

Barraged with 101 questions: " where is this/where is that/how did you/ how do I/ etc etc"

Well it is all in my emails, saved files and archives

"Ah, yes, well......"

Day we all got canned all email accounts, network profiles, archives and desktops accounts deleted.

No problem says I. Will all be in the backups

"Ah, yes, well......"

Apparently everything gone. Nix, nil, nothing, nada to be recovered. I thought this to be not merely incredible but an outright lie by *******s who cannot be bothered , so suggested they push back a bit harder against the IT guys.

No, vast **** up, we assured nothing can be recovered ever. All gone.

So a simple question: Is that, in the context of an organisation Regulated in the UK, US and Europe, even barely credible?

So a simple question: Is that, in the context of an organisation Regulated in the UK, US and Europe, even barely credible?

Oh yes.

Do you have the name of your regulator? :)

As ye sow, so shall ye reap.:dk:

Or the one finger salute as often displayed for those with a hearing impairment. It would appear on this occasion it was applied to the delete key.

Offer to come back as a consultant to " sort it all out " Of course it would have to be part time and would have to fit in with any other commitments you might have the future. Did I mention the " double salary rate " you would have to charge? ;)

Last edited:
Can't believe the company were so stupid as to not taking steps to protect data.

Rule #1 when sacking - take the guns away from the disgruntled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom