Early? W203 Battery change advice - Slave battery / blown SAMs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

honestguv

Hi guys. Just prior to replacing the Alarm Siren on my w203 (December 2003 53 plate) as per my other posts, my car failed to start (probably due to the alarm probs). RAC called out and chap reckons I have a dodgy cell in the battery. Reading up on lots of posts I see that the ‘early’ w203 are prone to (rear) SAM’s blowing when replacing batteries with a circa £300 repair bill – ouch! FYI - current battery was installed by Mercedes in 2006. A couple of questions if I may:

1) Would my December 2003 53 plate C180k be termed as an ‘early’ w203? It is pre-face lift.
2) Would people suggest ensuring a slave battery is attached prior to the battery change? Most garages (including my main dealer) do not readily offer using a slave, so I was thinking about getting the RAC man to replace as they will defo have available leads and a spare 12v supply.
3) Any other suggestions?

All feedback appreciated.

I had the battery on my 2001 S203 replaced at ATS Hastings, they had a slave battery, I had decent jump leads so we connected the slave to the "spare" +ve terminal under the red plastic cover under the bonnet, connected the slave -ve to the big suspension nut, then disconnected the old battery and installed its replacement. Had no problems with SAM, radio codes or anything. Just remember that, using this method, the main battery leads remain live!!

I had the battery on my 2001 S203 replaced at ATS Hastings, they had a slave battery, I had decent jump leads so we connected the slave to the "spare" +ve terminal under the red plastic cover under the bonnet, connected the slave -ve to the big suspension nut, then disconnected the old battery and installed its replacement. Had no problems with SAM, radio codes or anything. Just remember that, using this method, the main battery leads remain live!!

Thanks Chris. I think I will try to keep power to the car when the battery is replaced. And yes thanks for the reminder that the positive lead will still be live when the battery is being swapped. :D

When I did mine had ignition on spare battery connected via cigar lighter and changed no problems at all , mine is a 2001 , so properly an early version

Thanks for the feedback :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom