Early W203 for £5000?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martin

Car
C200K Avantgarde, MINI One & Classic Mini
I have owned an early W202 for 7 years (1993 L Reg C220 Sport auto, petrol, silver, air con,facelift alloys & bumpers) which is still very reliable and rust free at 150K miles, does 2000 mile round trips to Italy/France or Spain every year.
My brother is offering me his 1 owner from new early W203 (2001 X Reg C200K Avantgarde 98K miles, auto, petrol, silver,with light colour leather interior, air con and sunroof, zenons) trade in price offered at a BMW dealer was £4850.........with 4 new tyres and a new MOT added he has offered it to me for £5000.
He's had a few problems with it like usual front suspension bushes, the engine management light sometimes comes on soon after any service but is switched out by an independent garage, the ESP light also comes on occasionally, the alloys need a refurb and there is a slight tear to one leather door panel.
The question is should I swap for that price, I would be happy to get say 50K more miles out of the W203 over 5/6 years with reasonable reliability and expenses?
Would I be better off considering something else completely, Lexus IS, BMW 3 Series bearing in mind some of Mercedes quality problems in this era?
How much would I be likely to get for the old W202 sport, £1000-1500? There seem to be a lot for sale around £1000 or less, do they take long to sell at the right price privately in Autotrader?
Thanks for any of your thoughts or advice..........I need to decide by Boxing Day when I visit and do a test drive, etc!

If your brother has been offered a p/x price by a dealer why is he offering it to you for MORE.... without a p/x he can get a better deal at the dealers...so he should be offering it to you at least at the same price....if not slightly less..

If your brother has been offered a p/x price by a dealer why is he offering it to you for MORE.... without a p/x he can get a better deal at the dealers...so he should be offering it to you at least at the same price....if not slightly less..

I guess he's just trying to cover the cost/hassle of him getting the new tyres, new no.plates (personal plate) and an MOT, with the possibility of further expense for him if it fails, rather than just p/x to the dealer as it stands.

I've heard alot of bad things about W203's... and the W202 u have is the first one MB built.. (right?). I had a c200 '95 model and it lasted me and my dad (and we have very heavy feet) from 98k all the way to 179k with 0 problems (just brake pads and tyres).

I would recommend u keep yours :) but see what everyone else thinks too.

I would give it a miss, the first generation W203 are not the best ones to go for as the face lifted cars are much better. If you want a hassle free life then lexus I200 may be a good alternative as it sound like your brothers car still has issues with the electrics which may be expensive to sort out.

I would hesitate on a test drive - it might make it harder NOT to swap!

Surely the ESP light is indicative of possible ABS sensor/ECU problems? If so, this might be expensive! But this one does come with full known history which is worth something.

I would hesitate on a test drive - it might make it harder NOT to swap!

Surely the ESP light is indicative of possible ABS sensor/ECU problems? If so, this might be expensive! But this one does come with full known history which is worth something.

Yes the known history helps, (I also bought my W202 from him) and the test drive might sway me. If I do go for it I was thinking of taking out warranty direct cover...........about £300 per year up to 130,000 miles and having the radiator/transmission cooler checked or replaced as it seems to be a common failure on earlier cars?

I just won't buy a car from a member of my family. It isn't worth the hassle.

I've got an early 203 Y reg, 2nd owner since new, 63K miles and I've done 20k of these in the last year. So far, no major problems and I've done all the servicing myself (with the help of forum members I will add)

I would go for it.
:bannana:

I have a W203 C180 (2litre non turbo) Y reg auto estate with no major probs just the usual gearbox oil change and new battery. Would certainly buy again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom