Earthquake!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy_k

MB Enthusiast
Car
Alfa GTV 3.0
got woken up this morning with the house shaking

checked the news to find out that Folkestone has been hit by an earthquake

Andy

;) <insert 'did the Earth move for you?' joke here> ;)

lol @ Masq :D :D

and Wow @ Andy - must have been quite unnerving :crazy:

Just wait for the green experts to start blaming it on Global warming .
Tax to go up if you live in a tremor Zone

Kent hit by 5-magnitude earthquake
Last Updated: Saturday, 28 April 2007, 09:02 GMT

British Geological Survey seismograph showing the earth tremor that hit Kent. Parts of Kent have been hit by an earth tremor.

The European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre recorded a tremor of 5.0 magnitude around 4.3 miles south east of Ashford at 8.18am, according to its website.

Sharon Hayles, who lives in the village of Stanford near the Eurotunnel at Folkestone, said her house slid from side to side for about 10 to 15 seconds.

There was no damage to her home, but she said the tremor, which hit at 8.18am, shook the house like a "fun fair ride".
Fire officials said they were being inundated with "lots and lots" of calls from residents in the Folkestone area.

A Kent Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "We have had calls from people saying their chimneys have fallen down, and that large cracks have appeared in people's houses."

It is understood householders felt the tremor further afield including in East Sussex, Essex and Suffolk.

Hendrick van Eck, 27, who lives in Canterbury, said the tremor lasted a matter of seconds.

He said: "I was lying in bed and it felt as if someone had just got up from bed next to me.

"I then heard the sound of cracking, and it was getting heavier and heavier. It felt as if someone was at the end of my bed hopping up and down.

"I thought 'that must have been earthquake'. It didn't last very long, just a matter of seconds."

"I then heard the sound of cracking, and it was getting heavier and heavier. It felt as if someone was at the end of my bed hopping up and down.

The mind boggles as he must have a reference point for this:crazy: :D

no damage, we are about 40 miles away, we just felt the house shaking

strange way to wake up on a Saturday though

Andy

Listening to some of the reports by 'eye witnesses' I'm surprised there has not been wholesale destruction. I understand the epicentre was actually in the Dover Straits and this is a known earthquake fault? There have been recorded tremors dating back to the 12th century? If this is a known area then is there a weighting on prperty insurance?

Please do not think I am being flippant, it must have been extremely unnerving for those that experienced it, but some of the folks phoning in have made me change channels. "The house moved several feet!" "The Police ordered the whole street to be evacuated as they thought prperties might collapse!" "I was sat on the sofa and it moved several feet from side to side!" etc etc These folks are entitled to say what they want, but by broadcasting these claims are we reporting facts or stories?

How long before someone wants to sue the local authority for not giving ample warnings?

Take care,
John

ooh - now headline news on Radio 1:)

Hope it's not damaged the Chunnel , i'm off on a booze run next thursday !!

:crazy:

"The house moved several feet!"

I blame it on the switch to the metric system, no one has any idea about the Imperial measurement system and so their estimates are frankly miles out ;)

Alternatively of course the house starts shaking and what's referred above to is the patter patter of several feet belonging to people going, "What the *** is going on?!"

I live just outside of Folkestone,The house did shake for about 4 sec rattled the windows then the electric went off.A lot of Police and fire service activity in Folkestone and reports of damage to a few houses.As for furniture moving several feet,must have been ghosts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom