Easy repair for parking brake that's not releasing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OM651

Car
W212
Hi guys did a easy service today for the parking brake system to run smooth. Did use WD-40 and it did a great job now I don't have to help the pedal to release with my foot. Did not show in video but when car stand for a while the brake not going back at all. Some use lubricant and grease for it to last longer I don't like to put grease 😅 Keep this as a service thing and your parking brake will keep running smooth.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Excellent. Thanks for posting this video. I'm having trouble with my brake not releasing so I'll try that.

Great tip, but in the UK on mine the brake pedal is on the center consul side, not next to the window, anybody know where to spray the wd40 on the UK right hand drive cars? Mine sticks sometimes, sometimes works fine, strange..

Ok futher to this great original post, if your car is UK or right hand drive, you can remove the plastic panel under the steering column easily to access the mechanism. Its three small screws along the front edge and the under panel pulls down enough to get you can of WD40 in there and give it a good blast. Did mine yesterday, hopefully that shoud stop the thing sticking someitmes.

WD-40 could only work for a short time as it isn't a lubricant. A PTFE or silicon spray (WD-40 - The company also make these) would be better long term.

Yes thats true, I will see how long the wd 40 treatment lasts for, but I suspect it will need some proper lubricant eventually, for now though the wd40 is fine as its done its job and freed up the sticky mechnism.

Yes thats true, I will see how long the wd 40 treatment lasts for, but I suspect it will need some proper lubricant eventually, for now though the wd40 is fine as its done its job and freed up the sticky mechnism.

I find it will be ok until it gets cold for some reason.

Hi guys did a easy service today for the parking brake system to run smooth. Did use WD-40 and it did a great job now I don't have to help the pedal to release with my foot. Did not show in video but when car stand for a while the brake not going back at all. Some use lubricant and grease for it to last longer I don't like to put grease 😅 Keep this as a service thing and your parking brake will keep running smooth.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I had the same issue. I simply laid dust sheets under the parking brake and I absolutely soaked the pedal mechanism in WD40; as high up as I could get. This freed the pedal up and then I sprayed it all with clear spray grease. Bit of a guess on where I was spraying, but it has been spot on for 7 months. I think with daily usage it will now be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom