easy way to remove ml steering rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leicschris

Car
2001 w220 320cdi
Hi all

I have just changed my track rod ends on our 2000 w163 ML270CDI and notice a slight leakage from the end seals on the steering rack.

Looking at the US websites it seems to remove and replace the rack that it is necessary to also remove the front drive shafts and front diff.

Does anyone know an easier way or is this the only way as I'm a bit worried about that side of it

Thanks

Chris

Hi
I am about to change my rack next weekend.how did you get on with yours?
Mine is ML270 RHD UK

You only have to remove the driver's side driveshaft. No need to remove diff. You have to remove one of the metal pipes on the rack to clear the diff though. When fitting new rack you'll have to remove same pipe and refit after installation, that way it clears the diff. We did this job last weekend and although a bit fidly to get rack out we managed the whole job in 4 hours. Just make sure the new rack is centralised before you re-connect steering shaft and of course that the steering wheel in centralised too. If you count the number of turns it takes to remove the old track rod ends from the old rack, when you fit new ones use the same number of turns. that way the wheel alignment won't be too far out. Needless to say you'll have to get tracking done properly. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom