Eating and driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Then surely smoking at the wheel must be banned --- not only do you use your hands but are in danger of a lighted object falling between your legs....oeer missus:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I couldn't agree more smoke in the eyes and as you say end falling from the ciggy and dropping on the seat or floor, (I would like to point out I am a smoker but never in the car) bad for other passengers or the kids should be banned but same as mobiles nobody would take any notice.

If it helps, the driver can say anything she likes to the press - true or not - and the Police can not. If this were to go to court at a later date anything released by the Police to the press would be admissable.

If the reason she was spotted was her poor driving then they will not release this to the press as it may prejudice future action in court and render that evidence inadmissable...!

The simple answer is - by her evidence alone she was not in porper control of the vehicle, but if she wanted to challenge it she could go to court.

:rolleyes:

Then surely smoking at the wheel must be banned --- not only do you use your hands but are in danger of a lighted object falling between your legs....oeer missus:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Firstly, I agree people should not smoke when driving. However your statement does sound like you want smoking banned while driving because you cannot eat while driving.

I drove and smoked for over 45 years, so am more aware of the dangers than any non-smoker. I stopped smoking in the car a few years ago, so a ban would have no effect on me by the way.

The simple answer is - by her evidence alone she was not in porper control of the vehicle, but if she wanted to challenge it she could go to court.

So what exactly is the evidence here. I am genuinely bemused - so what is the text book definition of 'not in proper control'?

It is already banned, and for passengers too....

Only where it is a company vehicle though (courtesy of the UK Health Act 2006 - known to us as the Smoking Ban!)

If it helps, the driver can say anything she likes to the press - true or not - and the Police can not. If this were to go to court at a later date anything released by the Police to the press would be admissable.

If the reason she was spotted was her poor driving then they will not release this to the press as it may prejudice future action in court and render that evidence inadmissable...!

OK, so we are back to her being a liar and the police being unable to say a word. How convenient. And somewhat strange then that the police did make a statement. And by what evidence of hers was she not in proper control :)rolleyes: )? Or are you saying that it is indeed the law that eating anything makes you not have proper control of a vehicle? In which case, perhaps someone could explain where the boundaries fall (per my post above).....

Last edited:
Firstly, I agree people should not smoke when driving. However your statement does sound like you want smoking banned while driving because you cannot eat while driving.

I drove and smoked for over 45 years, so am more aware of the dangers than any non-smoker. I stopped smoking in the car a few years ago, so a ban would have no effect on me by the way.

No not at all .. I just wanted to highlight an error in this "law".....

"What if she'd killed a child?"

But she didn't, so it's not relevant. She shouldn't be punished for what didn't happen.

RH

what if she killed a child while changing a radio station?

i don't think she should have been book.

if it's going to be a law make it one. ban it along with
smoking in cars??

I feel that we don't know the full story so can't really make a judgement on whether the fine and points was just or not. Personally I think there is more to it as most traffic people I know would have cautioned her.

I actually spend more time with one hand off the wheel when using the window switch than it would take to eat a 2" crust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom