eBay account hijack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
I have a horrible theory my eBay account has been hijacked. I am getting email meesages saying response to my message I asked a seller.

I haven't used the site for months. I have since changed my Password. Trouble is in eBay it has my address and name listed.

I have since changed my password. Is there anything else I can do?

Exactly as mobiledreams said. If you have not used it for a while and you are receiving e-mails from a seller/buyer then log onto ebay from your web explorer and delete the e-mails from your e-mail account

Can you still logon to ebay? (type the address into your browser manually) Whilst there, check in My Ebay to see if the same messages appear.

Can you still logon to ebay? (type the address into your browser manually) Whilst there, check in My Ebay to see if the same messages appear.

Worryingly the email messages tally with the ones in the my Ebay section.

Hotmail normally detects spoof email, and I always forward the spoof ones to spoof at ebay.co.uk". But these a) had my registered username shown at the top of the message and were in the my eBay section.

Do you share the eBay account with anyone? An IT colleague of mine (who is mega careful about dodgy emails etc.) had his eBay account hacked and got into all sorts of disputes with them ... until it turned out his wife had responded to an email and thereby divulged the password :(

unfortunately not. Its just me that knows the password.

If the emails also appear in your my ebay then I strongly suggest you change your password now (make it very secure).

Also, change your password to the email account that corresponds to your ebay account. (do this first)

Then do the same to paypal (and the email account that corresponds to this)

Then report the matter to ebay.

What transactions have ben made? Buying, selling? Both?

All emails enquiring about items? Its most odd. I'll change all the passwords now and report to eBay.

in the my eBay page there are heaps of messages, that I have apparently sent like this. Its been going on for 3 days now.

[FONT=arial,sans-serif]"Contact us ( mossao.com )now, then you will get what you need, wholesale:
phones,PSP.display TV. notebook.video.computers. Mp3/4.GPS.Games……
Bestsellers: ps3:195 EUR,N95:320 EUR,iPhone:200 eur,xbox elite:108EUR...."[/FONT]

Having traded in electronics on eBay (for an income) I used to get these sent to me all the time, and I ignored them as they were the obvious "too good to be true scam" and they were sent to traders who wished to get cheap supplies.

I am now doing the sending. How very odd? To do this they needed my password, too late, its changed as is all my others.

probably fine (they are just spam mails) but if you think you may have responded to one, then do this:

- change your ebay username
- change your ebay password
- change your paypal email and remove your old one from the profile
- change your paypal password
- change your email associated with ebay to a new one

- ensure all new passwords etc are nothing like the old ones

= should be fine.

keep an eye on your "selling" items to ensure you dont end up trying to sell a Merc SL for £5000 buy it now!

probably fine (they are just spam mails) but if you think you may have responded to one, then do this:

- change your ebay username
- change your ebay password
- change your paypal email and remove your old one from the profile
- change your paypal password
- change your email associated with ebay to a new one

- ensure all new passwords etc are nothing like the old ones

= should be fine.

keep an eye on your "selling" items to ensure you dont end up trying to sell a Merc SL for £5000 buy it now!

I haven't responded to them, but I have been sending them out :(:( without knowing it.

Happened to me a while back. I emailed ebay and got them to close my account. Nothing else works - trust me.
Even with ebays knowledge the emails kept coming.
Give it 2-3 months after the last email and re-open your account.
Thats what I did and it worked.
PM me if you want further info.

Happened to me a while back. I emailed ebay and got them to close my account. Nothing else works - trust me.
Even with ebays knowledge the emails kept coming.
Give it 2-3 months after the last email and re-open your account.
Thats what I did and it worked.
PM me if you want further info.

You have PM :D

Thanks mate

Can not be comfortable to think that someone or some people "hijack" accounts. I know very little about things like this, however something strange happened to me the other day. I don't use eBay very often, however had made a purchase about 3 weeks ago, used PayPal without any problems.
Then bid on an item last week, and eBay said I didn't have a link to PayPal. How strange. Therefore, does one trust eBay and PayPal I wonder?

Sorry, not wishing to be a hijacker in this instance of your thread, but thought I would mention it.

Can not be comfortable to think that someone or some people "hijack" accounts. I know very little about things like this, however something strange happened to me the other day. I don't use eBay very often, however had made a purchase about 3 weeks ago, used PayPal without any problems.
Then bid on an item last week, and eBay said I didn't have a link to PayPal. How strange. Therefore, does one trust eBay and PayPal I wonder?

Sorry, not wishing to be a hijacker in this instance of your thread, but thought I would mention it.

This is just a new measure (I think they call it 'security') from Ebay and Paypal. If you look at your ebay profile and the address(es) listed for use on eBay, then you are also asked to link your paypal address to ebay.

Sounds complicated but it isnt. just follow the directions in ebay.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom